3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: snakeskin - help with problem  (Read 787 times)

Offline rrh47

• Trad Bowhunter
snakeskin - help with problem
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
I put snakeskins on my recurve, they look great.  After skins had dried, I put a couple coats of superglue on them to seal before the poly finish.  While waiting on the weather to cooperate for the poly finish, I decided to shoot the bow.  First shot of the bow and the finsh ,superglue, cracked with horizontal cracks all across the working portion of the limbs, 8-10 inches or so.  You cannot feel these cracks, they are just visable and don't help the looks either.  Is it a one time thing or will they get worse?  Did I use too much superglue?  I applied 2 coats and sanded well in between, down until the limbs were smooth and I begin to get into the color of the skins.  This is my first attempt, I got the superglue idea from the resource forum.  I have built many selfbows and backed bows with no trouble at all with my finish.  I guess I   :confused:   should have known that CA glue is like glass and has no strecth or tension properties.  What is the best thing to do?  Thanks.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: snakeskin - help with problem
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Perhaps you can get rid of the superglue by wiping then down with acetone soaked papertoweling. Superglue has a lot of uses but I don't think snakeskin smoothing should be  amongst them. To hold down the scale cuticles wipe down with TiteBond III that is cut with water. TB III is waterproof and flexible. Works like a charm.

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Never should have used the super glue.  I have posted my snake skin application instructions on here many times and they should still be in my web site.  www.paulbrunner.net

Put the skins on wet with Elmer's Carpenter's glue.  Then, when totally dry, use FLECTO VARATHANE for your finish...NO SUPERGLUE!  You'll probably have to start all over again.  

I have backed probably 400 bows this way and never had a problem.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline rrh47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Thanks Tree man for the help.  Paul, I appreciate you taking time to reply.  I checked your website, I will be starting over, lesson learned.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
I am no expert but I have heard of many people using superglue to fill in the scale pattern and make the skins smooth. And I have never heard of it being a problem.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline bullofthewoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
i'm getting ready to skin some limbs and would like to hear more opinions too. soooo...ttt

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
On my last snakeskin job I brushed on a thin coat of superglue, lightly sanded the skins, and followed up with a couple coats of satin spar urathane. Looked pretty good.

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
I've used Barge cement followed by thin superglue followed by ThunderBird. I've done this on 6 bows with glass or carbon limbs....no problems. Sounds like either to thick..to much..or perhaps the glue used was old. CA has a shelf life depending on storage conditions.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline rrh47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Could be I used too much, thinking I did.  I don't beleive I will use it on my next attempt.  Seems like I should be able to get the same results with my normal poly finish anyway, just might have to use a few more coats.  Thanks for the help and opinions.

Offline The Talon3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
I used gel contact cement to glue mine down. Easy no mess. Lightly sanded bow cleaned up with acetone applied contact cement to both surfaces let it dry good then roll up the snake skin square it up and roll the skin on slowly then trim with razor simple to do.

Offline The Talon3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©