3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who includes kids or others  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who includes kids or others
« on: March 24, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
After looking at the results of the average trad gangers age. I was wondering how many of us take a child or friend trad hunting with them or try to introduce others to our sport. I myself take my two kids along hunting and shooting and have started many people hunting.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who includes kids or others
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
Stone,

I take my son along hunting as well as a friend.  I enjoy shooting with others as well.

It is alot easier to hunt without my son but anymore it means more to me to be out with him than to harvest an animal.  When it took my buck last year he was right there for the whole thing beginning till it was cleaned.  He was shaking he was so fired up!

I have tons of great memories of last fall with him hunting worth more than any deer.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline ArkansasHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
I try to get my buddies to shoot with me, but I hunt on private land and wouldnt feel right bringing people out there. I wish I could though.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
I've gotten a few buddies into trad, and I bring my kids along on alot of hunting trips. But I also help out with our local Jakes Day (NWTF kids event) and let them shoot a bunch of light longbows. Maybe that will "plant the seed" so to speak.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
I take my two boys Vaughn(4) and Angus(2) out on my scouting trips. Little Vaughn also likes to shoot his little glass bow with me somtimes, but I don't make him shoot everytime I shoot, just when he asks to join me.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
"My Boys" are always with me!!!!!

You met my oldest son Kevin at the Bunny Hunt,and Tyler will be 8 in a couple weeks (April 6th)

They usualy go to all 3D shoots and most hunts with me   :archer:    :archer:    :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
I working with my 3 year old "Lin-Lin" and will be taking her to shoots and eventually hunting. I'm just getting back into archery and have not been hunting yet. Hard to find avialable land around here, its all leased up. We've got another little one on the way and will doing the same boy or girl.

Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
A very generous friend just made two longbows for my 5 yr. old twin girls.  They love to shoot with me.

Offline 808nate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I'm young but I'm always trying to get my friends interested and to date I think i've gotten about 6 of em to buy their own gear and really get into it.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Lin-Lin has got to be the most beautiful archer I have ever seen! What a blessed family you have, Mr. Thomas.

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
I agree with Killdeer, but think you should have "Wendy" for her nick name. Hap

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Thanks Killdeer and Hap, but Wendy was NEVER on the list. I'm cursed enough.   :D
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Well, despite what the poll says, I'm 53 and have three children under 7...and yes, I have begun introducing all of them to our lifestyle.  I also try to get family and neighborhood kids into shooting and keep several old bows and youth bows around for that purpose.  I try to by all of the equipment from sponsors and members of this site, and so far, that's working out great!!  Age is just a state of mind and you're never to old to share with children!!
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
I always have my 6 yo son with me and my cousin too, since December when I talked him into buying a curve.Hes never shot bows and hes hooked now.My good old huntin bud since we were 10 is also looking to go trad after seeing my bows and the things Ive made with the help of this site(quiver,knife,arras).Im looking forward to the baby joining us,probably this summer when hell be 20 months.I see myself as a trad preacher of sorts spreading the good word of trad.  :biglaugh:

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Since our local School District decided to NOT do Archery in Schools, I work with kids in my yard every summer. Last summer I had 17 local School Kids from age 5 to 17. I carry liability Insurance and have the kids parents give me written approval. Still taking chances but I believe the payoff is worth it. I have a rather large yard and set up 10 to 20 3D targets as well as practice bullseye's. The Kids really enjoy shooting the 3D animals. Most of the Community knows me well enough, I have worked for the School District the past 19 years and also I'm the School's bowling coach.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
I've spent some time with the grandsons in the back yard shooting, but haven't had an opportunity to hunt with them. I usually donate 3 or 4 Saturdays for youth programs in primitive archery and crafts. I've probably helped 500 kids and adults to take their first shot with a traditional bow. Soon I hope to be better set up to teach traditional archery for those who are just getting into it.

There are a lot more people who think that we should have youth programs then there are people who will make time to help with a youth program. That's a pity. It's as rewarding for those helping someone to make that first shot as it is for those making that first shot. It's a win-win situation for both.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Cute little missy there!

I will let whomever has the interest and the ability to pull my bow, shoot it. My other half has two boys from a previous marriage (8&9) and I have them out there killin stumps. They were hooked from the first time they saw me let one rip out of my Border ("Man, that bow shoots as fast as a rifle! Can you get us bows so we can shoot with you?")Oh yea, not a problem guys! Got a 16 year old neiborhood kid shooting with us also. He's takin a liking to my ole 65 Kodiak...better get him his own bow pretty soon and wein him off the good stuff. As far as I'm concered, we are here to teach the youngin's right! Here's a pic of Zach on his very first time out. He's going to be a dead ringer when it comes to shootin bows...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
I have three kids. Two boys,11 and 9, and my sweet little girl who is 6. My girl likes to shoot, but she has told me its ok to hunt but not for her. (She does love to fish)

My boys have been with me since before they could
walk. Experienced bloodtrailers, competent shooters, patient stewards of all things wild.

It was an honor to invest my time to show them
the best parts of all the things I love. It was my joy to see them respond the way they have.

My nine yr old can send out a challenge howl that even the most call shy coyote can not resist. For now he walks unarmed. But he has already passed hunter safety, and soon the day will come.

My eleven yr old amazed me this past October as I watched him arrow a 5 1/2 yr old doe from a heavily hunted chunk of woods close to home.
She had gotten a whiff and was on full alert.
He acted as if he had done it a dozen times before.  His instinctive shot from his tiny compound bow put her on the ground in 50 yds with a PERFECT shot in the pocket.

"Take your kids hunting so you don`t have to hunt for your kids." Its simple but its true. Its amazing what I have learned along the way.

Sorry about the bragging.

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
My son & I have been huntin' /shootin' partners since he was seven or eight years old.
That's him on the right in my avatar. Never had a bad day with him!!!!!

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
first they read and learn...

then they shoot!!!!!

My kids are my world, everything I do is for them and my wife,,,until october then I become a zombied whitetail chaser only seen usaull well before light and well after,,,, Just kiddin ya.. Take care all. Jason B.
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©