3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunt in Southwest Washington  (Read 1498 times)

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunt in Southwest Washington
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
What I find amusing, is back in October, I asked on several different forums about this unit and received absolutely NO responses. I kept asking and received a few responses about it stating that it was a difficult hunt and expect rain and thick underbrush. The closer we get to season I am getting more input and except for ONE person I am being told to find another spot! I am starting to think that this is an even better place than I anticipated and these guys are like turkey hunters/fishermen and want to keep a good area to themselves. Why else have most of them been hunting it for as long as they have? (average 15 years) The harvest stats speak for themselves ( 12+% success and 4:5 bull/antlerless) Almost all walk in and no place to camp? yet L.E. Carrol mentions snow not melting off the tent? I live in Chehalis and am aware of storm he mentions and with all the salvaged blow-downs there will be more openings, caused by the trees themselves and also recovery machines tear up the ground quite a bit causing nice small opening for new growth. I also have been hunting Elk for almost 30 years and clear-cuts only hold elk while actively feeding, they head for timber and thick forest at first light. To quote Jim Zumbo " if your not in the trees during the day you wont shoot an elk" This is going to be an interesting season and I will keep you updated and take lots of pictures.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
This idea sounds interesting.  I haven't hunted out there for quite a few years.  It might be fun to get together and meet some new folks.  Now I just have to convince my huntin buddy to try a different location.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Mike is one border Long Island ??????? bd

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
Ohhh!! sounds FUN!  But, not for me:(  Gotta get back into some sort of shape.  But next year???
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
Long Island and Longbeach are both on the west side of unit. Long Island is Archery ONLY and you need a boat to access, Long beach is firearm restricted and on the upper nw boundery is Willapa National Wildlife Preserve the NE boundary is Williams Creek (a decent unit also, but Buck only for deer. Willapa Hills is Eastern Boundary with the Columbia River south.
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Angus:
Ohhh!! sounds FUN!  But, not for me:(  Gotta get back into some sort of shape.  But next year???
I say that every year, but keep getting older!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 01:35:00 AM »
Would Long Island be a good choice for Elk Hunting? Does not look like you would need too much of a boat to get there............

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
GMU 699-LONG ISLAND (Pacific County):

2006 General Harvest = (Deer - 0) ( Elk - 6) ( Bear - 3) ( Cougar - 0) (Turkey - 0)  

2007 General Harvest = (Deer - 0)  ( Elk - 8)( Bear -4)  ( Cougar - ?)(Turkey -0)

One of the most unique hunting experiences you will have.  This unit is only accessible by boat.  The boat launch is right off of 101  Watch the tides and be careful of currents going through the channel.  The island holds significant amounts of Deer and Elk  The whole island is productive.  It is important to note that this unit can be quite crowded despite its difficulty to get to.
       Even though it would be a unique experience, I am looking for an area with more animals, and a higher success rate. Long-beach and Williams Creek are other options, but I am concentrating on Bear River because of a formula I worked out by factoring in Total harvest,antlered harvest/antlerless harvest and success rate:hunter numbers and also wanted the option to harvest a deer.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Good to have someone with local knowledge!
Thanks

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
LONG ISLAND!!  Dang now your talking.  I hunted it back when most of you were in grade school.  Started walking on downfalls in the cedar swamp and at one point looked down at bedded elk.. . .30 ft below me.  Scared the buggers out of me and I didn't get a shot.  Later I had a nice bull out on the beach but was looking through a hole in the brush..  .shot 2 ft under him.

Fun place to hunt but take two compasses and a gps. . plus figure on getting lost twice a day.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »
:D   "Fun place to hunt but take two compasses and a gps. . plus figure on getting lost twice a day. LOL "                                                                                                                                                 :archer:    Almost all of coastal Washington is like that, unless it was logged, Then its worse,  :eek:   There are a lot of good units in SW but closer to my home they are experiencing a malady called Hoof Rot, caused by the recent floods supposedly, and the population is in decline. Other Units have more numbers of elk but are also larger units so it kind of evens out. The unit I selected is kind of in the middle. I am mostly going by reports from locals and information from WDFW and trying to stay away from areas that have a lot of active roads. I am going there next weekend to scout and take pictures. I will take my GPS and mark all open roads and where gates are. Before I go I will mark (on GPS) where state land is so I can have a better understanding of access and figure out where to camp.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
"""You know despite the big fear of everyone hunting over here becuase its published doesnt scare me! Like alot of people I dont get my elk every year! But I do get up close and personnel with them most all of the season!  The coastal area is just as good as all region 5 areas, the down side most all gates are locked, and the terrain can be steep right out of the truck! The cool thing about BEAR RIVER "THERE IS ROADS ALL THE WAY AROUND IT! Williams creek, Head west you hit the Bay, head east 101 north! The big thing is get some were and work it slow n hard! TAG TEAM WORKS BEST! I would recommend a topo map! Learn how to use the ridges to go from one place to the next ie; I hunted from the LONG ISLAND REFUGE clear over to OAKIES GROCERY in naselle in 1 day on foot! The bear river ridge is the bomb for big bulls! If you know the land and the look outs you can watch elk all day long and base your hunts from there! The low down! Chinook has strong herds in the valley area, hunt the ridge facing the fields becuase typically the fields are flooded with hunters! Brix rd if you know how to use it can produceexcellent elk if not jump 1 ridge and your in bean creek which is great for a cow or follower bull! The mouth of the bear river were it meets the bay is awsome but stay out of the elk refuge! The power lines on the bay produce elk each year! Popular rd is a local favorite! As for naselle lots of private land elk ask for permission! Radar hill produces , as does upper rd, salmon creek, and deep rvr area! Williams creek "GOVERNEMENT RD" is loaded with bow hunters! Haeding north the nemah is great and full of elk! Heck germany creek is the same just as mill creek, and fossil creek! The key bring a bike and peddle your tail off, unless you know the local herds! Long island is worth the boat ride as well! I do alot of hiking and know were the animals are becuase I live in the area. Also I would love a PM on areas you may hunt and would enjoy helping out anyone on there coastal or I-5 hunt! Good luck this year and remember if you come over leave it as you left it and dont ruin the area for other to enjoy! """"" (HEADSHOT)  :campfire:

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FINALY made it down to scout out the area a little. I brought my 2 daughters with me and drove down ti GPS gates and see about a camping spot. We saw 3 large herds of elk (25-30 per herd) on the way there alongside the highway. I tried turning around to get pictures, but as soon as I stopped to take them the elk took off  Upon arriving at unit boundary I found every side road into unit gated as I expected from all reports. At the southernmost border of unit I found an unlocked gate and drove in. Just my luck, we were socked in with dense fog and a slight drizzle. Visibility was zero so I drove until I got on top and got out to stretch our legs. I saw several tracks from elk and deer so I figured that was a good sign but also could hear sounds of active logging going on. Now I know why gate was open! I then decided that since it was Saturday and I had no Idea how long the gate would be unlocked I got out of there!
We drove around and stopped at a few gates and saw a few tracks, but most gates were in Northeaster border so I headed up to North boundary and found a promising looking gate near the river (Ellesworth slough/creek) we parked at the gate under power-lines and hiked in a couple miles. This is where it gets interesting.....

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I kind of got confused on my posts, I have been posting on Southwest Washington Archery Elk. I just found this one again, Sorry!   :smileystooges:

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
Hey gang,

I am looking at hunting the bear river unit and planned to run out from Vancouver, Wa. to scout it on Sunday.  Who do I need to chat to about joining in the shared camp and sharing costs.  I am definately in on the idea of meeting a bunch of new trad hunters and having a nice spot to sit around the fire and shoot the breeze after a hard days hunting.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in camp
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
So far I am the only one I know of going this year. You are more than welcome to join me. I will be pretty easy to find, my camp will be at the campground I describe in other thread (I dont know how to tranfer posts) and my truck is a white F150 with a Tradgang.com decal in window. Next year there will be a few more joining.(especially after hearing how we do) It is an open invite so we'll see. Check the other post.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
what was the name of the other post.  I am planning to hunt weekends and have a few long weekends I will be out.  I will look forward to meeting you and working the unit hard for elk.  Another question.  Do you plan to bear hunt while your out? I do quite a bit of calling and it works a lot better if you have a caller and a hunter further out in front.  If your interested we can do some predator calling and see if we cant get a bear or two as well as some elk and deer in camp.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
The other post is "Southwest Washington Archery Elk"
I just picked up an Arizona Game Calls "T-Rex" and Jones Calls "Last Call" with the Idea of trying to call one in myself, so that sounds great!

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
If that post is too confusing, I will be camping at Snag Lake Campground. It is 3.2 miles north of Hwy 4, turn up road behind Juvenile facility.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
The post can be found in WASHINGTON-Traditional Bowhunters of Washington section.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©