3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ashby on light weight bows...  (Read 12969 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Ashby on light weight bows...
« on: May 26, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Im getting real close to getting my arrows tuned...(have form issues to work out first) but i was wondering if anyone could summarize would Dr. Ashby found about light weight bows and arrow set ups.
I shoot a 46@27 bow draw about 27 1/4.

If i can stand the trajectory and speed of a 625 grain arrow with 22% FOC would I get a benefit over a 480g 22% arrow?
Where is the diminishing returns?
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ashby on light weight bows...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
As you suggested, the extra weight of the 625 may have a negative effect on your accuracy... or not.

The heavier of the two would tend to penetrate better, but in my mind, it's all a trade off.

Given the choice, I'd take an accurately shot 480 gr. arrow over a not so accurately shot 625 gr. arrow from your 46# bow.

A compromise might be a good idea. Say around 550 gr. of arrow.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
absolutely what charlie just typed.  

i'd do some shooting comparisons at the near end of yer normal kill distance comfort zone - see how 480, 550, and 625 compare in terms of accurate consistency - given the fact that the heavier arrow will have more flight arc.  a lighter arrow will require less 'gray matter sight' adjustment due to less arc - heavy logs will require more finesse of yer bow hand.

heavy is best, but up to a point .......
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
if you make a good shot you will shoot right through a deer or whatever else you want to kill.
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I agree with the above.I will only add that to know for sure you need to do your test shots in varied distance and terrain.

You can shoot your bag at home but you will adjust after the first shot and put the rest where thay need to go.Even if you shoot one shot from different distance it won't give you as good of an idea of accuracy as a 3D round.

You might also take a small target into the woods and shoot several single shots.A large nerf ball with a judo would work well.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I would definitely use the 480 grn arrow. I shoot a 56# longbow with a 485 grn total arrow wt, it's spined very well & I shoot 200 grn up front. I've shot arrows at 565 grn down to 485 grn out of the same poundage. I see no real benefits to going heavier than needed in real world experience on elk. I've gotten equal amounts of penetration out of the heavier 565gn & the lighter 485grn. The 485 shoots flatter & I've got great head weight for great penetration! Currently my arrows are beman mfx 500 with 75grn insert & 125 heads cut to 27 1/4". This setup will blow through an elk!
    Heavy is good in the right bow & situation, yours in my opinion is going the other way if you choose the 625grn arrow, it's not balanced out as well in your setup!

ElkNut1

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Listen to  Charley Lamb and elknut1....excellent advice.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Fifty years ago a man we all love and respect said 10 gpp was 'about right'. Perhaps with modern materials that has grown to 11 gpp, but most would likely shoot 10-11 best. Stick with a 2 blade (scary sharp of course) that will help a lot.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Well that answers alot. I was just wondering if I could shoot both arrows just as well within my bow range if there would be a big enough benefit with the heavier arrow.

Going with the lighter will be more tolerable outside my bow range( small game and targets) so I'll get these arrows tuned to find my dynamic spine then go shopping for some 35/55 probably
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
There will be a measureable penetration benefit from the heavier arrow, in my opinion.  There is no way around it.  The only question you need to answer is one that only you know the answer to.  "Can you live with the more arched trajectory?"
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Most things are relative, and a 480 grain arrow will take care of any game in North America, so I see using it as win/win.  Hone your accuracy and don't worry about your arrow weight. You're good.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Well for deer I consider an arrow over 500gns a waste of trajectory with any weight bow. 500gns is more than enough arrow weight unless you are going to find a buffaloe somewhere.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
The weight versus speed argument has had me scratching my head for decades. I shoot a longbow now; and getting the 'proper' arrow was and is a task.

When I shot a recurve; which was for a couple decades; I remember the chronographs showing up where you could figure speed; and its been off to the races ever since.

I made a game of asking people if my arrow was good for hunting. I shot 31 inches of 2216 shaft; and I would say 'its a 45 pound bow' and people said 'oh yeah thats a fine arrow'; then with the same bow I would ask another person if the arrow was OK for hunting and say it was a '50 pound bow'; and some would shake their heads and say 'no'; and others yes.

Then I got up to the weight at my draw; about 74 pounds; and not one person said that arrow was OK for hunting.

Now I had killed deer and bear and elk with it; having total penetration in most cases; and having a flat trajectory.

If an arrow shoots perfectly straight out of a 45 pound bow; and out of a 74 pound bow - how can the arrow be not appropriate for the 74 pound bow- but 'great' for the 45?

Then too penetration on animals depends not only on shot placement; but if its a two blade; 3 blade; 4 blade etc. And on being sharp enough.

I guess its all good fun...  but shooting an arrow accurately and straight (no wobbling or porpoising) -well... that works for bowhunting.

I am now kind of chuckling over the nock weighting systems to make the arrow heavier in the nock end.

All good fun I guess    :campfire:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
ha thanks for the post... all in good fun.

My father in law thanks i'm crazy for where my nocking point is and that i shoot cock feather in.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
nightowl, I shoot darn near the same weight and draw as you, and I'd stick with the 480 gr arrow, if I was hunting something big, say elk or moose, then I might go with the heavier arrow, but only if I was sure my shots were going to be under 20 yrds and I'd want them closer to 15...because you will see a big difference in trajectory between those two weights.

larry

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I do not buy into the 625 grain arrow will out penetrate a 480 grain arrow shot out of any bow where the arrow will spine/tune to that particular draw weight bow, it's simply not so & can really confuse honest hearted ones trying to make correct decisions for their particular setups! I've done these tests for myself in the past & is why I shoot what I do.

Just in case I was incorrect I put together a 2018 with a 200 grain tip & it weighed in at 617grains, I then took my MFX Beman with 200 grains up front at 485 grains & shot them at a distance of 15 yds-- 20yds-- 28yds. I shot both arrows 4 times at each distance into a tightly stacked foam target. I know this isn't rocket science but good enough for this elk hunter! (grin)  At each of these distances the 485 grn arrow out penetrated the heavier arrow aprox 3" on all 12 shots, not at any shot did the heavier arrow ever equal the "lighter" arrow. These are hunting distances most of us fall into.
   Incidentally my "point on" is 30yds with the 485 grn arrow so just for fun I took both arrows & shot them several times. The 617grn arrow dropped between 12"-13" on every shot at that distance.

As I had mentioned previously I will take real world experience over "theory" anyday! With the 485 grn arrow I've killed 2 bull elk, a 5-point & a 6-point, on the 6 point the arrow was sticking out the other side of the animal, both shots were with a 125grn SnufferSS. The 2nd arrow buried to the fletches on a quartering away shot at 26yds into the off shoulder! I would without question choose this same arrow wt. on moose over the heavier arrow. I would consider a much heavier arrow but in a balanced fashion if I were creeping in on the 65# range.
  For a 47# bow a 625grn is a huge overkill & will drop like a rock after 20yds. Just my .02

ElkNut1

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
i dont really get into the ashby stuff.  i shot compounds since i was 7 and always shot very light arrows and the blew through everything and stuck 4 inches into the ground on the other side i think it was just a scheme for money because now everyone is trying to duplicate the ashby specs i had grizzlies and the were alright but they didnt out pentrate any better than any other broadheads i even shot them out of my compound and the arrow was 459 grains and my other was 369 and it was 3 inches deeper in the target i dunno lighter arrows will kill
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline STICKDP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
I thought I was Out of my mined but I have had the same results as Elknut and i have never been able to get the real heavy arrows to fly as good. the lighter arrows seem to straighten out faster for me. I shot a 5x5 bull last year with a 480 gr.arrow with a 4 blade stinger almost a pass through 54# shawnee dakota.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Quite bow, Sharp broadhead, and a Patient, and Accurate shot......SUCCESS. Knowing your equipment, abilities, and quarry, means a bunch!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
thanks for all the info guys i was just curious... and trying to get my setup the most efficient i can.. I love this bow and will be taking it all over north america.

Sold all of my other bows and plan on just using this one... so once i get my equipment figured out i just want to stock up and enjoy.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©