3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stringing a longbow  (Read 765 times)

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Stringing a longbow
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Good day fellow Tradgangers!

So, I'm getting my first longbow later today, and I was wondering... do you guys use bow stringers or do you just use the step-through method?
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stringing a longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I use the 'push-pull'...and I do it in a way that the bow can't come back and bit me....in other words, I keep my head out of the way.

I meant to to a clip on that a while back...but time gets away from me.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
I use the push pull as well for my longbows.  But when in doubt use a stringer!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Welcome to the longbow brotherhood! I don't know any better and I always use a stringer. I have a longbow specific stringer and it works great.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
I use a push-pull for my current bow too. Maybe I'll try a few different methods, and see what works best. Thanks for sharing experiences!
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Push Pull works great for longbows; I have used it for years without any problems. But, as stated above, if you have any doubts, use a stringer.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
Usually push-pull but long-limbed, heavy draw weight bows are much easier with a stringer.

"Longbows" seem to be getting shorter and shorter so push pull is more common.

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
I'm no bowyer but is it not the case that with anything other than a stringer you are putting uneven load on the limbs and doing potential damage.

I'm not saying that it was the reason but about 4 people I know use the same bows, 3 of us use a stringer and the 3rd doesn't, he is the only one to have had a limb failure.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
I push-pull, but as hunter saftey Instructor I should'nt and neither should you. As my father used to say Do as I say ,not as I do!!...lol. It is always easy to take short cuts,but not always the right thing to do.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
push/pull

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
I'd rather be safe than sorry. I use a stringer for all my bows, both long bows and recurves. Been doing so since 1969. Can't believe its been 40 years and never had a problem.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
I'd say a stringer is the best, and safest way to go.
Next i'd say the push pull, which is fine if ya know what you're doin'.
As far as "stepping through", DON'T....

Offline RastaRyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I use push/pull method too.  I had some unfortunate incidents with a bow stringer that made me swear to never use them again.  On two different ocassions I've had a stringer come apart and caught my 75# longbow limb right square in the kisser in front of all of the compound toting members of the Penn State collegiate archery team.  It took a while but I can string my 80# 68" Hill bow with ease using the push/pull method.  I can also string heavy recurves the same way.  Ted Ekins at Howard Hill archery personally recomended that method to me and showed me how.
I'm gonna be Iron,
Like a Lion,
In Zion!

Offline seabound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Did the stringer break on you or just come untied? Any stringer made from 550 paracord should never break.

I used to use the stringer exclusively out of fear of limb damage, but I've recently gotten over that and often use the push/pull method now.
The only physical manifestation of Zen is archery

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
I use the push/pull also. But be careful. People have lost an eye from doing this. Also make sure the string is in the groove on the top and bottom before shooting using either method.

Offline elkslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
No matter what you choose dont do the step through method, unless you want to twist or break a limb. That has to be the worst way to string a bow. I void all warranties on my bows if they string it that way.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Actually, Lukas Novotny says that the step-through method is - in many cases - the safest way to go. I mean, the Asian horse archers (huns, mongols...) had no other choice, when on the horse. And they did quite fine.

Anyways - I recieved the bow! And I tried the step-through method, but I was unable to string it. The bow is simply too strong. So I just used the push-pull method.

A bow-stringer followed, but I'm not sure if its firm enough to string a 70# bow...

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Hey guys i just started shooting trad bows what is the push pull method,thanks.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
stringer for all my longbows

Bob
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
I agree with what has been said on this post. I split a limb on a recurve using the step through method. I use a stringer for recurves and push pull for long. Joevan125 the way I do it is lower limb on the ground, floor, solid surface padded, foot against the limb so it don't slip, left hand on the handle, right hand push the string up pulling on the riser and pushing on the upper limb until string is in the groove.It is a good way to get hit in the face and there is a thread on this site where a fellow ganger almost lost an eye.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©