3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Afraid I made a terrible mistake  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Jake Allen

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Afraid I made a terrible mistake
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Something's fishy here, furniture polish?
The clear finish on that high dollar bow has got
to be polyurethane at least, epoxy at best, and
mineral spirits, turpentine or even lacquer thinner should do no harm to either.
If I had any doubts at all, I would package and return the bow, and the let 3R make a decision.
TGMM Family of the Bow
NGT, TBG, SGTP & Compton's
Ye Olde Fartes & Sore Losers

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Well, as far as I know now after hearing the responses in this thread, I'm pretty sure (not entirely though), that I only smeared the finish, which would explain the brown "rash" on the fiberglass. I tried to remove it with 93% ethanol today - as Shawn suggested - but with no luck.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I have used a small amount of acetone to wipe off the sticky stuff left after I remove a rest. I have done this to alot of different bows, encluding 3 Tomahawks I have owned. I have never had a problem with it effecting the finish. That being said, it would take alot to harm the finish on most of the bows being made today. Water or furniture polish should have no effect on the finish........

Send it back to 3R for peace on mind....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Sending it back will not be an option. But I understand that you think this is the best solution.

If only the finish is smeared (which it seems like, since solvents and turpentine shouldn't be able to harm either the fiberglass or the wood), I should be able to correct it. I just don't exactly know how  :(
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Andreas

Do you have any other bows and why cant you send it back and let them take a look at it.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
I have no other bows of the same quality. The main reason I can't and won't send it back, is that I would have to wait for months before I'd recieve it again. The second reason is, that UPS charged me 200 dollars for their fastest shipping (which I thought was only 40 dollars), and I both can't and won't pay more money for shipping.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
If you are pretty sure that the bow is not damaged i wouldnt sweat it to much. I bought my first bow two months ago and scratched the s*** out of the tip. It almost killed me when i did it but there are worst things that could happen.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
There's a difference between scratching the tip and dissolving the finish  :D  - but I get your point!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
I was trying to put your mind at ease but yea you are right there is a big difference. Is there anybody around there close that could take a look at it.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
None that I know of, unfortunately. Google is my friend though.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
What was the brand of wax you used that had solvents in it? I'd just like to know what it was. I would quess it would be for use on hardwood floors to clean and put a wax finish on in one application.

Shawn give you any idea what the finish was? I find it hard to believe the finish reacted the way it did from mineral spirits or turpentine, their not hot solvents. But thats OK, Im not challenging ya...

By the way, we're alot friendlier then 'google'  :campfire:  

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
The wax is made for protecting mainly oak and pinewood. That may be why...

Haven't asked him yet, actually. I still hope the damage is only cosmetic. Looks like it though, with that brown smearing on the limbs. Hopefully it haven't affected the bow itself, and lowered it's shooting abilities  :(

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
andreas,to correct it your self,the easiest way would be to sand the finish down by hand.if i was doing it,i would start with,120,or ,240 grit sandpaper,and sand the finish off by hand.after i was satisfied that everthing was down to bare wood on riser and sides of limbs,i would use tru-oil for a new finish.apply a coat evenly using fingers to spread smothly and evenly,let dry,takes about 4/6 hours,sand lightly,repeat 6/7 more times,after the last coat is applyed buff it out with 0000 steel wool. i use tru-oil for the finish on the bows i build,and have used it on aprox.50 bows with no problems.i have also used thunderbird,its an excellent finish,but imo,the tru-oil is as good and not near as expensive.regards,robert.ps,if you don't have acess to tru-oil and want to try that route i will gladly send you a bottle.regards,robert  :thumbsup:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I have had my Thawk in the snow and sleet, rain and thunder, etc... the things are built to last a lifetime.  You should be fine with it.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Robert: Thank you for the advice  :archer:

I think that Tru Oil should be available here in Denmark. If not, I will tap you on the shoulder  :)

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
anytime my friend,regards,robert.ps,as stated above,it takes some harsh solvents to cut the finish on custom bows,i'v owned a "LOT" of bows,and used acetone to clean off glue that i have used on arrow rest's,strike plates,,and to clean off string wax residue,and i have never mared a finish.i truly hope it works out to your satisfaction.robert  :wavey:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
I wonder if the brown smear isn't color thats in the wax? Try some acetone on the area with the brown smear using a white cotton rag and see if the brown doesn't lift. If the finish was being disolved from you earlier applications of wax, the bow limbs should have become sticky. Denatured alcohol would be another good cleaning solvent thats no way going to touch the finish. If it did the finish was wrong in the first place and I doubt thats the case.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Acetone sounds like a good idea. Wonder if I have any...

By the way, the fiberglass layer on the lower bow limb (where the brown smear is worst), looks slightly thinner than the other fiberglass layers. I have no idea though, if this was already the case before I waxed the bow, so... just seems strange. Can it be cause of the dissolved coating?

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
The lower bow limb on the back of the bow - the bamboo side - that is  :)

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Get a cotton ball or corner of a rag wet with something from around the house, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid(naptha) don't use gasoline and try to remove the brown in a small spot about the size of a dime. Might as well do a test spot and get it over with. If the finish is compromised(I thinking its not) then your going to want to refinish some day anyhow. I don't know a thing about glass thickness and won't comment on that, other than its probably right.

Rusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©