3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adding weight with aquarium tubing?  (Read 404 times)

Offline blc2

• Trad Bowhunter
Adding weight with aquarium tubing?
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
I like the extra arrow weight and this seems to be the best solution for me... however can anyone give me a weight on the airline tubing in gpi. Just curious and I don't have a scale, I know there will be difference between brands/quality of tubing but a ballpark idea on standard airline tubing would be great.Thanks

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adding weight with aquarium tubing?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
If memory serves me, the 3/16th" o.d. 1/8th" i.d. aquarium tubing I used in some Beman MFX's weighed 5.2 grains per inch and I am pretty sure I remember correctly. Hope this helps

Offline blc2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Thanks

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
I tried that last summer and the tubing was cut to fit the leangth of the shaft.  Felt good but the problem was the arrow rattled as it flew.  Anyone have a fix for that?
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 02:06:00 AM »
I tried that and I don't like the jackhammer effect it creates. If it blows out nocks then there must be some sort of force working against penetration. The added penetration the extra weight provides is most likely offset by the reverse force that pushes against the nock upon impact. You can serve the tube with dental floss to keep it snug but I think it's more hassle than it's worth.
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »
I found the same it was a pain. I found that the 1/8 inch poll rope from the dollar store seems to work as good and or better. I leave the rope about 1/8 inch long on the length and then it does not move at all...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »
sorry had fat fingers in typing it is plastic poly rope in the 1/8 inch size, I got 50 ft for a buck at the dollar sotre. I have been in use by me now for over 3 years...does help to get the weight  up for the carbon bemen shaft in 500 spine...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:09:00 AM »
not a fan of loading the tube for all of the reasons mentioned above.  for carbon shafts, the better route for me was adding more point weight.  in fact, ridiculous amounts of weight that upped the foc a huge amount.  i found that the added front weight (100 to 200 grains) had no ill effects on arrow flight (no spine issues) with carbons.  penetration and arrow flight actually noticeably improved.  this is with beman 500 shafts, a 55# longbow with 29" arrows, and 300 grains up front for 29% foc and a 585 grain arrow.  however, i did notice spine issues (weak) with alums. upping the front end weight might work for ya, won't know 'till ya try!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline blc2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
I didn't mean to start a debate I was really just curious of the weight...but it seems to be working for me... it really quites down the arrow(doesn't sound hollow) when not in flight and have had no problem with it shifting or rattling while in flight. As for accuracy who knows... I am a newbie:)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by blc2:
I didn't mean to start a debate  ...
what debate?  just different opinions and it's all good stuff - you just need to find what works best for you, and that may just take some time and real world experience.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©