3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you cope?  (Read 421 times)

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you cope?
« on: May 23, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
I was sitting on my deck this morning, thinking about the way I am perceived as a hunter.  I find that many times, I get lumped into the "hunter" category.  We all know its a very general category that over the years has been degraded enough to make people not want to be in that category and find a way to stand out.  Many of the land owners I deal with on a year to year basis, dont hunt.  They dont know the difference between a compound and a recurve, and if they dont know the difference between the bow they certainly dont know the difference between the people carrying them.  I like to think I'm different than most of the "hunters" that many landowners have to deal with.  But how do you portray that when asking for permission to hunt their land?  Without a while spent showing them you are a good person, and that your equipment does make you different, how do you set yourself apart from the degenerate general category of "hunter".  We are traditional bowhunters, very different from the category we often get lumped into, but without having a few months to show landowners who we are, how do we get access, without the stigma of being a general hunter?  Once I get permission to hunt a piece of land I am always certain to thank the landowners repeatedly and to send holiday greetings, and gift cards to show my appreciation, but when I get turned down or told NO I take it personally, often times its because "after two years ago we dont allow hunting anymore."  Or we dont want hunters in our woods, its not safe.  I wish I could have the chance to show them we are different than just "hunters".  So I guess after my long rant my question is this.
How do you avoid the stigma that goes with the general category of blood thirsty, care more about the kill than the actual hunt type of "hunter" we often times get associated with by the public.  I question whether I am doing enough to set myself apart, to make me better, make me different than the rest.  Not a better hunter, I dont care about that, I just want a better image than society gives us in general.  Maybe its one of those things people refer to as "lifes mysteries".  And so Ill sit on my deck and keep thinking of new ways to be different.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you cope?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
I hunted not for the aminals but to just get away from the everyday life style and rut we all fall into. When I was working I took my off days and vacation time to get away from stress and pressure of work and just kicked back and enjoyed myself for a couple of weeks. If I was lucky enough to harvest an aminal so be it, if not I still hard the memories of a great hunt.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
I'll tell you what will go a long way to help get access and to set yourself apart from the pack. One thing I like to do is to get permission well in advance of the season and wearing presentable clothing when I approach a landowner, I don't were my hunting clothes when I do this and I like to beat the crowds. I also explain my weapon of choice  and it never hurts to bring that person a small gift at the end of the season like a Ham or such, also once I get permission I ask every year so that person remembers me and to show them respect. Sometimes you will start hunting just woodchucks and it can expand to big game after the landowner can see your just not another run of the mill hunter.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
It's not about the equiptment in front of the man, but rather the man behind the equiptment.

I personally don't think the equiptment has anything to do with what kind of person you are.

With all due respect.....

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
I've got to agree with Todd.
I'm the same person whether I'm carrying my longbow or one of my rifles.
I've met stand-up men who hunt with firearms and I've met jerks who use recurves.

It's the individual who will make the difference, not the gear they use.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Another in agreement with Todd.  The equipment in your hand doesn't make you any better.  It is the person you are.  Instead of expecting special treatment because of your equipment choice, how about setting yourself apart by showing up in the spring and summer and help bale some hay, or muck out the barn, plant some trees, mend some fence, bring the landowner a mess of fresh crappie fillets, or something like that.  Get to know them and give something back.  Then they will know what kind of man you are regardless of the type bow in your hand.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lefty:
Another in agreement with Todd.  The equipment in your hand doesn't make you any better.  It is the person you are.  Instead of expecting special treatment because of your equipment choice, how about setting yourself apart by showing up in the spring and summer and help bale some hay, or muck out the barn, plant some trees, mend some fence, bring the landowner a mess of fresh crappie fillets, or something like that.  Get to know them and give something back.  Then they will know what kind of man you are regardless of the type bow in your hand.
Amen!!!

Those actions would for sure set you apart.

It all boils down to one word, RESPECT!

Those that know about it will know you have it. Those that don't know about it will still know you have it.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©