3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dymondwood or Phenolic (help bowyers)  (Read 293 times)

Offline Drumstick63

• Trad Bowhunter
Dymondwood or Phenolic (help bowyers)
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I am having a takedown recurve built and am considering either Dymondwood or Linen Phenolic (Micarta LE)for the riser.  Either way, it will be a solid block with no accent stripe and will be either 20" or 22" long depending on whether I go with a 62" or 64" bow.  I have done some research and some say that the Micarta will flex too much while others say that the Dymondwood might be too brittle.  Also, some say that neither should be built without an accent stripe of some kind but that isn't an option.

I know Bob Morrison (and possibly others) has used both materials with accent stripes and am hoping that he and others will express their experiences.

Which of the two would make the better riser?  

Thanks!

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dymondwood or Phenolic (help bowyers)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
I've never heard of a phenolic riser having problems with cracking.  I've personally experienced such problems with Dymondwood risers and have read of others experiencing the same problems.  I'm not a bowyer, but I've owned a few bows and will no longer buy a Dymondwood riser, if I can help it.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Since both have been used for a long time for risers, I don't think functionality is a question.  I imagine micarta will give you a heavier riser, if that's of interest to you.

Pick the one you like the looks of more.  They are both great materials.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Drumstick63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

Anybody else have any experience, especially with linen-based phenolic?

Thanks

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
The linen phenolic is tough. I want some laminations with other materials when using Dymondwood because it can have problems as others have said. I have two Morrison phenolic risers and they are tough. Phenolic risers are used in Shrew bows where a Bow Bolt is inserted to make a two piece bow. I personally like the stuff.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Here's the phenolic riser I had made for me by Groves. I have found phenolic to be very similar to metal risers given the heft of them and the the increased strength by using the black and white fiberglass lams for the accent stripes. Given the options you have laid out I would personally go with the phenolic but would not use a solid block. Adding the accents would make the riser bomb proof.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©