3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: takedown arrows?  (Read 777 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
takedown arrows?
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
just wondering if the center of the shaft is the best place for the joint verses say 1/3 from the front end say? made some with joint in the center and they fly great but wondered if anyone has tried other locations?

thanks

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: takedown arrows?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
What does that do to the spine?  What do you need a take down arrow for?  What type of shafts?
I saw one once in a survial kit.

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I think there are a couple of articles in TBM about these arrows. You might try to look at thier site to find out which issues the articles are in.
Lucas

Badger- the article I remember was about hunting Mountain Lion the author said that the smaller broken down arrows were easer to travel with.
Lucas Kent

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
44charlie,what kind of harware are you using to connect them? Got any pictures?

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
i've used wooden dowels and plastic tubing. if you like some pic's i'd be happy to send some if you give me your email.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Well I'll toss out a bit of hackneyed theory...would one want the connections at the two node points? Just a thought.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Rangerone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
Easton made this for a time during the Rambo craze. I have one here... Imagine a tent pole with shock cord holding the two tubes together over a aluminum junction.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
I've made and still use takedown arrows.  I take a 2213 aluminum shaft, cut it in the middle and splice the two ends together with a 3" 2018 shaft.  I also make some t/d arrows using a 2117 shaft splicing the ends together with a 3" piece of carbon shaft.  These arrows fly like darts out of my bow.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
I'm sill wondering  :)

"What do you need a take down arrow for?"
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I have made a few, with 2216 shafts and a 2018 insert. I always put the joint in the center of the shaft, because it just seems logical.

That gives you the shortest bundle when it's taken apart, too, which is the point, after all.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
I have one here that is all carbon. It is in the experimental stage I was told. The shaft is barrel tapered and just fits into itself. It is a heavy shaft (550 grains with 125 grain field point). It flys pretty good out of my longbow and my Bear TD. It is made for hunting. I hit a solid object with it (rock) while the shaft did not break I can no longer take it apart.
I was told because of so many carbon shaft choices on the market already the maker may pass on selling these shafts. To bad a one piece shaft as heavy as these are would have a place in the Trad market. IMHO

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
Coaster500,
You asked "What do you need a take down arrow for?"
Here's when I use them:
(1) I hunt wood lots in subdivisions.  There are a lot of people that do not approve of hunting, any kind of hunting.  So when I hunt those wood lots I like to travel from my vehicle to the woods not appearing to be going hunting.  I can fit my t/d recurve and 3 t/d arrows in one of my kids old school backpacks along with camo clothing needed and other necessities. As far as the people know, I'm just out for a stroll.
(2) Sometimes I hunt using my bicycle.  I need to pack as compact as I can, especially if I'm going on an overnight trip.  Having t/d arrows really help.
Good luck,
Murray

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I would buy some takedown arrows if they were available.  My arrow is longer than the limb or riser of my takedown bow.  Takedown arrows would fit better in a suitcase for travelling on airplanes, or in a backpack for taking the occasional rabbit or squirrel to supplement the pot on a backpacking trip when you'd just as soon not advertise the presence of a bow and arrows.  It would be nice if they could be reused, but I would probably still buy some even if they jammed after one shot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
McDave,
You stated "...but I would probably still buy some even if they jammed after one shot."

The arrows I made do not jam after one shot. I shoot them pretty regular at targets and have never had any of them jam together.  What I have had happen is the front end of the arrow exit the deer while the back end stayed in the body cavity.  
  Murray

Offline granpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
You can give Bob Burton at Whispering Wind Arrows a call, I know he can make them.

A

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I think Don Thomas uses them for lion hunting. A while back he was busting his hunting buddy Rosie by with a pic in one of his lion hunting articles in TBM of him trying to put two point ends of an arrow together with a caption saying "Rosie struggles with the intricacies of the takedown arrow"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
I have thought about takedown arrows for a long time.The other day I played around with an idea using aluminum insets and it seems to work pretty well.This is a screw together joint that shouldn't come apart with pass throughs.

To keep all broadheds aligned the same,you might have to number the shaft sections.

I just ordered an arrow saw so in a few days,I will try to get one made and some pictures of the process.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Here is a picture of the joint.If you have a small drill press,it takes a few minutes to make one and the cost is $1.15 per arrow (2016).

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I was playing around and made a few of these, I might use them for backpacking.

I went to the range and shot these out to 40-45yds and I was vary surprised how well the flew, made my Bow dead quite

765 grains 29" with EFOC 27%     :scared:  
It has a 1716 over a .230 carbon with a 2018 footing over the 1716.

I did use spare parts to make these, if you have broken arrows there great for the back end and I used about 3-4 pieces covered in Gorilla glue shoved in the front.

The back end slides in about 3-4" nice and tight, this is my first try, I will try some others later.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Here's what mine looks like.  I used a 2213 shaft with 3" 2018 shaft to splice it together, with one end glued in.  It's hard to see the 2018 splice cause it's the same camo.  I can put both of those arrows with broadheads into that black piece of tubing for easy carrying.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©