3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Woodsman Bhs  (Read 8494 times)

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Woodsman Bhs
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I got mine today and they are impressive. They are the screw in. Remember, a one inch hole is vey big when it has a pump behind it, that being the heart. Think about a radiator hose and how much it sprays with just a pinhole in it. Granted more pressure, but a mute point in my opinion.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
The above in regard to the posts about a small hole, not game laws.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
For anyone who doubts the legality of the 7/8" limit, the best way to prove it is to drill a 7/8" hole. I think you will find it won't drop through, which means it is perfectly legal.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
Gene,

Nice to see someone apply perfect hands-on logic to resolve the question. Anyone ever tell you that you're fairly smart?  =^)

Kevin Dill

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
Easy Kevin - don't get his head any bigger than it already is!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Elksong, of course the new style will kill just as dead, as well as being a tougher head. I was expressing my wish for a wider cutting diameter and heavier head with this style for whitetails. Here in the low country of South Caroline we hunt in and around a lot of swamps so getting complete penetration and lots of spore on the ground helps. For larger game like Elk I would certainly prefer the slightly narrower head to maximize my penetration but our whitetails here rarely get to 200 lbs.  I still think its a great head and design improvement just would like a little larger cutting diameter for my application.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Guys, just returned from Alberta with two bears killed with original Woodsmen.  First one, the head BROKE the offside upper leg bone, just shattered it.  Second one was your clean pass through.  

The other guy in camp was a state-of-the-art guy, really a great partner to hunt with who owns an archery shop and therefore has basically the whole gamut to choose from with equipment.  He killed two bears, both broadside double-lungers but not a clean pass-through in either case.  His broadhead, the Rage-2, in both case lost BOTH of its blades despite not hitting anything hard.  My new friend was, to say the least, dismayed at the broadhead's performance.  His pinpoint accuracy saved the day, and I'll bet he's using a different broadhead in the fall.  He was quizzing me a lot and looking over my Woodsmans.  In both cases, I just resharpened the head in less than 5 minutes and they were good to go again, and again, and again...
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline David Alford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
They wouldn't plane if your arrows are spined right. I have the 300 Extreme bhs and they have a very close profile to a nonvented Woodsman and fly like darts.

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
I would keep the vents and increase the size to 1 1/16". this makes it longer but not by too much.  It would add the extra weight alot of guys want.

I'm an old aircraft mechanic.....I believe that Any mis-alignment of a non vented broadhead or deviation from your form that results in a de tunned set up means bad arrow flight.  

Let the air pass through the head.  The bow sound gets to the animal before the hiss.
LPM

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
LPM, its not the noise but the increased drag thru tissue the vented head yields is why I would prefer non vented, not to mention the increased strength of the blade. I have read posts of the 300 extreme flying well, but the extra foc may aid this.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©