3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hawaii Bound in July! looking for some info on hunting  (Read 809 times)

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
Hawaii Bound in July! looking for some info on hunting
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Me and the GF are going to Hawaii in July, and I'm tossing in my recurve!  I'm taking care of my Hunter Ed stuff so I'm good to go.  Any one have some info on hunting the Kona side of the big island?  Would love to get on some sheep or goats.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hawaii Bound in July! looking for some info on hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
Take lots of arrows and be sure to coat the broadheads with vaseline or chapstick.  That salt air is very hard on steel.  Never hunted the Big Island so I'll let someone else detail that for ya.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Contact Ryan(S2 Bowstrings on TradGang). His e-mail is [email protected]. He is an accomplished bowhunter who lives and teaches on one of the islands. Should be able to point you in the right direction.  :thumbsup:

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Yep, another second for my brother Ryan. He had knee surgery not long ago but may be healed up by then. At least he could point you in the right direction.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Sweet!  thanks for the heads up.  I'm shooting him a pm right now!

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I'm going there next month, I'll give you a full report.
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Hunt the area above the check in station that is on the Kona side of the military land. Use camo, including your face, walk SLOW and look alot. Sheep are very visually oriented.

Read the regs.

Take water.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
I'll be going in July as well. Only I'll be in Kuai
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Kuai is something to see, be sure to take one of the boats around the Nepali coast and watch for the goats and backpackers.

Don't I remember that you had to apply for hunting stuff way ahead of time down there?  Like four months out?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
I'm calling wed.  I was a told a month is plenty of time and might even be able to just do it on the internet.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
ttt

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Howzit Adam,

Been off da site a few months-----been haunting another forum.

Jus' when check in and saw that you are coming to the Big Island. Where are you staying in Kona? I am on the east side of the island about a two hour drive away. How long are you and your better half staying? Reason I ask is that "da gang" plans to fly to Oahu for a 3D shoot on the 11th of July. We will be flying out on th 10th and returning on the 12th.

Don't know if Pohakuloa Military reservation will be open for archery but there are other public places to hunt as my brahdah saltwatertom posted above. Maybe we can try and hook up fo' one hunt eh?

Eh, I also noticed that you are almost but not quite half my age, so rememba that I am vertically challeged and because  I live closer to the equater, I'm heavier den' most ---- get mo' gravity here. Also if we get one chance fo' hunt, I hunt slow. Most think that I'm trying to be sneaky but I only get one speed----4 low.

Check you out lattas'

Mark

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Mark, How about on the garden island?  Any hunting? I'll be there in July also 19th-30th
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
last I knew you had to start the process of hunting in Hawaii 6 months in advance of going. the process may have changed, or ranches may be different, but it used to be a little paper work to go. good luck

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Just bought tickets to Maui yesterday as Alaska Airlines is having a sale.  Will likely island hop to Kona? and Kauai but still contemplating.

Jerry, check out my Kauai thread for a place to go on Kauai', can be done in July as can Waimea Canyon (forgot the area) and have done so in the past during July.

Mark, You know bruddah Rick?

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Hey Guys; My experience on the big island is that you need a hunter saftey card (from where you are or HI), go to Fish and Game office when you get there ( with proof of hunter safety) and buy a licence, read the regs and go hunting. If you get to meet up with my bradahs Mark and da gang you won't be sorry, they great guys! Bring us some pictures!   :archer:

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Oh, yea , you can find all the regs and seasons online.  :readit:

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Howzit Gang,

Hey Jerry, sorry brahdah but I no can help you with Kauai. Never had the pleasure of hunting the Napali coast. From what I saw from the air, you'd better be in great shape to handle the haul to and from the valley. I get tired just thinking about it. Plus da mind might say yes, but da body says no. Gotta trust da body. I only get so much Ben Gay to put on.

Brahdah Steve, when you coming to Hawaii? They have a great goat hunt coming up in Sept. Puuwawa has some beautiful billies that can be taken with Trad. Plan to hold out for a big one dis year. Nineteen inchers were like rubbish the other year. There were a few in the twenty four plus inch range my friends shot with training wheels. Long story short, I ended up with a twenty two incher. Up in Pohakuloa training area, a nineteen incher is considered a trophy.

Brahdah Tom, good to see you on da forum. Remeba, you only got to take one muflon sheep, feral sheep, one goat, and one rio grand turkey to complete da hawaiian grand slam. Only four more trips back to da island-----minimum that is. Don't expect you next year as you better take came of mama an take her Mexico. Da gang says hi and look forward to our next adventure next, next year. BTW, uncle Richard should be released and on probation  by the time of your next trip------nah, only joking.

Aloha,

Mark

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
BI Mark:

I will be on one or more islands in mid to late October.  I usually go to Kona or Kauai.  Will be my seventh trip to the islands!  I've shot goats, feral sheep, and finally got a pig so many species to go!

Do you hang with the Hualalai?  I had to get my T-shirt out to know how to spell it, still can't say it, lol!

You know the Beaudets' and Bigfoot Bob?

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©