3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: May 2009: SOLO Alaskan Brown Bear  (Read 5444 times)

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: May 2009: SOLO Alaskan Brown Bear
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
2004 $ucked.  I was getting my gear together and threw out my back lifting my motor.  I spent the next week or two crawling around the house in pain.  Uggghhhhhh...

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
2005 was better but not much from the Spring bear hunting stand point.  I had a couldn't get out of work commitment that put me in California during this time, uggggh-AGAIN!!!

I knew I wouldn't be there this year so I shared my hot spots with TradGang's own Walt Francis since his brother Bob had moved to Juneau.  Walt and brother Bob hunted the area and maybe we can get Walt to post a section on his trip?

WALT?

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
Come on Walt the boys are anxious!

(Actually it must be nice across the country and everyone is out enjoying Memorial Day weekend!)

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
I am here Steve.  We are all waiting for more!

Nathan

Offline benny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I'm here...keep it coming!!!

Benny

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
I've got the popcorn popping so keep it coming.  Thanks for taking us along on these adventures.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
Good reading, Steve! Keep at it, please!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
Great read Steve keep the story coming.

Love that area of Alaska we were in Moose Pass last summer after some fishing,we stopped there to mail post cards.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Steve.......you're nuts.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Steve,

Walt must  have something ready...about two months ago, he was going to e-mail it to me to read   :knothead:  

Great stories AND info so far.  I never wanted to hunt big bears until I hunted Blacktails on Kodiak and saw them in person.  Now they are WAY out of my price range.  Ah, the perks of a resident   ;)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
:wavey:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Good read Steve!  

I just finished a home repair while grilled backstraps invaded the air around me.  The tools are put up and the fork tender steaks have been put away as well.

Looking forward to reading more...Thanks for taking time to share!!

Charles
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Wild hog backstraps in the dutch oven(low and sloooow).
Great read keep it coming.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Good stuff Steve!   :thumbsup:   I did some work on West Chichagof while in college, it's a remote, beautiful and amazing area.  Love seeing the photos!   :campfire:

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Steve thank you for your time writing this out for us that can only dream.Kip

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
Steve,
Sorry for the lack of communication, I will re-write an account of my hunt in the morning; My son and new daughter in-law are in town and I was away from the computer the entire day playing Yellowstone tour guide.  It was a good day though, we managed to see and photograph several yogies (both with humps and without), hundreds of elk, hundreds of bison, and numerous big horn, pronghorn, and mule deer.
Steve O,
Sorry for the delayed account of my hunt, I had it written up but lost it when my laptop crashed last fall.  I had all the old files and stories retrieved from the hard drive then, and figured the story was buried in one of the disks but neither  myself or my IT guy have been able to it on the disks or the old hard drive:  Guess I had better start writing.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
This is good stuff!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
First, let me state that Alaskan Brown Bear has always been my number one dream hunt: even before I started big game hunting in 1986.  A short history: The summer of 1977, between my freshman and sophomore year in college, I worked on Kodiak Island in a fish cannery, the fishermen went on strike, so I fished everyday until my left arm couldn’t reel in another fish, then I fished right handed until it tired, then fished with both hands, then rested until I could fish some more….and then fished some more: It was a great summer.  While fishing along Yuyak Bay (sp) and a river about two miles away I had numerous encounters with brown bears, nothing life threatening, but definitely hair raising and it sparked my desire to hunt something other then pheasants and dove.  I also learned about Alaskan coastal tides, coastal brush, and devils club, the hard way!  
Forward to 2002: I read on another traditional bowhunting site (before Tradgang) where this guy had recently moved to Juneau and is looking to meet up with other traditional bowhunters.  I responded that I didn’t live in Juneau but my Brother Bob who shoots traditional had recently taken a transfer with his work and was moving there in a couple of weeks.  We emailed each other a couple of times, realized we had a couple of mutual friends and have touched bases off and on since.  As you probably guessed, Steve posted the inquiry.  It turned out that Steve and Bob worked in the same building and got to know each other over the next several years.
Forward to 2005: For three years I had been trying to make Brother Bob commit to a Brown Bear hunt but had been unable to succeed.  For the 2006 hunting season he finally committed, I filled out the applications and paid the fees for both Dall Sheep and Brown Bear tags for both of us and started dreaming.  As luck would have it, we both drew both tags.  Unfortunately, as happens with some people, Brother Bob had changed since moving to Alaska and one of those changes was he lost his desire to hunt.  This resulted in him not hunting since moving to Alaska and he did not have much of an idea where to hunt brown bear (read that again “not hunting since moving to Alaska” That folks, is my definition of an oxy-moron (spelling intended)).  We spent the next several months researching different options and got some good information from our brother Bill and some of his flying buddies who had flown logging helicopters for several years in the area.  However, I didn’t have much faith in our information but was committed to the hunt and wasn’t going to let Brother Bob back out.  I was going regardless!  This is where Steve came to the rescue and provided us with all if his hard earned knowledge of the area.  He unselfishly provided us with the locations of where he had hunted brown bear, where he had seen them, how to hunt them, what supplies to take, and what precautions to taken.  Believe me, this wasn’t general information, descriptions, or suggestions.  We went into a totally unfamiliar area and knew exactly what to expect around each bend, where the best place to glass from was, when the best time to hunt an area was, where the unseen obstacles were, you get the idea.  It was like having an exceptional guide tells us every pertinent piece of information before leaving Juneau.  Once again, before I forget, THANKS STEVE!!
I will try to write some more this morning but most likely it will be later this evening after my son and daughter in-law leave before I am able complete the account my hunt.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:  and the hunt continues..great stories
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Now normally I don't give all my good information away like that even to a good guy like Walt!

I knew it was probably a one time thing for Walt and I, for the third year in a row was not going to be able to hunt that May, this year for the best reason of all.  My wife Donnie (this was previous to our getting married) was fighting for her life in a Seattle hospital and going thru a double stem-cell transplant to fight the blood cancer Multiple Myeloma. This is the same cancer that TradGang brother Mike Mitten's wife Paula had; it seems an appropriate day to stop and think about Paula and Mike today for a moment.

A moment to brag.  My wife is a real Samurai, one of only a couple women to have achieved that level in the martial arts in the states.  So far the Multiple Myeloma seems to be under control but the side effects have been difficult and included having her gallbladder out three days ago, probable due to immune suppressant drugs she is on.  Thankfully she has some martial arts techniques for controlling pain, she sure has need them.

Good news guys, I got a new digital camera prior to my 2007 trip and had become a photo taking machine!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©