3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP-FINDING THE RIGHT ARROW  (Read 315 times)

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
PLEASE HELP-FINDING THE RIGHT ARROW
« on: May 20, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Here's my issue...
I shoot a fred bear kodiak mag 52" bow 55 @ 28 I have been trying to bare shaft tune an arrow for my bow for 6 months I'm to the point of frustration how can I find an arrow? What may I be doing wrong...other 411 I shoot three under and at a kilter...after some feedback I will explain exactly wat I have done with the arrows

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PLEASE HELP-FINDING THE RIGHT ARROW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
The arrow gurus will need to know your draw length too. Might also help to say what the arrows are doing....fishtailing, porpusing, spiraling....hitting left, right, up down.....are they impacting straight?
What have you tried?

I know it is tough to bare shaft(for me anyways) and I usually end up going with what is suggested here. Fletch em up and Im usually good to go...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
411-
Fred bear kodiak mag 55 @ 28
My draw 29
I have tried both 3 and 4 feathered arrows with 4" and 5" feathers

I have tried every arrow imaginable (brand)

Right now I am using the Traditional Only from 3 Rivers 340 @ 32.5" , 400 @ 32" , 500 @ 31.5" with every tip weight imaginable

I thought I had an arrow tuned entered info into Dynanic spine cal and then tried matchibg with other arrows and configurations with those arrows I can get them close (I say close meaning consistantly flying true) then I put feathers on and it seems like a switch is flipped and they fly weird some porpus some fish tail some fly at an angle (340 spined arrow knock R indicating too stiff)

I haven't tampered w/ my brace height its hust under 7.4" I'm sure this may have something if not everythibg to do with it

I'm tired of thinking I have an arrow fletch it and then have to strip it

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm  
try this for tuning
 I would think the 500's @29-1/2 or the 400's left long with lots of tip weight on either one should be close (250 gr) . I would raise the brace to around 8" and check the nock fit if its too tight it will give you fits .(ymmv) Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
That's a pretty low brace for a K-mag, 8" to 8.5" is more typical for that bow.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
A 52-inch bow is going to be quite sensitive to any shooting flaws when drawn to 29 inches.  Three under accentuates the disportionate stress on the short limbs.  It's quite possible your troubles aren't with the arrows, but with your form, i.e., less than a clean release.  Good luck.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
dresbow,slowbowmo,and orion are all putting you in the right direction.i agre that the brace needs to be highter than what you are shooting,ie,8 1/2 9".you need to build up the arrow rest on that bow under the pivot point,and use 3 fletch,as that will cut down on feather contact on rest and strike-plate.also un-bushing and tunable nocks will allow you to turn the arrow to get minimal fletching contact.plus string nock placement is critical to minimise kick.that one "should" take a higher than normal placement,ie,3/4,7/8ths"jmtcw.robert.ps,good luck  :thumbsup:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone I finally am close I can feel it! Raised my brace height to 8.5 knock at 1/2" and am shocked at arrow flight there's no wigglin or waglin =) thanks again
=D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©