3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Afraid I made a terrible mistake  (Read 1746 times)

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Afraid I made a terrible mistake
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
I got my new longbow this wednesday - a T-Hawk Diamond 'SS'. Yesterday, after a shooting session, I took a slightly moist ragcloth (and I litterally mean slightly moist, not wet), and gently cleaned the bow limbs.

And then... I noticed that the bamboo on the back started looking darker. The yew on the belly didn't change color at all. My first thought was: "Oh hell no, don't tell me that I ruined the wood now?" - so my question is... did I? I mean, the wood is covered with fiberglass laminations, so how is it even possible?

Note that I quickly grabbed a dry ragcloth to fix any possible damage, and then waxed the limbs afterwards.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Afraid I made a terrible mistake
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
You should be able to drown the bow all day in the pouring rain, trip into a beaver pond on your way back from hunting, forget you left it in the bed of the truck on your way home, get home wipe it off and it should be as good as the day you got it.  If not something was wrong with it, send it back and get a new one from them.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Even a wipe down with a wet cloth should not have had any effect on the bow.  I have had bows out in pouring rainstorms and came home and wiped them down and put them on the rack to dry with no ill effects.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
Well, it performed quite alright today. Still looks to me like the limbs are darker than usual at some places. Even looks like it has a few brown spots. I fear the worst...
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Any change in color or spotting is the results of a poor finish. The finish is meant to protect the wood from the elements. I'd be talking to someone!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Give Three Rivers a call and let them know I'm sure they will be happy to help.  I'm also in the camp that you can shower with good bow and still be able to shoot it without a worry.  Many are the day I have sat in the rain with mine and no problem.

Allan

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Just mailed Shawn from 3 Rivers. Awaiting a reply.

I really, really hope that there's nothing wrong  :(

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
The THawks are bullet proof-could there have been some fine dust on the bow perhaps? I have had bows accumulate some wierd stuff from the machinery in shipping no matter how well packed.
Not only is there the finish for protection but a layer of glass over any wood, and then finish on top of that.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
It also seems like a very solid bow to me. I really don't understand. It could also be the wax that I put on afterwards, but that would be weird, since the wax is made for wood and leather.

Dust on the bow? When I recieved it, you mean?

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Andreas,
There is no way that you could have harmed the bow with a damp rag.  Bjorn is exacly right that the glass over the wood is layer of protection, besides the finish.  I could see that wiping it down would change the appearance but its not going to penetrate.  I've also hunted for days in the rain and have yet to ruin a bow.  I think your good there.  Now 100% deet will put a hurt on your bow finish.  I've ruined the finish on a couple with deet  :knothead:   Don't try that one! dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
DEET? You mean, insect-repellant?   :biglaugh:

I could imagine the bow not liking that!

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
I hate when bugs bite my bow.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Nothing a little spray paint won't take care of.  :D  

Really there is no way you did anything to hurt the bow or make changes in color.Maybe you were so excited you never got a good look at the bow untill you washed it. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
"Maybe you were so excited you never got a good look at the bow untill you washed it."

It may be so James, it may be so. It still performs, so I might just be imagining this. But I still find the color of the tonkin cane bamboo weird.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
My Tomahawk SS has been in several rainstorms    :rolleyes:    It has never shown any change. The Bamboo has some streaks in it though. Not from the moisture, it's just the color of the bamboo.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Bretto: Unable to see pictures  :(

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Ya I had to delete them I couldn't get them to work. When My Daughter gets home I'll try and add them back. Sorry, I'm still a little slow on Computer stuff.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
That's alright. Just glad you're taking the time to comfort my soul  :)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Tonkin cane can have streaks and blotches in it, it is natural. Do not worry about it. Your bow is fine.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Truly? Is it natural? You saved my day   :pray:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©