3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Woodsman Bhs  (Read 8495 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Woodsman Bhs
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
woodsmans are my favorite heads.  But the last two packages I bought had blades that were curved.  By this I mean they would not sit flat on a file and were difficult to sharpen.  Hopefully the new ones will be good.  I mean nothing negative about them.  Still my favorite head, but I can't use the last to packages I bought.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
What Katman said. Think I'll wait.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
Agree as others said  -  do away with the vents and let the weight fall where it may.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
They say iut is a 1" cut diameter? if this is so how much was the old one? I thought they said it was a one inch cut diameter.

Just curious as it doesn't have the diameter of the originals.

Still looks ot be a great head

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I hope I didn't come across as negative on the new BH....I just was surprised that it was smaller. It's a great BH, and one I WILL use! Well once I use up the 20 or so WW I have now....

Thanks for putting up the pics.  I've had such great success with the original heads, I'm dissappointed to see even a slight width change, especially to smaller.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
JDog....the specs of both heads are on this thread a page or 2 back.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Guys,
This head is Machined from one inch bar stock. The diameter is one inch. You are not going to get a one inch measurement measuring across two adjacent blades, but the hole it cuts is one inch. The old Woodsman head starts out larger tahn one inch, but by the time you get it filed down to where the blades all clean up then it is closer to one inch.

Boomer

Offline Elksong@WORK2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I'm just curious, What will the MINUTE size difference make? What could you NOT kill due to the fact that this head is one tenth smaller than the old one? I looks stronger, straighter and more "arrow" dynamic.  I would rather shoot a head like this, that will shoot straight and penetrate deep.  7/8" or 1 1/4" thought the lungs still equals a dead animal. Plus the narrow head has a better chance of shooting completely thru the animal. I believe that depth of the wound channel on alot of shots is more important than width. Of course I have only killed about 2 dozen bull elk with a bow and arrow.
 If you look at the Grizzly heads they are not that wide after you grind and sharpen them, just over an inch, and they have one less blade!

Any way enough of my ranting, I really like the head!  :goldtooth:

Offline goosespirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Amen elksong, I agree totally.  I love my snuffers for whitetails, but jsut got 3 packs of these in the mail for Montana Elk in September.  The tiny difference will not make any difference at all

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
The difference is so small?? look at Ashby's extremely modified grizzly? I cannot remember but I know it cannot be an inch wide.

Never killed an elk before just WTs, hogs, but this difference is miniscule at best. I like big cutting diameters dont get me wrong and I hope they make some variety as stated but elksong makes a good point.

I'll have my hands on some here shortly though I cannot give any better pics then Guru and Terry. Their measurements and all are helpful.

each his own I reckon,

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Course think if it this way - a new spin - they have the same 125 grains in a more compact size -plus they raised the hardness level to 50.

Little jobber is built like a tank!

LOL

J
Always be stubborn.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »
For us its a legal issue. 7/8" minimum. I know they're 1" cut dia. etc. etc. And I agree that will kill stuff. But I only need one anal fish cop to check me for his version of legal and there goes my season. Mind you that has only happened once in 21 yrs. hunting up here (and he cut his thumb   :D ). Besides as stated more weight is better, for my set-up. My 2 cents.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
I with you on this elksong.  For my elk heads, these look great.  look forward to it this year.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Yep it's all about penetration. In one side and out the other.  :D  

Boomer

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
So is this head under the 7/8" min diameter or width required for Colorado? They look like a dandy 3 blade head for elk.

Offline 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
On a 3-blade mic they measure out at .995". You draw a 1" circle on a paper or cardboard and it will cut it.

As the Colorado regs below state "outside diameter." That is the same as cutting diameter, so they will be legal in states requiring the 7/8" minimum.

Colorado regs state:
"Handheld bows, including compound bows, using arrows equipped with a broadhead with an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8ths of an inch with no less than two steel cutting edges."

On page #3 in the print book, or page #5 of the PDF in this link:
 http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/6E977561-C613-466D-BCFC-2CA9C9C91CD9/0/Ch02.pdf
I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
They state it is a 1" diameter, it is a 1 inch diameter, it hits the 1" mark it is legal. We have the same 7/8" law here in NC.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Things get hard to understand with regulations.

Offline 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
I tried attaching the image of several heads pulled from 2 different cinder blocks. As you can see, the tips do break off. Not saying the broadheads are indestructible, just really strong. Got great penetration, as I needed the pliers to get them out. Not an easy task.

Johnathan Karch
3Rivers Archery

I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
The thing that sucks is that MOST Wildlife Officers have little to no understanding of archery and the related equip. I am going to take a broadhead down to the local office and see what they say this -"broadhead with an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8ths of an inch" means to them.
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©