3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional broadheads with replacement blades  (Read 410 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional broadheads with replacement blades
« on: May 20, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
I use to shoot expandable broadheads and thunderheads with my wheel bow and now that i sold that thing im trying to figure out what to shoot. I like the woodsman and the snuffer but im unsure about having to sharpen them. Are they hard to sharpen or should i stay with the thunderheads. I killed a lot of deer with them and i know that they are a super tuff head. Thanks guys for all information that you have given me on my other posts.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional broadheads with replacement blades
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Thunderheads are great heads and will serve you well if you have enough poundage to push them through.  On the more trad side is the sharpen yourself heads that penetrate better then the replacement blade style.  Learn to sharpen and you'll never pay for replacement blades again.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Magnus Stinger has replacement blades.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
What Wingnut said!....But if you must check out Magnus Stingers,2 blades, replaceable, Muzzy Phantoms are good also.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Thunderheads are great heads. If you are wanting to stay with a head that uses replaceable blades, it is an excellent choice. Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple more that I would place in the same category with many heads of game to their credit using trad gear: any of the Muzzy products, Magnus Stingers, and Razorcaps (if you can take the high $$).

That said, get a pack of woodsmands, get a good file and a stone, watch Charlie Lamb's tutorial on sharpening them (in the how-to forum), and get to peeling steel. Bet you'll figure it out and never look back to replaceable blade heads. No shame in using them, but it adds another level of satisfaction when you take game with a head you've sharpened yourself.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Looks like I was slow on the draw....what Mike said    :D

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I think thats what i will do JC i really want to shoot a head that i have to sharpen.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Woodsman's and Snuffers are among the easiest heads to sharpen and there are how-tos in that forum.  If you are still concerned, Razorcaps, or Muzzy Phantoms would be a good choice.  Your Thunderheads will work, too, altho you will lose the valuable advantage of the cutting point.

IMO, "traditional" broadheads don't have replaceable blades.  Sharpening a broadhead is just another basic woodsmanship skill to be learned.  It is easy to learn and that same skill transfers over to your knife, chisel, axe, drawknife, etc.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Looks like we all jumped on this about the same time.  Sure can tell who the slow typist is.    :biglaugh:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
That would be me Flecher
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
When it comes to sharpening, practice makes perfect. The Woodsman head is easy to sharpen using Charlie Lambs tutorial. Contact Ron (Sharpster) regarding his KME broadhead sharpener
if your looking for additional ideas.  :banghead:

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Woodsmans!!! seriously they are great - not hard to sharpen at all (thanks to Charlie Lamb!) and they will lay em open!

I use them and grizzly 160s, finally got the knack of the grizzlies but still may get some from sharpster.

Replacment blade heads>>??? stingers I guess but still have not found a head like that that is truly sharp enough to hunt.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Until you get the sharpening thing down,stick with the thunderheads. My partner gets pass throughs with low 40s poundage bows and thunderhead blades are allways sharp right out of the box.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
I shoot muzzy 100 3-balades in everything with a string that I shoot.  They have always served me very well for penetration and are hard on bone.  I have never had a failure and only one bent point from a stone hit after a pass through.  They are also very forgiving and shoot with the filed tips very reliably.  I have never has an issue with the size of the hole they make and get great blood trails.  I do plan to try woodsmans soon.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Your Thunderheads will not let you down.A woodsman would be great but only if you learn to sharpen them first.You could also go with a two blade that is easy to sharpen like a magnus or stos head.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Here's the link for the sharpening video....
   Woodsman sharpening
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Charlie, I can't find the tutorial - it says it doesn't exist! I did a search in the how-to section and it didn't find it either. Is it still active? If anyone can help please post.

Thanks...Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
Ken, the portion of the file server that holds the Tradgang uploaded materials is experiencing some difficulty. I'm sure it will be corrected soon.

Come up to my shoot next weekend and I'll give you a hands on tutorial. I'm not as good at it as Charlie but I did learn it directly from the master.    :readit:  I hated 3 blades before Charlie showed me how because I just couldn't get them sharp. A few minutes with him to see the nuances/tricks and it all fell into place.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©