3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tracking dogs  (Read 937 times)

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
tracking dogs
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
do you guys have any blood trailing dogs?what kind do you have?what kinds make good trailing dogs

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tracking dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
I`m all ears, this has been on my mind as well
Bull

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
check out  www.born-to-track.com  and  www.unitedbloodtrackers.org
I have a 4 year old wirehaired dachshund that has added a whole new element to my outdoors experience.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
I had a black lab when I lived in Alabama. Illegal in the state of Washington.....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
My jack russel runs a trail, when she was a pup i ran hotdog trails for her.  Ever since then she uses her nose for anything u point at on the ground.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
I have a 3 year old wire haired Dachshund out of the Jeanneney line.  Her full brother is their number one tracker right now.  Poor Tilly never got her wirehair so she is called a Smire.  But her coat is very dense wire just missing the whiskers...even better as she doesn't pick up any burrs.

I was supposed to breed her back with one of the Jeanneney stud dogs last fall but she fooled me by not coming into heat.  The Jeanneneys wanted to breed her even without her wires cause of her line...hopefully this spring.

She's already had a number of deer finds.  I just need to arrow more deer as she's giving Me the  :p  right now...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Blue lacy's make great trailing dogs, i have also had several beagles that would put them to the ground. 1 that was shot in the brisket went 5 miles before bleeding out.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I have a Deutsche Drahthaar that ran a 100 yard track that was 18 hrs old at the age of 5 months with no training what so ever. It was a blood trail you could follow without bending over so that helped a lot. The deer was shot late in the evening so I did not put him on the track in the dark. We did not need the dog to make the recovery. After we hunted the next morning I put him on the track at lunch. He followed it from the first spot of blood to the gut pile with the wind at his back. People I have talked with say blood has a scent that is easy for a dog to smell. I am looking forward to putting him on a few more bloodtrails this fall. I hope I don't need him but it is a nice piece of mind knowing he is there to help.
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I use my Drahthaar ( german wirehaired pointer) for tracking wounded bears - (you need a hound hunters permit in Idaho to do that).
 I have sold pups to hound hunters that use them for mt lions and bears; because they don't howl and attract the wolves. They use electronic collars on them to locate them.
 Of course I was raised by a Dachshund- so I will say nothing bad about them  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
We track with a Texas Blue Lacy. Interesting dogs..bred for trailing hogs.  Very good natured dogs and easy to work with.  Ours doubles as a squirrel dog.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
I have a wired hair pointer and he tracks, points, retrieves and kill ground hogs. He is also a good companion.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
I have a JR mix that is showing lots of promise. Been wanting to do this for a long time. Off the subject but I wonder why no one trains dogs to find morels? Seems like a easy thing to do, heck they train them to find sheds!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
My kids have two miniature Daschunds that were born in October.  On a whim, I drug some deer hide, antlers, etc. around the yard in December.  They trailed it like they were here for that purpose.  I am hoping on getting them on some blood trails this year.  

If the pigs cooperate this weekend, I might try them on that.

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
my Yagd Terier does a pretty good job on a blood trail.  biggest problem is I haven't been able to get him to give up the find without a fight.  little cus!   :knothead:

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Wired hair dachshund  I had two for 14 years from the deer search people in NY worked very well on trails easy to follow on a lead.  Do have a certain temperment that might surprise some people.

Bill

Offline Kevin Breaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Wirehaired Dachshunds 3 of them...

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
I had a yellow lab that recovered over 60 for me. Some one stole him and now I am working with a Jack Russell. I can't figure who is training who on this one.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
LC,

I have a Chocolate Lab/ Australian Shepherd mix that is showing some promise trailing wounded game, and is very "biddable" if she can figure out what I want... USUALLY!

This spring, we took a number of joyous romps in the woods to look for morels.  Every time I found one, I called Rosey over, and excitedly showed her that THIS was what we were after.  The few times I had a onion sack full
of 'shrooms, I'd show them to her and tried to rev her up about sniffing it.

Each time, she sweetly and dutifully sniffed a time or two, looked at me as if to say, "Yeah, so WHAT!?!,"  :rolleyes:   and head back to looking for something... ANYTHING... with fur!

Our experiment hasn't been ALL that successful so far!   :banghead:  

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I was thinking of using my wife’s yorkie but she said no LOL......stabow

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I've heard great things about the wirehaired daschunds.   I've got a GWP that is very good, she has trailed lots of hogs & deer and will bay up wounded critters.   Its also quite a spectacle to watch her kill armadillos, coons, and possums.  Last year she even killed an otter that she caught in the woods.   My neighbor might be missing a few cats too, I'm not sure. . .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©