3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Teacher to Student  (Read 458 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Teacher to Student
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
31 years ago I stood over the crib of my new born son and said, "Wow, just 12 more years and we'll be hunting together."  I carried him up and down the mountains of Montana and then moved back to PA where he helped me hang treestands and went through the woods learning about the animals and their habits with me.  It took him awhile to connect on a deer but when it all came together at the age of 20 he was using his 75# Hill Longbow and hasn't looked back since taking one to two deer per year since.  I now find myself watching him and listening to him as he talks about his hunting and equipment and I find that I learn as much about the sport from him as I ever taught him.

He's a better woodsman than me.  He's an all around better outdoorsman than me.  He knows more about trees and fauna than I do and I can see my old passion in him when he's hunting or talking about it.

When I set back and think about this...it's a good thing and I like it.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Teacher to Student
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
That is absolutely great story. I hope to be in your shoes with my two sons in the future. keep spreading the passion.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
I don't have kids of my own yet, but when I look at my brother's sons Alex and Charlie, I have the same feelings.  Hope to have the same experience as you have found.
Blaze out your own trail.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
as we say in south georgia, it sounds like "you done good"..i know you are proud.  Thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Bill Shepard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
The ultimate measure of an instructor is to have their students become better than they are.

It sounds like you did your job well.   :archer:
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
Great post; as a father I can relate 100%.

Originally posted by Bill Shepard:
The ultimate measure of an instructor is to have their students become better than they are.
Bill beat me to it. I heard this a lot around the mentors I grew up around. Couldn't agree more. I am enjoying seeing my two boys mature in their own rights, even at 10 and 14. Looking forward to the day when they show their old Pop a thing or two.

Well done.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Teach your children in the way they should go and when the get old they will not depart from it. Think you did that pretty good. Nothing better than looking back over a lifetime and having no regrets.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
I think thats called full circle or something..    :thumbsup:  Take care of ur kids so one day they can take care of you
Bull

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I have a funny story about my son and me hunting deer the first day of rifle. I was sitting next to a tree when my son happened along and I said to him, boy this would be a great tree for a stand. He said that is the tree I killed my doe out of. Later I moved into the swamp and was sitting by another tree and he shows up again. I pointed out the trails and what a great tree for next year, he said this is the tree I weas in when I missed the buck the first day of archery. What are the odds that in a 100 acre woods we would pick the same two trees for tree stands. I guess he had a good teacher.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »
Sounds like you taught him well,I only hope my children improve from the lessons they learned from me.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Longbowman, I know exactly where your coming from. Ain't life great.

Offline OneArmArrowSlinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Great post, makes me think of the time in the coming years that I will spend with my son.  At 2 1/2 yrs old he already squirrel hunts with me, knows several different birds by their call & loves to practice with his little bow.  Such an awesome feeling to know how much enjoyment he will have in his lifetime thanks to the past generations of men in my family that have kept this tradition alive.  I mean you should have seem the look on my dad's face when my son said to him, pa pa I like hunting with you.  Now to me, thats what its all about!
It's better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Yeah, with my son,21, it's angling. If there's a fish there, he's gonna get it. I once got myself in a jam wading in a swift current, he came right out and got me, and he was only 16 at the time! Of course those size 15's make for great stabilization.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
you did well, I did the same with my daughter, she has killed more deer at 11 than a lot of men ever will. She took her first with a rifle at 5 and then started on hogs with the bow at 8 and took a deer with the bow at 9, at 11 she has 31 deer and 9 hog kills with gun and bow, though she only bow hunts now.we are on mld and have the oppurtunity to kill tons of does a year.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©