3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: May 2009: SOLO Alaskan Brown Bear  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: May 2009: SOLO Alaskan Brown Bear
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Since Walt is tied up with family today I will move forward into a bit of my 2007 trip.  I had decided that since there was a guide working the area real close to where I was camping, I would try and relocate my camp.  I remembered another small couple acre island off the coast of the main island that was just past the extent of my usual hunting grounds.  I decided to check out that island and sure enough it looked like it would work perfectly for my needs.

The tiny island is crisscrossed with otter trails and otter toilets everywhere so I will refer to this base camp as Otter Island.

Otter Island is awesome as it is very close to the main island.  Sure bears could get to it if they wanted to but it is out of the way so they don't routinely go over there.  This fact allows me to set up a peaceful camp and cook in or by my tent with no fear of having bears in camp!

I was later told that the island is haunted and was likely a native burial ground!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
The tide comes, in the tide goes out.  I have a couple hundred foot rope attached to an anchor with a separate rope to the boat and allows me to anchor and retrieve the boat from way out.  But, when you come in on a medium or low tide and the tide goes out there is nothing to do but wait until the tide returns and the boat once again floats! (in emergencies or when a good bear is spotted I can tighten the hernia belt and drag the boat of disassemble/reassemble but it is hard on the boat and my tired old body)

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Awesome stuff Steve!

Nathan

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
At low tide there is only one thing to do, relax and enjoy the down time and beach comb!

When I awake up to a low tide I have a leisurely breakfast.  Here is me and the Aunt having breakfast.

Low tide brings an opportunity for a great natural history lesson.  I grew up in small town-Nebraska and in early adulthood I spent time in Columbia and St. Louis, Missouri; Cheyenne, Wyoming so until I moved to Alaska the closest I lived to the sea was about 1,000 miles.

There are a lot of critters that are revealed at low tide, lets take a look at some of them.  It may look like wet mush at low tide but when the tide come in kelp waves in the current.  Eat sushi?  Types of kelp wrap the slimy little fishies in sushi.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Blue muscles, barnacles, and bladder rack.  Imagine trying to walk on these crunchy-critters when trying to sneak up on a bear!  Doesn't work very well, I can assure you!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Most everyone knows the ochre sea star.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Two other sea stars include the bat star (photo below) and the sunflower star.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
A blaze orange sponge.

A sea cucumber.

A jellyfish with a bit of phosphorescence.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
And human detritus.  Someone messed up here and was perhaps blown into the rocks and lost their outboard!  Looks like it has been here a few years or more.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
Oh, and by the way, the bears were out this year.  Here is a small front print.  Remember when i said something on my first post about bears as thick as ticks?  If they were ever thick as ticks this was the year.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
This trip I was using a 66# laminated longbow, Douglas Fir arrows, and 190 grain Ribteks.

Here is me for the first out of the tent picture of the whole feature!  I am in the back of a bay/tide flat glassing and watching for bears.  Looks like a rainy, blustery day.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Here is one view from where I was watching.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
And here is another view.

What?!  FOUR bears!  One sow and three second year cubs.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I,m back, the kids left, and I will get this out as soon as possible.

TheHunt
I flew into Juneau and we spent a day getting my tags, permits, and organizing our gear, before boarding the float plane and embarking on our hunt.   Our initial plan was to fly into the bay Steve described earlier:  
“I picked out a small protected bay for the last evening and slowly motored into the tight walled bay.  (Hey Walt, you paying attention? You know the place!).”  
Unfortunately, when we arrived at the bay there was a 40 foot cabin cruiser anchored and it appeared they would be there for a while.  Not wanting to disturb somebody else’s hunt we had the pilot land us at the next bay up the coast, unloaded the gear, set up camp, the boat, then relaxed and did some glassing around the bay.  This bay was somewhere around number 7 or 8 on Steve’s list of good bear locations so we didn’t expect to see much after flying in and disturbing the area.  The next morning came early and we slept a little later then we wanted but our plan was similar to the one Steve had used in the past, use a zodiac with a 9.9 h.p motor for transportation to cruise the beaches and move us to vantage points for glassing.  After getting up I went down to the boat to grab some gear and spotted a dark dot across the bay that I didn’t remember from the previous evening.  Quickly running back to camp I ran to the tent, told Bob what I had seen, grabbed my binoculars, we then ran back to the beach and confirmed it was indeed a brown bear rooting along the far beach.  After confirming it was indeed a bear (there are no black bears on these islands) we put together a plan and quickly gathered our gear.  Afraid the motor on the boat would scare the bear; we planned to follow the shore line around the bay, about a mile and a half, and try to work the edge of the shore line to get within range of the bear.
  Luckily, it was low tide and moving around the bay was easy, though we did remain concealed in the brush for most of the stalk.  The far side of the bay was a long finger that started about two hundred yards wide and narrowed to a point, jutting into the main channel approximately one half mile later. The bear was about four hundred yards from the end of the point where the finger had about fifty yards of dense cover.  Luckily the wind was in our favor, blowing steadily about 5-10 mph into our face.  Along the way I took the time to shoot several arrows at stumps and was hitting my spot out to thirty yards, well beyond my self imposed twenty yard limit.  However, I discovered my arm guard was at camp and I need to bend my arm a little more then usual to prevent the string from hitting my fleece jacket.  After closing the distance to three hundred yards we decided the brush was too thick to attempt moving closer to the bear without fear of the noise made moving through it alerting him.    We decided splitting up would reduce our risk of being detected when I made the final hundred and fifty yards of the stalk in the open, exposed to the bear’s sight. Bob decided use a mound in the tidal flat to block the bears view and moved out into tidal flat, then setting up on the mound to back me up with his rifle from an angle, rather then from directly behind.  We had used this technique successfully several times in the past while black bear hunting in Montana; If I blew the stalk, Bob usually got the bear as it attempted to escape.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
Now the real stalk, the part that is unique to bowhunting, what makes its different from any other type of hunting or endeavor, and the thrill that keeps me returning, began.  Staying low to the ground, close to the brush to help breakup my silhouette, moving only when the bears head was down and feeding, I started crawling closer to the bear.  The first hundred yards went relatively fast, at least to me, and my confidence kept building.  Gently move the left hand, the one holding the shot gun, place it, shift the weight, and make sure it didn’t rattle like it had earlier.  Next, move the right hand, the one holding the bow and un-knocked arrow, place it, shift the weight, and make sure the arrow doesn’t rattle. Now bring up the left leg, gently place it, and shift my weight.  Follow the same procedure with the right leg. Repeat the entire process. Freeze…. The bear raised his head and looks around while I remain motionless for ten to thirty seconds; until he resumes digging in the rocks and sand.  Repeat the process again and again until the distance to the bear is forty yards.  A quick glance over my shoulder to verify that my back up is still there and …… what the heck!  He is at least four hundred yards back and walking the other direction.  Thinking to my self, screw him; I am going to finish this regardless of what he is doing.  Concentrate on the bear, focus on him, and block anything except the stalk from your mind.  
Twenty minutes later the distance is closed to twenty three yards and I remain undetected, the bear is digging in the rocks, quartering hard away.  I tell myself, five more yards, move to that ten foot long piece of drift wood, and you are at your dead range. Eighteen yards, the distance where I am more confident then when taking a ten yard shot.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Cant wait!!! Thanks for the posts guys!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Suddenly, the bear explodes running ten yards to the edge of the brush, but stopping before entering, and looking the other direction, towards the mouth of the bay.  When the bear exploded I raised up, bringing my bow in line with the bear and half drawing the arrow.  I am quickly trying to decide rather to take the shot or not, he is out side of my predetermined range but well within my comfort distance, which I had practiced and in the past had made killing shots.  The other part of my brain is screaming, why the h*** did you bring up the bow instead of the shotgun?  I decided this it, picked a spot, drew, anchored, and then released the arrow.  To this day I only need close my eyes to clearly see the arrow arching toward the bear then suddenly dropping just underneath its chest and disappearing into a pile of kelp on the beach.  The bear immediately disappeared into the brush while I quickly knocked another arrow then grabbed the shotgun. Your guess is as good as mine why I grabbed another arrow before the shotgun.
The next two or three minutes I remained frozen, half expecting the bear to come charging from the brush four yards in front of me.  During this time I kept replaying the shot trying to analyze why it went low.  The string had hit my sleeve but the arrow had flown straight without any noticeable wobble and I didn’t hitting the sleeve was the entire cause.  To say I was dejected is an understatement, so I remained kneeling there for a couple more minutes when suddenly the bear reappeared from the brush where he had entered minutes before.  Only now his demeanor was completely different, he was walking softly, like his feet were on pins and needles rather then rocks and sand.  He alternated looking both directions on the beach, looking past me and trying to find what had made the noise that had sent him into the brush.  I got the impression he didn’t know what had made the noise but was going to whip whoever disturbed his feeding.  After a while he froze and started staring intently towards the mouth of the bay.  I am elated, thinking the good lord has given me second chance.  Slowly I rotated my upper body, telling myself to bend the bow arm, then started the shot sequence: picked a spot (a little higher this time), drew, anchored, then released the second arrow, keeping the bow arm slightly bent this time.  The arrow cleared the bow nicely and started arching toward the bear when suddenly the bear disappeared back into the brush before it arrived.  Literally, the brown bear did a complete 180 turn and was in the brush before the arrow arrived, on target this time.  It is hard to describe how fast that bear moved.  I once shot at a Javelin in Texas that turned 180 and dodged my arrow, this bear made him look slow.  
Once again the stare down with the brush was repeated, but when the boat that had been anchored in the neighboring bay came around the point headed our direction a few minutes later I accepted there wasn’t going to be a third chance and moved to the edge of the water to put some distance between myself and the brush.  The water was now forty yards from the brush instead of the hundred plus yards it had been when I started the last part of the stalk.  I now knew why the bear had been staring in that direction and was initially spooked; it had heard that boat coming.  Brother Bob had been forced by the rising tide to continually back up and reset on higher ground. During the final phase of the stalk he managed to move directly behind me two hundred yards down the beach.  He watched both arrows fly through his rifle scope and didn’t shoot the bear thinking that both arrows had been perfect hits.  He expected a short blood trail with a dead brown bear at the end.  Bob got seriously ill later that afternoon and we used the satellite phone to call the flying service and they picked us up the next morning,  ending my island hunt.  The hunt continued several days later on the mainland, but that is a story for another time.  If I can find some pictures from that portion of my brown bear hunt I will post them later.

On with your story Steve I'm sure it has a lot better ending.

Walt Francis

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Great stories guys.  Can't wait for more.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Walt, great story and what an adventure!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
One thing that crosses my mind is that a bow is niether tall enough to climb nor big enough to hide behind! What great stories. Not sure I could do it.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©