3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunt in Southwest Washington  (Read 1497 times)

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunt in Southwest Washington
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I saw another thread about a Trad Elk Hunt being planned for next year in Oregon and thought I would tell you about one here in Washington. So far only myself and one other guy are planning on going but next year I will be able to share more information and who knows.... It is in an area that is open for 3pt or better Bull Elk or antler-less from Sept. 8th through the 20th and Blacktail Buck 2pt or better or antlerless from Sept 1st through the 25th. Past years harvest statistics have it averaging between 12% and 15% success and around only 300 hunters. In recent years it was not open for antlerless during early season so most of those were probably hunting during late season. It is in the thick jungle of coastal Washington so it is not an easy hunt, but with the thick brush making it a close-range sport and low hunter densities it has definite possibilities for a quality hunt. Because it has previously not been open during early for cows or had a Muzzleloader season, the likelihood of them having established habitual seasonal "hangouts" is extreme in my opinion.And as we all know if you find cows during the rut, Bulls will not be far away! I will know more after a few scouting sessions and will update this post as I get more information. If there is any interest in joining on this expedition, ask any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunt in Southwest Washington
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
It is also open for Bear and cougar and small game during this time, and there is a lot of bear in unit. We are planning to set up a base camp on access road and hike/bike into gated areas. It is private timber land so almost all roads in are gated and motorized vehicles prohibited.
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Mike thats a great area but oh yeah its a jungle but lots of elk.bowdoc

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Yes, there are lots of elk and the likelihood of getting meat is high  :archer:  , but if I can get a decent Bull it will take 3 days just to pack them out. These coastal Roosevelt's run 600 to 800+ lbs as you know, and a Bull can top 1000. what a way to ruin a perfectly relaxing hunt  :biglaugh:   LOL!!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
I will be watching this with a lot of interest. What is the number of the unit?

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
It is unit 381, Bear River

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
Bjorn,Mike may have been driving to many miles last week.I think its 681 Bear River.I've hunted and fished both in that same unit and its a great area.bd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
Ahh! Thanks Doc-searching 381 and the 3 Elk kills just wasn't doing it for me!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
Unit 681 Bear River-lots of Elk, and looks very exciting! Please keep us posted.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Sorry, issues... BD is right 681

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
If you have a river, you can pack a raft....see "Bows on the Little Delta" *^).

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
The funny thing is the actual river is very small I mean maybe 7-9 feet wide at most places and knee deep it would be impossible to float this river its more like a creek or stream.Logs acrossed it and overhanging brush is way to thick.
However salmon fishing during the early season and salmon and or steelhead during the late season make that trip worth the trip believe me.bd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
I think bowdoc just upped the ante for this place!

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
STIKNSTRINGBOW,
This could be very interesting, please keep me in the loop and if dates work I would be very interested in joining group, thanks.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
No problem, I am going to head down there in June and GPS all the roads that can be driven and mark gates to find a good spot for base camp and take pictures of any game I see. I checked regs and streams will be open for Steelhead and Coho. Also Bear harvest seems to vary greatly between 5-10% with last season being 9%. Arial photos dont do it justice and last month I went to Longbeach to do some clamming and did see some roads that were open on west boundary, but I am going to look around the Naselle side first because I know the Willapa Hills area has more hunters that might push them across boundary prior to season. (Willapa Hills is where Trap Creek is located for all you Glenn St.Charles fans, i.e. Bows on Little Delta.)

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
STKNSTRNG,

I may be in the Gorge area either in late June or July this year, not sure yet of dates I will keep in touch. Waiting to see if I drew a Nevada (Resident) Antelope this year, if so then I am not going to hunt WA this year, if not and if I can come up with the non-resident fee (10X resident) then I plan on trying to go for deer in GMU 574 Wind River this fall. The money is tight and drawing the pronghorn tag is more affordable. We have a property above Stevenson and will be building/moving there by fall of 2010; so the 2010 Elk hunt sounds real feasible and I need to check and see what the resident requirements are, or make it my retire gift to myself of paying the non-resident fees. All cases aside let keep talking.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:00 AM »
Good Luck, Wind River seems to have 2x the hunters, The deer tag for WA is Statewide, so if you want to check it out keep me in mind, but as far as deer go I am seeing incredible numbers near my home while scouting for turkeys. I will probably get one within 10 miles of home. Although I want to keep my options open during elk season there is nothing like Heart and liver and back-straps etc. for camp meat. I will look for a deer opening week and then get serious about elk

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I have been doing research on area and it looks like base camp is going to be 3-4 miles behind a gate on a patch of state land surrounded by private timber company that does not allow overnight camping so it will be pretty secluded. This is due to gates restricting access and co. not allowing camping. I am in contact with a local where I can park vehicles so they will be safe. I will be going in in August to set-up camp with tarps and poles, dig latrines, cache supplie, etc. and am looking for local meatcutter to hang/cut meat so all we gotta do is get it out of the woods.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 03:00:00 AM »
I have hunted this area for 20+ years. Usually Bear River is pretty well gated up until Rifle elk season starts. When rifle season starts they do usually open a few gates. Two years ago during late season a teriffic storm hit this area laying down millions of board of timber.  The local logging companies are trying to salvage as much of this as possible therefore the roads were alot more accesable last year.

As far as I know, they have never given out "Cow Tags" in this area to rifle or muzzle loader hunters so yes, there are cows. I have through out the years, seen several good bulls in this area. However, with timber prices being what they are, there is and has not been alot of real logging going on in there [ besides trying to recover the "Down Timber". Therefore it is grown "up" and "over" pretty bad.  Many of the open hillsides that used to allow viewing lots of elk are now 20+ ft tall in "Reprod" [new fir trees] and alder. This stuff can be so thick that you would be better off with a spear than a bow. You can hear them all around but can't see for the trees. At least you might be able to jab the spear thru the thick stuff and get lucky.

There are some good clear cuts in the proper growth stages [but not many] to hold elk and last year we hunted them alot.  At that time of year, [ Late Season ] I never did see a legal bull but did see and get into cows most days. Which are legal to all hunters holding a West Side Archery Elk tag during the late season with no special draw.

Last year during late season { from about Thanksgiving thru Mid Dec.} we camped out and had several nights in a row when it was 17 deg with a high during the day of around 23 deg. Even with heat in the tents the snow never melted off.  Be prepaired to get wet [ not so bad during Sept.] and have some good "quiet" rain gear and dry stuff to change into at the end of the day.

One more note: there is almost no such thing as level ground !!! Even all of the logging roads you will be walking to get in behind the gates seems to be all UP HILL,  I'm sure they also go downhill but, I'm usually so tired at the end of the day that I can't tell up from down.  :help:  

I did not write all of this as a "Doom and Gloom" post by any meins.  Just want you know what tyype of area you'll be hunting.  I'm 58 and not in the best of health, but it keeps calling me back.

The little community of "Naselle" near by is very Hunter Friendly, there are some good places to eat, sit in front of a fireplace in the evening with a cold one and a pizza, and if your more into renting a warm dry room they have three motels and a RV trailer park.

Come on down, look for a Nice looking [Baby Shi_ color] green and white 73 Bronco... and wave. I'll more than likely give you one back.  If you do see me and need some help, I have a winch and 5600 feet of cable in the back of that "good looking old bronco".

One more thing, I had a tradganger, Curt Yeager come up from Folsom Cal. and spend some quality hunting time in the Bear River last winter and he's looking forward to comming back.

And another, A GPS can be very useful in this area. Especially to mark camp, your vehicle, and possibly that elk your going to be finding when it comes time to "Pack Em Out".  Looking forward to meeting you guys down there!!

Gene  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Do you hunt it during early?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©