3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GFA Quiver  (Read 382 times)

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
GFA Quiver
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
I am thinking of getting one and would like to hear some pros and cons from those who have them before buying so I can make a decission.

Thanks!  :cool:

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: GFA Quiver
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
I have tried about every type of quiver out there and there is no one quiver that is suitable for every type of archery situation...but for a hunting quiver, I now prefer the GFA type quiver. It is quiet and easily accessible and can be situated and carried many way while stalking, still hunting and for tree stand hunting.
  I made mine from an old Selway slip-on bow quiver.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
I love em too.  made mine from an old Delta quiver I had lying around, which is the same quiver GFA uses.

Offline Dave Schneider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
I have a selway on my bench with the same idea in mind.  What did you use for the center piece and how did you connect the quiver to it?  How did you come up with the distance between the hood and clip?

Any other thoughs or pics?

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Will be my first year using a GFA syle quiver have always used bow quivers.I think I am going to like it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
I made mine from an old Bear Bolt on quiver, put strap on and it seems to work real well. That old Bear quiver holds 7 seven arrows, so I carry a couple of blunts with my broadheads,
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I owned around 8 quivers last year and after I bought my gfa I sold all of them except for a side stalker quiver for shoots\\target shooting and my gfa for hunting, the gfa is my favorite quiver, when hunting from the ground I just take it off and set it by my feet so its out of the way and when stalking through brush I can slide it behind my back so its out of the way also
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
I have a home made version similar to the GFA quiver that I made several years ago. I don't even know what kind of quiver it was made from because I bought it off the auction site. Has 2 round grippers and a round metal hood (now covered with suede) and holds 6 arrows. I have really liked it for deer hunting. I also use a plains style quiver for when I want/need to carry more arrows for a kix of small game and hogs/deer.
If you are going to buy one, I would suggest the GFA.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
I put a strap on my Bear bolt on quiver which is the same as a Delta and the GFA.  I like it very much.  It's really versatile when you can bolt it on your bow and use it as a side or back quiver.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
I've got the GFA and love it.  Tried making one, but couldn't get it to balance the way I wanted.  Bought the GFA and used it all of last year.  Works great.  I carry three broadheands and have plenty of space for blunts/flu flu's for the occaisional squirrel.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
I've used my GFA for years with superb results. Perfect balance and ease of use everywhere from the crazy thick bush in British Columbia to sitting a treestand in a Missouri riverbottom. Go with a GFA. Great quiver that is my "go to" quiver for every hunt.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
The GFA type quiver looks like the best all-round quiver to me. I converted an old KwikKwee quiver I had lying around (things probably at least 10 years old). Not exactly a GFA but close. Seems to work pretty well although I haven’t been able to take it hunting yet.

The bracket is made from two pieces of thin veg-tan leather sandwiched together and hand stitched. I used a spring washer and two metal washers either side of that just behind the screw to give enough tension to stop the bracket from moving, makes it adjustable too. Reckon I’ll make some leather straps this week to replace the nylon one I used to test the idea.

I think Im going to like it, its quiet, takes my “thick” AD Trads and skinny Axis arrows and is versatile, I can wear it over the shoulder, strap it to my backpack etc…and turned out pretty cheap too  :D

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
Check out the new GFA Signature quiver with the Moose hide covered hood.

http://shrewbows.com/gfa_quiver/
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Dave Schneider, You just have to play with the distance between the hood and arrow grip. The closer they are together the wider the spread of the fletching is. Mine is 12", mounting screw to mounting screw.

and I also use a side stalker style for 3D and target shooting.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©