3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Opinions on the Hoyt Excel ILF Recurve Riser??  (Read 297 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Any Opinions on the Hoyt Excel ILF Recurve Riser??
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Hey all,

I have a ProLine WARF that I have been shooting for a couple of years and I am thinking about switching to something else.

Hoyt came out with an ILF model called the EXCEL that is 21 inches long.  It looks like a really nice riser and it comes in black.  Better yet, it is priced at about $150 or so.

I'd like to hear about any opinions or range reports from anyone that has had a chance to shoot this riser or owns it.

Some of the others I have been looking at are the TradTech Titan, TradTech Pinnacle 2, the Hoyt Dorado or Gamemaster 2.  I would love to have a TITAN, but they are just about out of my price range.  The Hoyt Risers are nice, no doubt, but they are more expensive than the Hoyt Excel and I would have to buy a conversion kit for my ILF limbs because these risers don't use ILF limbs.

So what do you think?

Thanks for the help.

BD

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Opinions on the Hoyt Excel ILF Recurve Riser??
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
I don't know if you had tried doing a search here on TG or the other site but there has been a couple topics about the bow.   I can't remember, but I believe Str8shtr(?) may have one and was planning on hunting with one.  If I recall correctly he really liked his.   Good luck.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Opinions on the Hoyt Excel ILF Recurve Riser??
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
I have a 23" black Excel. Personally, I love it. It is a little lighter than other ILF risers I've handled in the same length. But what is light for me may be perfect for you. I added a small counterweight for weight and balance but a bow quiver would accomplish the same. You can shoot off the shelf if you want, though, it is cut far past center. I'm shooting a CenterRest Flipper and because it's cut past center I can shoot Blazer vanes with zero clearance issues.

I've owned the Titan, DAS Master, several Gamemasters, and TAC Black Sheep. You mention the Titan and GM/ Dorado. Those are excellent options as well. The Dorado is similar in mass weight, Titan and GM are both a little heavier. The finish on those is also a flatter black. All have standard AMO sight, stab, rest bushings. Like you said, the GM and Dorado aren't ILF risers. That's fine for a hunting bow but I feel the adjustablity is an excellent tool for really fine tuning.

The good thing about trying the Excel is if you don't like it you won't be out much. But, I bet you'll like it. I know I'll be hunting with my Excel with 61# Extreme limbs this fall. Mine is fast, quiet, and smooth and I have honestly never shot a more accurate setup (for me).

Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©