3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Afraid I made a terrible mistake  (Read 1747 times)

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Afraid I made a terrible mistake
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
I would put it on the bow rack and let it set for a spell then while you are waiting order 2, 3 or 4 more bows just to have on hand that you can compare it to for color change. Least that's what I'd tell my wife if it was me...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I would make sure I talk to 3 rivers.  If the finish is delaminating you will get bubbles underneath and it will look like it has different coloration.  I don't want to panic you but when resin separates it kinda looks like what you describe.  If you push on the spots do they get bigger?
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
It's not spots, just change in color, and then the wood browned a few places.

I wouldn't be worrying if it the wood was just darkening, but it really doesn't look too good.

Shawn from 3 Rivers just responded and told me that I shouldn't be using any harsh chemicals with solvents. But the wax I used contains solvent. I still don't see how this can be an issue, when the wax is made for protectimg wood and leather.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
It's not spots, just change in color, and then the wood browned a few places.

I wouldn't be worrying if the wood was just darkening, but it really doesn't look too good.

Shawn from 3 Rivers just responded and told me that I shouldn't be using any harsh chemicals with solvents. But the wax I used contains solvent. I still don't see how this can be an issue, when the wax is made for protectimg wood and leather.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
Silly doublepost.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
bottom line,if i had just purchased a new bow,and things had happened as you described,i would contact customer service were it came from,tell them i was unhappy,send it back and get another or a refund.you will never be satisfied with it,and always wonder about what is going on with the finish,lams,ect.in passing,i purshased a ilf bow with an aluminum film dipped riser,had some discoloration after glueing on a strikeplate nad rug rest,mentioned it while making a different order,they insisted on sending me another riser,even when i told them it was no big worry to me,as it was camo colored anyway.point is,thats what the warranty is for.regards,robert  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
True, twotimer...

But I also think consumers should be responsible for their own actions.  No offense...but I think I'd ask before I put ANYTHING on my bow (especially a compound containing a solvent).

If it were me.....I'd call them and tell them exactly what I did.....and ask them for their recommendation.  Might need to be sanded and re-sprayed.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
I quote Shawn from 3 Rivers Archery:

"You have to understand that the wood for the limbs is sealed between two
psc's of fiber glass and then 3 coats of clear on top of that. What you
are doing is smearing or even taking off the clear coat on the bow by
using the mineral spirits and turpentine. You can not use the wax and
turpentine on that kind of bow to clean it. Use only soap and water or a
furniture polish to clean the  bow. If you continue to use  the products
that you are using you will ruin the clear coat."

:(

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
WOW! Mineral spirits? Turpentine? Thats bad ju-ju...

You better do as Shawn says and stop doin' that cause your cutting the finish off

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
In an effort to get your mind away from what it sounds like you did, the bow isn't ruined. The 3 coat finish, whatever it is, is probably less than 8-10 mils. thick total. Not much there. Its really a 'finish coat' and probably a satin which is between gloss and flat. The fiber glass itself is the protection for the veneers and core of the bow. You'd have to get some pretty tough chemicals to eat the glass and resins. Mineral spirts or turpentine ain't going to cut it!

Shoot the bow and enjoy it. In the mean time start boning up on how to put a fresh finish coat back on your bow, its really simple to do. Ask Shawn what the top coat is that was put on your bow from the bowyer, very lite finish sanding with maybe 600 grit to give the next coat something to bite to and spray another coat over what this there. It will even everything back to the uniform look you originaly had I'm sure.

Rusty

p.s. Practice on scrap first  ;)
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Pack the bow up and send it back and let them take a look at it. I dont know anybody involved in trad archery that wouldnt go out of there way to help you and i bet there no different.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
Tater John: Thank you for all the info! I was very afraid that the wood and fiberglass had taken irreversible damage. Very happy to hear, that this can all be fixed. You soothened my troubled heart   :archer:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I'm confused.  The first post mentioned changing colors after using a damp rag.  Now it appears you are using some sort of compound that contains solvents and / or turpentine.  Lol - what the heck?

For those that recommend returning the bow - how on earth is that a 3Rivers problem?  If someone buys a car and decides to clean it with a belt sander, is that the fault of the auto dealer?  If you buy a steak and burn it while grilling, is that the fault of the butcher?

I'm with one of the previous posters - I'd stop coating the bow with stuff it obviously doesn't like and try to enjoy shooting it.  Heck, perhaps the altered (and apparently somewhat mottled) appearance will help camouflage you and your weapon.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
I wiped it off with a moist rag. It turned dark, even when I wiped the moist off again. Silly as I was, I feared that I had done something that I shouldn't have. So I did something that I definetely NOT should have done. Waxed it with a furniture wax, which happened to contain solvents and turpentine. Two things that I didn't know would harm the bow. After all, it was furniture wax. But I'm smarter now.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Well I don't know what kind of finish they use but it must not be fullerplast.None of that stuff will touch an epoxy finish.Sounds like soft laquer or poly to me.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
I wouldn't know either James. I'll ask though.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
The fiberglass is on the front and back of the limbs.  Moisture can still be absorbed on the sides of the limbs if the finish is missing.  It seems to me that it would take a considerable amount of wetness to do that - like a deliberate soaking.  

I'm sure that you in no way harmed the fiberglass on front and back.  You might have damaged the finish but that's hard to tell without seeing.  Any real damage from water would have to be absorbed from the sides of the limbs.  Don't look for just darkening (that's subjective and you're looking at the bow with a more critical eye now than you did before) but also look for signs of delamination which could be bubbles or light colored spots that appear between the clear glass and the bamboo.  Make sure any dark "spots" are not just color variations in the bamboo but are truly inconsistent with the rest of the limbs composition.

These bows are not that sensitive.  They can take quite a bit of hard use including exposure.  Unless there is a manufacturer defect you'd almost have to try to cause the type of damage we're discussing.  

In the end, if it bothers you pack it up and send it back for their inspection.  It would be worth the cost of shipping to have a legitimate eye of inspection.  You probably won't be happy until you do.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jedimaster:

In the end, if it bothers you pack it up and send it back for their inspection.  It would be worth the cost of shipping to have a legitimate eye of inspection.  You probably won't be happy until you do.
Good advice.
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Was it water or something else that you used on it?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Jedimaster: That's just not as simple as it may sound. I live in Denmark. That's across the Atlantic. But I will definetely look for bubbles or light colored spots  :)

Stone Knife: Not exactly. I moisted it with a rag, and immediately thought that it was a bad move. So I waxed it, and later found out that the wax hurt the finish.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©