3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Woodsman Bhs  (Read 8498 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Woodsman Bhs
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
160 Snuffer, WW, and the new Woodsman.....

reverse order....

Old and new.....

New and old....

Front to back....new Woodsman, WW, and 160 Snuffer....

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Looks like you posted as I was bud....all bh's in my pix are brand new,never sharpened yet....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Yeah...good combo mix between us....I knew you were gonna post a few like you did...so I just posted a couple.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Well, after looking at the pictures, I am really disappointed in the size of the Elites. I'd like to see them made to the same dimensions as the original and let the weight take care of itself. Almost all of us add point weight anyway, so the 125 grains means nothing. With these, it looks like we lose the 3:1 ratio and the cutting diameter of the original. I'd also like to see them leave the point alone. I like the needle point. If others don't, a file will fix that in a few strokes, but I can't put the needle back on once it's gone.

As far as hissing, I've never noticed it with the originals, so if these are the same    :thumbsup:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
yip thats a real pity they are smaller! Dam
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Looks like an absolutely fabulous BH!  A little smaller than the original, but the ratios work out the same according to Rob's measurements - still 3 to 1.  The difference is likely in the material used and the venting, so the head had to be slightly smaller to come out on weight.  The venting IMO is a big improvement - it will strengthen the blades considerably.  Any WW's that I've managed to damage have taken a bend in the blade above the vent.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Guys,
I have a hand full of pototypes here ground and unground and these are the sizes from the micrometer.  Measurements are tip to tip along the cutting edge of the blade and then accross two blades tip to tip at the very back.

Unsharpended Factory Woodsman as in the package:
L = 2.6195
W = .9480

Sharpened Woodsman w/ a pyramid tip like the elite:
L = 2.5055
W = .8865

Note the  width loss in material getting the blades sharpened. Length loss is mostly due to the pyramid tip to compare apple to apples.

Elite Prototype Needle tip non-sharpened:
L = 2.4650
W = .8655

Factory Elite Sharpened as they would be in the package w/pyramid tip:
L = 2.3805
W = .8525

Yes they are slighly smaller.  Most is due to the restraints of steel and blade thickness coupled with the design and weight determined the size.  If made the exact length and width of an Original Woodsman they would be heavier.  Yes there are plans for larger and heavier heads.  That is down the road at the moment but it is being worked on.  Don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet  ;)  You can always email suggestions to [email protected] so they can be compiled and evaluated. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by southpawshooter:
The venting IMO is a big improvement - it will strengthen the blades considerably.  Any WW's that I've managed to damage have taken a bend in the blade above the vent.
Absolutely Southpaw, forgot to point that out too.  I'm the same way.  Every time I bent one it was right there in the blade.  The support in the vent was meant to stregthen that point.  The ferrule is considerably beefier too.  Not going to dent one out of round. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Dino...I have some carbon collars that I haven't played with yet....how about expaining how these things work exactly.

Good stuff here...thanks for your input!  :thumbsup:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Never mind Dino....I found it.

"Re-enforce your Traditional Only® and Arrow Dynamics carbon arrows with these carbon collar aluminum footings. Installed behind the insert (before mounting inserts), these strengthen your Traditional Only® and Arrow Dynamics carbon arrows to help protect from shattering when hitting a hard surface. Note: Can also be used on parallel shafts to re-enforce the nock end."

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
A tad smaller or not, these look like great heads.   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »

Hey Terry, here is a pic of them in action.  60 lb longbow at close quarters with an Ash tree.  The "blossumed shaft" took one shot, the other arrow I shot repeatedly at the tree.  Everybody testing them has been having a blast torturing them trying to destroy the collar or the shaft.  These even performed better than footing with aluminum shaft cut offs in our testing.  The collars could take more repeated hits without failure which really suprised me.  dino

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Dino,

Do the new heads hiss like the old ones?  I know some people don't have that problem but both my father and I can't get the 125 grain precision grind models to stop hissing.  Our bows are perfectly tuned shooting bullet holes through paper with bare shafts and I aligned the blades with the fletch.  Any other suggestions to get them to stop hissing?
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
ICA, are you sure it's the WW that's hissing? I've had feathers hiss, especially when they are new, but I sure can't hear anything coming from my WW or Snuffers. Neither can the deer apparently    ;)
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Although I didn't inquire about hissing...Johnathan did inform me that was address as he was giving me all the lowdown on the new Elites.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
The more twist you put on your feathers the more noise you get from vented heads.Smaller feathers fletch offset instead of helical helps a lot.Knocking any sharp edges off the vent holes helps a lot as well.I have never had the noise bother anything I have shot with heads that hissed however anyway.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
I promise its the head...I have stood down range on the riser side of my dads bow 15 yards perpendicular to the target and could hear the Woodsman the whole way...sounded very hissy to me.  I switched the head to a Magnus two-blade and the hiss stopped and all I could hear was the very faint noise of the feathers.  

Terry, thanks for the info on the new head.

James...thanks for the advice I will try that.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
ICA,
I'm not totally sure what the hissing is that some report to hear.  Not saying that it doesn't exist, I just don't think that I've ever experienced it to the same level as others have.  But from all our shooting tests Woodsmans and other heads do make more flight noise than plain field points all else being equal.  

I personally spent a good deal of time on broadhead noise with several different broadheads and designs.  God bless my father that put up with my numberous requests to listen to broadheads, field points, feathers and arrow combinations as I shot them past him;)  I had to enlist his help and that of others too to listen to arrows in flight because from the beginning I couldn't tell a difference myself of one head to the next from behind the bow. Some designs were discluded for the volume of noise that they created.  Heads were tested under several conditions situations that amplified arrow noise.

Couple of results that came from out tests.  Firstly, no one could tell what head was coming till AFTER the arrow passed them.  This follows anything I've every personally experienced in the woods.  If I've missed a totally calm unalert animal, they react to the noise of the arrow past them, not coming at them.  Again, just my experience.

Secondly, every comination that we tested head to head against a field point it was always quieter than a broadhead.  Under amplified conditions a field point disturbes less air and thus makes less noise compared to a broadhead.

Lastly, after comparing all of our head combinations and designs we concluded in blind testing that the new Elite made less flight noise than even the original head.  

So in a long way around to answer your question, all of us involved did take the issue of noise very seriously and feel confident that we have produced a head that is quieter than the original.  dino

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Thanks a bunch dino and I thank you guys for taking the new design seriously.  I may get a wild hair and try them this summer.  Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
The biggest buck I ever kill was shot with a Zephyr Sasquatch 4 blade....with the bleeder absent as it kept hanging up on the foam on the bow quiver(I spot glue them in now)...and some of you know what that little bleeder slot will do when shot....that arrow whistled, didn't hiss, but whistled all the way to the goody box just over 30 yards away.

I've always been more concerned with bow noise than head noise as they are more likely to duck the bowstring....but I too don't like noisy arrows either.

Thanks again for all the info Dino....I gotta work up those collars on a dozen soon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©