3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In this recession what are you..........  (Read 1135 times)

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In this recession what are you..........
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
I quess the wife and I have lived a relatively conservative life style for many years ,thanks to our upbringing. We have everything we need and then some, we're blessed compared to most. That said, the wife and I still have work but will need to work longer into our retirement years because of the loss to the market.

IMHO we all need to take a step back and take a good hard look at the way we live. Most live in a very wasteful, throw away, me first, society. We could get by with alot less and be just as happy if not more so. Ok, Ok, I'll get off my soapbox and get back to the question.

We planted a bigger garden, cut back on energy consumption (electricity)  slowed down on the highway for better mpg, and make our tips count. No more running to the store for small items. Traded to a better mpg vehicle.
 Never ate out much but do even less now.
I will be hunting and fishing in my home state.

Other than that I too refuse to be a part of this recession. LOL
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I am participating in this recession, not by choice or because I want too. Times are tough for a lot of folks who get up and work hard every day. I've started planting a garden, eat a lot of venison and cut back on things like satellite t.v. and am keeping my old truck instead of buying a new one. I've limited my bowhunting to whitetails. I'd love to try pig or elk hunting but right now the money is too tight. I'm thankful to God for what I have and try not to worry about the rest. Even when things are tough we americans live a much better lifestyle than most of the folks in the world.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
I still have a job, but have been cut back to 32 hours. I also sold my new truck a while back along with my boat! I then gatherd what funds I had and paid off all my bills, so I took some precautions in case of a layoff! Long story short I'm creek fishing,stump shooting, planting gardens, bought me a small truck so I'm spending alot less money on gas and enjoying my new life! I think alot of people can learn to live on alot less, I did and I like it!!! Jason

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
I've been retired for a long time, and doing fine.  A year ago, if I'd wanted to outfit a new shop for bow building, I'd have just done it, but we've lost 1/3 of our savings and my medical bills keep increasing, as does the cost of the insurance for what coverage I have, so I sold my most of my bow collection to finance the shop, rather than using "our" money.  My dream for this summer was to find a way to get to hog hunting country if I could find someone who'd take me on a hunt with them, (I want to shoot a hog with Howard Hill's own bow, and then another with one of my own) but travel money isn't there and the health took another down turn.  My wife, who'd slowed her business down to a trickle has ramped it up again and is bringing in some extra, but her work is heavy for a 72 year old... designing boat interiors, visiting boat yards and climbing around on scaffolding and through boats under construction or with work being done on them.   So, we chug along.  I'm still going to my summer shoots, but between money and health, choosing closer ones.  I'm fortunate in having a wonderful stump shooting area close by and a wife who loves to go up there, even though she doesn't shoot.  Definitely some adjustments, but it's still good.  God be with those who have lost way more and are trying to keep a family.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »
I´m doing archery like before. Even bought a new Blacktail TD. BUT leaving the car at home as often as possible and walk on foot.Pay more  attention to not wasting electricity and water.
Not every weekend in a pub. Sold the second car.
Sold the motorbike.But I refuse to sell one of my bows
   :goldtooth:
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
I made a inlaw and rented it out to pay for my house. Times are tough even the birds are walking.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
I went through a recession 9 years ago when I lost my job at age 52. Because I got serious about establishing retirement funds at age 22 I had all the bases covered and walked into retirement smiling. My wife and I are actually hitting more traditional tournaments around the south now than ever before, bought a 5th wheel camper and are enjoying life.

I am glad I had other retirement funds to rely on, my 401K has lost so much value I don't even look at the monthly statement when it arrives.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
We'r in a recession?
   ;)  
dont watch Tv or Listen to the radio
However i do spend time on the Internet but then i can look at what i want ..Tradgang mostly

im fortunate to have a nice job, but i go full speed, i dont "save things for latter" if i wana do something, i make it happen, might take a year or two but it'l happen.

going to Australia this year, hopefully back to South Africa the year after.
everyday after work im out fishing, hiking, running, stumpshooting, canoeing, biking, camping and practicing woodlore skills etc.

i can live off nothing so the recession would have to take a lot from me to take effect. Heck i live in Tipi right now, wood stove, and the basics.

in my travels accross the world iv met alot of older people and just about ALL of them regret not doing what im doing when they were young, instead of saving it until they retire and find the fire and drive has burnt down or the physical limitations restrict them really doing what they what.

life is good when simple.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Well its like this, unfortunately i`m in construction whos sector is hit the hardiest, sales is down about 80%. First time in my life i have to watch my spending..Having said that i turn down a couple hog hunts, an other hunts that i would normaly jumped on, finally i will draw my elk tag in Colorado 9yrs in the making, an i will be not denied. It will be a trip on a budget, most my shopping is probably going to be at a surplus store.. This years deer season should be good it seems that i will have alot more time to hunt...
Bull

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Hey Andy,

You have the right idea, enjoy it while you can.  I had to postpone a lot of hunting for about 10 years to get through with medical school and training.  Who knows what I missed out on?  I am recession proof now, (unfortunately cancer keeps on coming and doesn't know there is a recession, never takes a holiday)and get in a bit of outdoor hunting time.  You are also correct that time takes its toll and you might not be able to enjoy lifes fun things by the time you can afford them.  I can still chase elk all over the mountains which is what I love to do more than anything else but don't know if I have a sheep hunt in me at this point.  Keep after it , no regrets when you get old.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
I got a promotion and moved into an area with cheaper housing so I have been lucky and haven't been adversely effected!

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I bought my wife a new Buell motorcycle. I also am researching my purchases closer and trying to buy more things made in my area. I am looking to buy a used martin Savannah also but haven't found one yet for a good price. I hunt on my family farm and  never have hunted out of state. I am thinking of trying a hog hunt in Texas one of these days. I feel sorry for all those without a job. I have been down that route before. I won't ramble on about the greed that brought this economic down turn. It's like my momma always said "The chickens come home to roost".
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I agree with fireball31. If you already have the equipment and a place to hunt close to home, hunting need not be affected too greatly. I never had the money to hunt far from home, anyway but am fortunate to have a small place of my own with abundant deer and turkey. I had hoped to pick up another Hill bow, but that will have to wait. Also, I hoped to travel to a few more traditional 3D venues but now the only out of state shoots I can afford to go to are the TBOF shoots and the Howard Hill Southeastern shoot in Alabama. There have been some bad economic times in the past, and just like them, this recession will also pass. Keep plugging along - with faith and determination we will come out O.K.
Sam

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Personally, I have been doin' "The Peanut Butter Diet", and Anxiously waiting for the Car Dealers to Start the  "BIG NEW CAR GIVE-AWAY"  because Nobody Can  BUY  Them!!  :readit:  'Course, then ya STILL have to "Feed The Beasts" at $2.45/Gal here.
    I can Dream Cant I???   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline econnell71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »
I learned to lean right when the life goes left  :knothead:
Martin Savannah LB 62" 60@28
Martin Vision LB 66" 65@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 55#@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 45@28"
Martin Jaguar bowfish recurve
Martin Rebel...who knows
"If you teach your kids how to hunt..You won't have to hunt your kids!"

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shakes.602:
  'Course, then ya STILL have to "Feed The Beasts" at $2.45/Gal here.

In germany you have to pay $6,6/gal.....    :(
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
I guess I am lucky, my southern conservative upbringing has always taught me to be frugal, my buddies call me a tight wad, my wife is even tighter with money. My parents had health problems at an early age, has made me paranoid and always put money back for a rainy day, and lived within my means and never worried about what the guy next door had, or thought since he didnt pay my bills. I have had good jobs, but have always worked hard to keep them, feel like I have earned every paycheck. A bunch of guys I Know are scared to death about the economy, when asking me what I am doing, I just planted a bigger garden, plan on filling the freezer again with venision. My wife drew a Bull elk tag here in KY this year, that is going to be our vacation/hunting splurge this fall, spending a week in tht part of the state, and gas for pre season scouting, and I have faith we will end up with a freezer topped off with Elk Meat! I also pride myself in making lots of my archery tackle, did same with muzzle loading acoutrements over the years, as well as being a pretty good machinist and gunsmith. My hobbys have to be self supporting, dont take funds out of my checking account to buy bows, etc., have to make the funds working on firearms, knives, etc. to pay for my archery habit! Most of all, I have been blessed by God to have my needs met,not my wants.
samuel koger

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Refusing to participate in a recession is cute.

Im not stopping shooting or hunting, but Im only buying what I absolutely require to to continue those activities.
Ive never been a traveling hunter so thats not an issue for me fortunately.

My work is has pretty much stopped(no one is building anything) but Im single and not in debt so I can live cheap and have plenty of time to garden.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Ok, everyone back to WORK, were not getting paid to beleve in the power of our DREAMS!  :smileystooges:    :bigsmyl:  

Just kidding! Keep your chin up and keep moving forward.

Raven >>>>------->

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
Things have been good for me, bought a house, new truck, and hunting alot!  I live well bellow my means so no real worries here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©