3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you "pick a bow"?  (Read 674 times)

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you "pick a bow"?
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
It is the end of May already!  Deer & Elk season open up here (Oregon) in three months (end of August).  

Have you picked a bow yet?  Do you pick a bow?  Do you stick with it once you pick a steady?  Does it make a difference?

RonP

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you "pick a bow"?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
My bow picked me.  None of my other bows seemed to like me very much and tossed my arrows in places I didn't want them to go.  This bow at least seems to tolerate my weaknesses and puts up with my faults, so I'm going to dance with her.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
I have to agree with Whip,my Morrison longbow just seemed to fit.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »
Right now it's still up in the air with me. Getting down to crunch time and I've yet too decide. But, got one in the works that may put an end to all that jazz, as the saying goes!   :thumbsup:

Gonna be an Osage riser w/walnut stripe. Osage limbs belly/back with action boo core. Also, Walnut tip overlays. I'll post pics when she's done.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
I pick my hunting bow in September and then shoot it exclusivly till hunting season is over.The rest of the year I shoot many different bows

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
I have a Pittsley Predator and a Fred Bear custom TD that shoot the same arrows exactly the same.  I switch between them for hunting.  The rest of the year and squirrel season I shoot many other bows.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
I shot all of them and ended up shooting a Robertson Peregin recurve, it is light and shoots like a dream.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
I never know untill the afternoon before or sometimes morning on openning day what I will hunt with.I usually have broadheads on arrows for several bows so just let the mood or a particular stand dictate what I hunt with that day.As long as the arrows are tuned for the bow and they got simmons on one end the other stuff does not matter too much to me.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
My elk bow is picked.  Haven't decided on a back-up yet.  I use several bows for deer depending on my mood, stand, etc., much like James.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
I have a Silvertip coming in September, that will be the determining factor! if it fits like I hope it will, then I'm done looking. I got my fingers crossed!! Jason

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Good question Ron! I used to have to go through this process....then I sold all my bows and started just buying one bowyer's bows. They are all in the same draw length and weight. So, I can just grab one and go. Are you thinking of hunting that sweet little Bear you came upon? Or are you still deciding?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
I get upset at myself when I read questions like that. Just reminds me... I have too many bows!  :rolleyes:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
I have hunted the same 1968 model Bear KH for nearly 20 years (it's been in the family since it was new). This season was it's last. Time to put it out to pasture and just let it graze. Maybe a Droptine restore this summer just to reclaim it's old glory.

I love the bow. I have others I shoot better, mostly. Others that are faster, mostly. None have it all like the Bear does, BUT, I just got a Quinn Stallion. So far, it seems to have it all as well, mostly.

It would break my heart if that old bow gave way on me. I think I could jump out of a tree and bludgeon a deer to death with the Quinn and it would still shoot good.

I will shoot the Quinn exclusivly all summer so we can get to know each other.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
I thought I'd made up my mind until snag asked me about the Bear bow, but now I'm torn again:-).

My hunting bow was going to be a Martin Savannah as I shoot it better than anything else I have, but it doesn't have the nostalgia of an old Bear.  So I will have to decide again!!!

The Bear Grizzly I just got for my birthday shoots well, but is only 45# @ 28-not legally enough for elk, although I do like it.

I have a 1957 Kodiak that hasn't been shot but a couple dozen times since new that I really like and is heavy enough for both elk and deer.  But it really is pristine, and I don't know if I want to drag it around the woods.  

And I have enough Bear Razorheads to make up some hunting arrows, which would be cool.

But I do shoot the Martin better and it does shoot Doug Fir with Zwickeys very well, so I don't know.

And then there is the longbow question.  

Too many choices!!!  It is fun though, trying to decide.  I do know I need to pick one and stick with it or I won't be ready.  

RonP

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Well you've got some time left to let it unfold for you Ron. Shoot 'em and let them speak to you!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
I usually pick a bow to hunt with in early June and shoot it exclusively. Sometime last fall there was a thread asking if a person could buy a bow and not shoot it. I responded that I had bought a new (used) TFIII in July and had not shot it because I had decided to hunt with my old long bow. Immediately, I was labeled a liar. However, I have been shooting all my bows since deer season ended and I may just take up that Black Widow recurve this year. I still have a couple of weeks to decide.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©