3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lightest strap-on stands?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Lightest strap-on stands?
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
I'm looking for a light weight strap on tree stand.  I don't want one of the tiny 24" platforms, or one with a 30" platform, since I already have two API baby grands, which I love. I need something smaller and lighter to pack with mini climbing sticks. I don't want to spend the money for a Lone wolf assault. I've been looking at the Loc-on Limit, which is 17" X 26" and eight pounds. Are there any others that compare?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lightest strap-on stands?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
I don't think you will find a smaller one than the Loc-On...those things are TINY!  Chippewa has a little one called the Ghost, but they are more than the Lone Wolf.  I got an Assault last year and find it as good or better than my standard Alpha in every way; I'd save a little more for the Assault if it were my choice.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
I love my Tree Saddle.  No platform, but it is plenty comfy.  Takes some getting used to but it is light as you can go and dead silent.  Helps if you are in shape.  Shorter bows help with movement but have seen longbow shooters use it.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
I'll be shooting my straight longbows from it.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
My friend like the tree saddle as well.i have not used it.I do like my lock on spirit though.All aluminum.Light quite and solid.I think its called the spirit model?anyway with 3 sticks and some bungie cords I get it all secured tightly and am ready to pack in pretty far lightly and quietly.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Millennium.

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
the qorilla silverback mag.its a lot of stand with about 12 lbs of carrying weight.its got a leveling system too thats good.the padded seat is thick and you can sit for hours.around 120.00 and to me thats a good deal.i've got the hang on lone wolf assault and the gorilla beats it in my opinion for comfort.
see

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Apex, Loc-On used to make a stand called the Wind Walker or something close any how. My buddy used to have one. If I remember right it only weighed like 6 1/2 lbs. I think it was marketed under Dick Idol's name.

Terry My buddy is 5"7 and at that time 165 lbs. I remember when He sat on this stand from the balls of his feet forward hung off the edge!!!!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm a good bit bigger than he is!  I don't want a platform any less than 26" deep.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
My opinion...I probably weigh 230 lbs. in my hunting clothes. I just sold my Loc on Limit and bought a Lone wolf Assault. The limit is very light but not near as stable or sturdy feeling, especially at my weight as the Assault. I've tree stand hunted for over 20 years so I'm not new to this. I'm not sure how much you weigh? My 2 cents...

Kyle

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Check Loggy Bayou they made a lite version out of aluminum which I have and it is extremely light @ around 7lbs. - but it has 2 rachet straps and once properly attached you can dance on the thing and it doesn't budge at all . The top strap is detached from the stand and  after you attach that to the tree off a ladder or steps which is convienent - then you pull up the stand itself and hook it to that and then attach the bottom strap -very easy .
Paul

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
I got a gorilla silverback. 27 in. platform. all aluminum. 10 lbs. It's a good stand for the money, if they still make that model.Don't use mine much, its a little small for me.
I don't have a problem.  I can quit deer hunting anytime I want.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Its going to be really tough with the platform dimensions you want.

The two other than a LW that come to mind are from Gorilla (one of their Elite series with the net seat) and an old Loggy Bayou Pro Series hangon - I don't know if they even make it anymore.

Another option would be Muddy - in fact if I had to get another light hang on, it would be a Muddy - it's almost a perfect copy of the LB Pro hangon for less money.  

That said, hang ons should be a set and forget item, if you're planning on same day hunting and mobility, I LOVE my TreeSaddle.  It does take some getting used to and practice, but they work great.  I missed the largest buck I'd ever seen out of one - my fault, nerves got the best of me.

:knothead:    :thumbsup:
Support the sport!

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Screaming Eagle "Eaglet".....19 1/2 X 19 3/4.....11 lbs.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
I have an older version Loc-on, what they call the MagIIIP now. One of my favorite stands, easy and secure, absolutely quiet, what more can you ask. I am 6' 3" and 235 lbs. it still has enough room.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I have an older version Loc-on, what they call the MagIIIP now. One of my favorite stands, easy and secure, absolutely quiet, what more can you ask. I am 6' 3" and 235 lbs. it still has enough room.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
Too bad you are set on the bigger platform size.  I use Windwalkers alot (6-7 lbs) - sold by Bisongear Pack guys now - and really like them.  I'm around 220lb and feel very secure in the stand.  That said I hunt in the Midwest mostly and nearly always hang in trees with limbs.  If you were on telephone-pole trees it might be a little coony in the small stand.  I've killed several good bucks out of hang-and-sit hunts with Windwalkers.  They are light, quiet, easy to hang, and comfortable enough.  There are always compromises.  Even spent 12h in one over a waterhole in Montana hunting antelope once.....only once!

R

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
The windwalkers are the lightest metal stand going and rated for 250lbs I believe (6.5lbs). Angelo at Bison Gear sells them. Strongest and lightest would be Lone Wolf Assult - no better stand for $$$. However if your packin in and going distance nothing nicer to pack than the Windwalker. Angelo makes a fantastic pack that the stand fits inside of as well. Same pack will also fit my assult but its noticably heavier and bulkier with assult in it.
hunt it

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Been using this setup for the last 15+ years. LOC-ON Limit and an old LOC-ON packpack that's made for the stand. Strap my climbing sticks on the back of it and stuff the pack with everything I need to spend the entire day in the tree, 1/2 dozen rope on steps, climbing gear, safety harnesses, haul lines, saw and pruners and other "needfull" things. Spent too many days to count in trees from "dark till dark" with this setup. A little small for some but you have to give up a little if you want light and portable. Just threw it on the scale fully loaded and it comes in just under 25#. I'm 6'1" and go 220 and I never felt it was too small for me. It's been the downfall of many critters when you don't have an option to leave a stand up for more than a day.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Gorilla has some strap on steps that are nice and their stands are comfy. I have a Loggy and I can't get the squeak out of it. I have found for a couple extra pounds a bigger stand is easier to sit in for long periods of time. I use a strap form a golf bag and it works great for packing in tree stands.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©