3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is this too light of an arrow for my bow?  (Read 759 times)

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
is this too light of an arrow for my bow?
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
I'm shooting 29" 2215s
125g points, I dont the rest of the weight of all the other stuff, but overall im guessing around 500g?
I'm shooting it out of my 55lb@28" kanati, and My draw is about 28 1/2"
the arrows fly like lazer beams, but I would rather be safe than sorry, does this sound ok?

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: is this too light of an arrow for my bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
What does your bowyer say?  You are only slightly less than 9 grains per lb of draw weight at your draw length if your guess is accurate.  It is really easy to weigh the completed arrow (even for someone as techno challenged as me)...or you can get a pretty close guess from the grains per inch on whatever arrow you use plus the weight of your field tip + insert. Feathers plus knock adds a few more grains.  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
You are fine at 8.9 grains per pound of draw (56 lb bow with 500 grain arrow). I like to be between 9 and 10 grains per pound.  To achieve 9.0 gpp you would need only add 5 grains.  Thats Peanuts...if you are tuned very well I wouldnt change a thing...unless you have time to mess with stuff...then by all means...tweak away. IMO you are in the sweet spot for trejectory and penetration combined. Have fun!!

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Sounds good to me. If they fly great, I'd stay with it. Are you shooting this set up for both hunting and 3D?
bryce olson

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
mostly hunting, they shoot very flat and right where I look, I wouldnt hesitate using them for 3-D....if there were any around here lol

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
2215's weigh 10.7 grs per inch.which at 29"= 310 grains,plus 125 point =435 grains,fletch,insert and nock =about 40 grains =total weight of around 475/480 grains.hope this helps.regards,robert  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
yea thats pretty light for sure

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
you should still be good even with 470-480 grain arrows....i have used 315gr. arrows out of a 44# bow with great results. they zip right thru:)

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
You're fine.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
I figure your shooting about 56.5# @ 28.5".  I think 475 grains is too light for your set up.  You are well under 9 grains per pound.  Try some 175 or 200 grain field tips to see how they fly for you.  Then when you switch to broadheads you can shoot a heavier BH like a 160 grain head with a 40 grain adapter.  A 200 grain broadhead set up is much stronger then a 125 grain set up.  This set up should be quieter, penetrate better, and not void your bowyer's warrenty.  
Chad

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Chad i did what you said and combined a 100g point with a 125g adapter....so I'm shooting at 580 or so grains.....all I can say is wow, I can't notice any difference between this set up and the last when shooting at 17-20 yards.only that the bow is a tiiiiney bit quieter, I really like how versatile these 2215's are! lol

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
I think your where you should be now,if your happy with the arrow flight stay with it.Larry.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
for hunting,shooting a light arrow fast,or a heavy arrow slow has the same effect on the animals we hunt.a 430 grain arrow traveling 180 feet per second,has about the same kinetic energy as a 550 grain arrow traveling 160 feet per second.these calculations are not exact,they are just to give a close correlation  :thumbsup:    :campfire:  robert
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
christian,and everyone else,i miscalculated the weight of your arrow.that insert weights 30 grains,unibushing,9 grns.nock,13 grns.i thought the insert was about 20,and forgot the bushing,so your arrow is hitting the scale right at 500 grns.sorry for the mis calculations.i promise to be more careful next time.robert  :thumbsup:    :coffee:

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
thats a relief...woa...so that means that I was pretty much smoking a 600g arrow, I never shot an arrow past 580g before, oh man I wish I had a chrono!

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  I'm not much for mathematical calculations, figures and stuff.  I do know that I'd rather be hit in the chest with a ping pong ball traveling 300 fps rather then a golf ball traveling 100 fps.  How about you?  

Have you ever grabbed a baseball bat by the fat/heavy end and gave it a swing?  You can swing it much faster then when you swing while holding on to the small end.  If weight wasn't a bigger factor then speed in kenetic energy why don't they weight the handles of baseball bats and make the fat end as light as possible?

That being said, I hunt with bows that are around 49# at 26.5".  I know that an arrow that weighs in at 540 grains works well for me.  Christian is shooting a lot more poundage with a longer power stroke, he will have good luck on deer with pretty much what ever arrow he wants to shoot.  Chad

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Holm-Made:
 :bigsmyl:   I'm not much for mathematical calculations, figures and stuff.  I do know that I'd rather be hit in the chest with a ping pong ball traveling 300 fps rather then a golf ball traveling 100 fps.  How about you?  

Have you ever grabbed a baseball bat by the fat/heavy end and gave it a swing?  You can swing it much faster then when you swing while holding on to the small end.  If weight wasn't a bigger factor then speed in kenetic energy why don't they weight the handles of baseball bats and make the fat end as light as possible?

That being said, I hunt with bows that are around 49# at 26.5".  I know that an arrow that weighs in at 540 grains works well for me.  Christian is shooting a lot more poundage with a longer power stroke, he will have good luck on deer with pretty much what ever arrow he wants to shoot.  Chad
I love to hear those ping pong ball vs golf ball or baseball analogies.  Makes me chuckle.  Extreme differences in mass weights and overall construction, not a good comparison when talking about typical differences in what people call a hunting weight arrow.  You're right about one thing though, he should have good results using either arrow setup with the draw weight he's shooting.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
"I love to hear those ping pong ball vs golf ball or baseball analogies. Makes me chuckle. Extreme differences in mass weights and overall construction, not a good comparison when talking about typical differences in what people call a hunting weight arrow. You're right about one thing though, he should have good results using either arrow setup with the draw weight he's shooting."

Exactly good post in my opinion. I see alot folks getting all worked up over 20 to 40 grains of weight. It just don't make that much difference in speeds in which we shoot. Now if your going in the thousands fps or adding a thousand grains of weight yeah. But to me it's way more important the arrow is flying true with a good broadhead on the buis end.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
If your bow breaks shooting those arrows, that bow was not designed very well at all.  The older models from the 50's through 70's didn't suffer such weaknesses.  You are fine, young man, think no more of it.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Christian, most of us that have been doing this for any amount of time have strong opinions on what we like or don't like in our equiptment preferences.  I'm not going to argue about what is better or what is the minimum standard because everyone has differing opinions on that.  My advice to you, for what that's worth, is to play around with different arrow weights and find out what you like.  Develop your own opinions, so to speak.  Playing around with our equiptment is one of the most enjoyable parts of archery.  Good luck,  Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©