3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight  (Read 327 times)

Offline arrowhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Hi,
I stumbled across this site, it looks like a great site.
I have been compound shooting and hunting for over 30years. I want to get into traditions hunting this looks like a good place to start.
My question what weight bow would fit. I have a 25" draw shooting a compound with a release. I would guess that would be a 26" finger shooting.
I see they measure recurves @ 28, how do you convert to 25" or 26". Is there an standard xlbs per inch?
Thanks,

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Your draw will shorten going to trad tackle (for a while.....then it gets longer.....then may 'shrink', again).

you can have a bow built to your DL at whatever #-age you want.  I'd "GUESS" 2-3#'s per inch, but most bows will differ.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Pretty much 2-3# per inch covers most bows.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Welcome to Trad Gang!  As you have already found, this IS the place to get all of your questions answered.  

One other good thing to consider in starting out is to limit yourself to a fairly low draw weight.  For most people 40-45# is a good place to start, but definately at least 10-15# less than what you might be pulling with a compound.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I went from shooting a compound with fingers to recurve, and lost an 1".  So far I don't think I have inched back up.  I used to shoot an old 10% let off and 70#.  I dropped down to 55# and have no problem holding the bow back.  I would suggest trying to find some local trad shooters (this sight is great for having friendly folk willing to help) and drawing some bows and seeing what your draw length is and what weight feels comfortable.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
There are alot of trad guy's on this site from New York. One of them is bound to be close to where you live. Maybe one of them would be willing to help you find a bow. Most bows are figured at 28" but like the other guy's said you can figure 2-3# per inch of draw. Whip is right about the weight. The reason most people don't do well shooting trad is because they are over bowed. I learned this lesson the hard way. Good luck with your search and welcome to the Gang!

-Leonard-
-Leonard-

Offline arrowhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
My friend is offer to sell me his Kieth Chastain
55@28. for about $300. The problem is there is no place to try in as we do not live close to one another. I do not want him to ship the bow only for me to ship it back. If I understand correct this should pull about 47/48??? Do you think this would be a good starter bow?
Thanks

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Hi Bill! Welcome to Trad Gang. Best place to be for startin' out with recurves and longbows... If your friends bow is 55# @ 28" you should be drawing 49# @ 26", 46# @ 25". My guess (by the info you stated) is if you shoot a wheel bow with release at 25" draw, that recurve bow would lend it self to a 24" give/take draw for you. So you may get 43#'s from it. Perfect weight to learn with!

... mike ...   :archer:   ...

PS... Where in NY do ya live?
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with Chastain bows.  If it's in good condition then that price is good.  If your draw length with a trad bow is 24" then you will lose between 8 to 10 lbs below what is shown on the bow.  You are correct in your guess.  That draw weight is about what I'd recommend for a newbie to trad bows.  As others have noted, too many folks start off overbowed and either hurt themselves or get frustrated and quit because they can't learn to shoot well.

Good Luck and welcome to TG!
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©