3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Test Dummies, Low Stretch, et, al.  (Read 373 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Test Dummies, Low Stretch, et, al.
« on: May 25, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Well thanks to a fellow bowhunter, I was convinced to do some experimenting with one of my recurves.  The bow is a 45#, Shakespeare, Necedah from 1967.  It has a 3 layer shedua tip overlays and in very good functional condition.  That said, this gentleman made up a 10 strand, 450 bowstring for me to try.  I know....I'm an old dacron curmudgeon but bear with me.

Prior to gettin the 450 string, I used a D97 on this bow for about 200+ shots with no ill effect.
I checked the tips after every round, and continue to do so.  After I got the 450 string, I've shot about 200 more shots and the bow is doing very well.  

What I noticed immediately was a very crisp shot process with little bow movement.  I also noticed the string does have some elongation on release, as it shows on the limbs where I sprayed them with some gray paint.  There seems to be an additional 1/2 to 3/4 inch travel from where the string rests at brace.

Since I have no electronic gadgets to measure and compare speed, I have only to gauge by feel and my point-on.  With the dacron string my point on was 52 yards; with the 450 string it is a tad over 58 yards, using app 490 grain arrows; 2016 @ 28" with 125 grain tips.  That's with split finger, corner of mouth, with back of thumb/hand against my cheek bone.  The noise is no greater with the 450 than with my dacron...that was a surprise to me.

I don't have much invested in the bow so I figured it was worth the chance to see what effect, if any, the newer material would have.  I'll keep at it and closely monitor the evidence.
At this point, just through shooting and bow behaviour, I don't see where it is any harder on the bow than the dacron was.

Now please understand.  I'M NOT TELLING ANYONE TO DO THIS!!!!!     :readit:      I am simply satisfying my own curiousity as to whether or not we are just supposing that the newer string material is overly harsh on older bows.  Perhaps some will be, but so far I'm not seeing it with the 450 string.   More to follow.

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Test Dummies, Low Stretch, et, al.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Good info George. Every bow is different, some shoot better with Dacron and some shoot better with FF and others yet show very little difference. Every bow I now own shoot alot better with D97 or 8125, quieter and faster with less vibration. Keep it up, you can teach old dogs new tricks  :D

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
I think dean torges uses 450+ on the bows he makes as well.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks for noting why I prefer FF type materials (Dynaflight '97 is my favorite)--mainly the lack of stretch, creep, and hand shock.

Chad

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
It's the driver in the seat!

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Good for you George.  You'll continue to find resistance to new ideas, but at least you had the personal courage to buck the dogma and at least try it with an open mind.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
frank,  no.....it isn't always.  That's why I'm giving it a try.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Open-mindedness is a trait to be admired.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©