3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinion on cheap bow  (Read 782 times)

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinion on cheap bow
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Okay, I sold my hunting recurve and had all intentions of getting set up with a widow, but due to the downturn in the market am left empty handed and had to break into my bow fund to keep afloat. needless to say I need to get going getting used to a different bow. So, I have been looking at cheaper bows and found one that interests me and was woundering your opinion. It is a Samick Red stag. It is left handed 60 inch takedown and 55 at 28 which is a little light for me but at 204.96 shipped it would be a good for me. thanx for any info on this bow. Travis
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinion on cheap bow
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
We keep sending money to Korea(the bow is actually made in China for them)and the market upturn will be even longer in the coming.

Check the classifieds here. Post an ad with your budget and what you are looking for, don't be surprised if you get more than you normally would expect.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Travis, That is good advice from vermonster. You won't go wrong..
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I like my Samick. It's been a nice starter bow.

I wish I would have known about the classifieds here when I bought it. I could've got something nicer and made closer to home.
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Please think the same then when buying Carbon Express arrows...made in Korea.   Better to opt for those made in USA...Easton and others.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I would rather have a used Bear, Howatt,etc than a new korean bow. $150 or so should get you a nice bow.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Did you add that to the Bow Classifieds? There are  MANY People that  WANT  to Help New Archers, or "Down on the Fundage" Archers.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:  
 "One Good Turn, Brings On Many Happy Folks!" "One Good Turn, Brings on Many Happy Folks!"  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
USA bow maker
marlon torres

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
thanx guys I posted up in the classifieds. I don't wanna sound like a hardship case. I have a great job at a well known heavy equipment dealer. Times are way tough right now. When I got this job 5 years ago I would of never guessed that anything could effect a place like this, but it did. So a guys gotta reel it in to keep it going along. I just hope this summer picks up. Some of the guys who got hired as of the last two years I feel sorry for. It is a classic case of live within your means learned the hard way. Some of the 19-23 year old guys bought brand new trucks, harleys and just kept thinking I will always make more. I couldn't imagine having a 700 dollar truck payment, 250 dollar or more for insurance a month and a loan on a harley that is "only costing" 250 dollars a month for the next 12 years. WOW. my wife and I saved for a trip to the south pacific for 3 years and bought the tickets and paid for everything to go in march so we were good to go. It just feels weird we will be going the first week in July while we are cutting back. But no refunds. Oh well, God has a plan.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 05:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Please think the same then when buying Carbon Express arrows...made in Korea.   Better to opt for those made in USA...Easton and others.
Got you covered George. I shoot Axis(some Bemans also owned by Easton) and ADs. Those are the only arrows I buy new. Do what I can to keep the money stateside where I can.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
I bought a Samick Red Stag and it is a nice bow. Sorry fellows but it was the only recurve they sold in this archery shop and looked nice and was the right price.  It is the only foriegn made bow that I own.

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the plug on Carbon Express. I wish I'da known that a month ago. I doesn't feel right shooting a custom traditional bow with arrows made in Korea. I just ordered my Beman replacements friday. Anybody want to buy some arrows? lol

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Lots of good used American made bows around.
(if given the choice better Korea than China,though)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I suppose you guys only buy bows from American bowyers made of only USA grown wood like osage, maple, and elm right?  Not trying to stir the pot, just curious as to where the line is drawn--everybody draws it someplace and I guess we all have some inconsistencies in our practices. Just my thought for the day--hope you have a great one.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I bought my Red Stag in Febuary and absolutely love it. It feels nice in the hand, it doesn't squeak when drawn, and it was very easy to master. You can't go wrong with the Red Stag in my opinion, especially for the price.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Might want to check out a Quinn.     http://www.quinnsarchery.com/quinn%27s_archery_001.htm    

Since you are a lefty you will have to get a Stingray riser with the Stallion limbs.  I just got one and it is a screamer.  For other opinions on Quinns do a search here.  The price for a new Quinn made to your specs is right in the range of what you are looking to pay.  David and Peggy Quinn are good folks to deal with.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
If you want, you don't have to, but I have a old Ben Pearson 55# 62" long I'll "GIVE" you. You pay for the shipping and I'll send you the bow! Shipping I guess would be $15-$20. Is that cheap enough??
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I guess I did'nt read the post with care. your Left handed.... The bow is right.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
the arrow is way more important than the bow.  use the best arrows you can afford.

get a used bow, and save big time.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©