3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: May 2009: SOLO Alaskan Brown Bear  (Read 5446 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: May 2009: SOLO Alaskan Brown Bear
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Steve, Again the pics are fantastic! Showing where you and the bear were is excellent. Story telling has me sitting on the edge of my seat!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I'm not done reading this one yet...but just wanted to say thank God for Trad Gang!!!  Where we can come and read about folks that actually hunt and kill stuff, and folks are more interested in sharing stories with others than 'telling stories' about others, and no 8th grade male drama queens.

Hammer down Steve!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Dang if you didn't hit the nail on the head Terry!!! I love the stories. This one is right near the top. Thanks Steve & Walt, Bell
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
(Hey Terry, where did you see anythng about me killing anything in this f-6 year tale, lol?!!)

(BTW everyone, Terry said he'd give me $20 if I drew this story waaaay out and kept you guys coming back, doubly-lol)

And the Drama Queen continues......

I nervously checked my daypack and found a micro-Bic lighter at the bottom of the pack.  I made my way back to a different abandoned trapper’s cabin (west side of bay) less than a hundred yards from where the bear episode just happened.  It was pitch black now.  The cabin was partially collapsed but there was a small dry area in one back corner.  I crawled thru a window since the door side was at ground level.  The floor sloped down to a shambles of splintered and mostly wet lumber.  I rooted around and found some dry material for a fire and pulled out the Bic.  The ignition wheel was mostly ceased and wouldn’t spark.  It was going to be one long cold night.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
The tide was out at 4 am and I got up and grabbed a big chunk of foam that I found washed up on the beach and headed back to the river.  The river was still raging and I quickly realized that the foam that I hoped would get me across the deeper section of river where I could get my feet to the bottom and below the tops of my hipboots wasn’t going to work.  I tried lying on the foam in shallow water as a test and it kept rolling which would be bad news out in swift, deep water.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Good example why we need to bring backup firestarter and other "unexpected" overnight emergency supplies. Thanks for the reminder! This is a great read. Thanks for sharing this adventure with us. I'm with you on this one!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
I drug the foam back to the treeline and stood and contemplated.  What next?  I had considered walking to a guide’s camp about three miles away the night before but there was a chance they had filled their lone bear tag and had already left the area.  I didn’t want to exhaust myself and end up with no shelter so I had holed up in the cabin which was the right decision the previous night.

I decided I would try and take advantage of low tide so I walked way out into the front of the tidal flat along the leading edge where the river formed smaller rivulets as the main channel braided into a delta.  By crossing about 15 smaller channels I finally realized that I was going to make it across.  What a relief.

I got to my boat and had to wait about an hour until the tide came in and floated the craft.  Ten minutes later I was back at camp and had a cup of coffee, a visit with Aunt Jemima, and a nice warm nap.

I of course was back after the bears that afternoon.  Below is my wet gear laid out in the sun on basalt drying racks.

We now have about nine pages of precursory background which will set the stage for my May 2009, SOLO Brown Bear bowhunt.

Stay Tuned for the FINAL ADVENTURE!!!!!!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
Steve, I'll give ya $25.00 to not drag it out!  :goldtooth:   Just kiddin - lovin this one keep it coming, I'm hopin for a trophy shot!
hunt it

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Awesome hunt, fantastic pics, and incredible animals and country. What more could you ask for? Thirsty for more...
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
More more more   Great story wish i could have been there.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Great background stories Steve and Walt. I am anxiously waiting for the 2009 version!!! I am with Walt on this ... a brown bear bowhunt has always been one of my ultimate dream hunts. I really appreciate the opportunity to tag along even if it is in cyberspace!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
The nice photos really make a very good story something special, particularly when told by a master like Steve.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Ummmmm, you can tell you aren't in here much if you think this is drawn out...

THIS is updated timely and filled with lots of good information   :thumbsup:  

Bring on the good stuff!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Jeff...seems like you had a story a couple  of weeks ago, and I didn't get a chance to read it....I'm off to find it, bookmark it, so I can read it in a bit.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
This is one of the best stories I have read here.   That says a lot among so many great story tellers on this site.

Thanks doesn't seem to cut it, but thanks!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
What a great read! This is a Trad Gang classic.  Keep it coming Steve!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Back from work and we'll continue here in a bit but first things first.....Wifey has muskox burgers just coming off the grill right now....gotta go!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
It had been a long year between the 2008 spring season and the 2009 spring season.  I had traveled most of the preceding year for work and had accepted a promotion, relocated from Juneau to the Kenai Peninsula, and have been trying to get settled into our new house.  It was great to be back in brown bear country (although a brown bear could easily be walking thru my back yard as I type, lol).  It was good to get back in my old stomping grounds!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
I decided to set up my camp on the other end of Otter Island closer to where I anchor my boat for ease of access and to reduce carrying gear over rocks.  My camping spot wasn’t quite as good but it worked just fine and was worth the trade off.  Notice the otter trail going right by my tent and to the lower left hand corner of the photo.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Once again, Otter Island connects to a small islet at low tide but the two are separated at high tide.  The sand/gravel saddle in between makes a great place to anchor the boat at most tides.  Here is the saddle between Otter Island and the islet at low tide.  You can see "Ducky" in the background.  Ducky is my loving name for my little rubber duck of a boat that has provided deliverance for me on more than one occasion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©