3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most memorable misses!  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most memorable misses!
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
There was a very heavy bodied spike on our farm that we had been seeing in various places.  It was said that since it was my first year toting the traditional equipment I should be the one to try and get a shot at that very deer.  We did a small nudge and got him moving in my direction.  I remember seeing him coming down the trail on a slow trot.  I could see my friend coming up the wooded draw behind him and had my best friend standing 50 yards behind me.  The buck stopped turned broadside.  I drew, hit anchor and watched as my blue and white feathers zipped just over his back.  I felt so helpless when the arrow was on its way.  I couldnt believe I had missed.  But having the two guys that got me started in traditional archery watch that hunt unfold in realtime, was absolutely priceless.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Arrowed this deer in 1995. The year after I found his identical brother feeding like clockwork in an alfalfa field every evening about a month and a half before our season opened. I checked on him a few more times prior to the opening day and he was still showing.

The opening day came and I couldn't hunt the stand I'd hung on his entrance trail due to a bad wind. Three nights went by and I couldn't stand it any longer. I devised a ground blind attack plan. That fourth afternoon found me hacking out tall weeds on the opposite side of his entrance trail about 10 yards from the trail itself. A 5 gallon bucket would be my stand this fateful night.

Shortly before last light I had seen nothing. Right before I was ready to pack my stuff and go I put on my jacket and stood up to take one last peek over the 4 foot tall weeds.  This time I was surprised to see his buddy (a respectable 8 point) and him in tow coming right down the trail my way fast. I immediately sat on my bucket grabbed my bow and waited. With no hesitation the two deer walked right by my at 10 yards and straight out into the knee high hay field.

After watching them for a second the big deer put his face down in the food standing broadside at 20 yards directly in front of me. I lifted up, drew and let it go. My string hit the puffy jacket sleeve I had just put on (without an arm guard) and the arrow pasted just under his belly. The deer lumbered off into the woods never to be seen again.

I'll never forget the nightmares I had for several months after that hunt.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
First time I ever shot at an animal from a treestand with my recurve. Nice hog, probly not more than 10 yards away, in a group of about 15 hogs all feeding on corn.

I thought I had it down, aiming just a little lower than normal. Until I saw that arrow go so close over her back I swear it rubbed her. On cue all 15 pigs raised hell in every direction. I started laughing so hard I dropped arrows out of the tree.

Offline Paul the Viking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
My most unique miss came when I followed a young mulie buck who I watched drop down into a steep-sided creek bed.  The creek was dry and as I peered over the edge, I could see the deer standing in the rocky bed about 15 feet straight below me.  I released an arrow just as the deer took a small bound over a rock.  My arrow hit right between his feet at the exact momement he landed from his leap.  The arrow didn't skip off the rocky bed, but rather stuck in the bed, between some rocks.  It made a terrible loud noise.  Yet the buck didn't even seem to notice.  He must have just thought it was his massive frame that shook the creek bed (young bucks can be so arrogant!) He took one step forward and I sent a second arrow that passed through his lungs.  He only ran about forty yards and piled up.  This was my first buck, a modest 1X2.  I have plenty of missed shots that still wake me up at night, but I'd have to say this is my most memorable miss.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Without a doubt it would be the big 10 pt. whitetail I missed the year before last.It was in the evening and I was in a treestand between a bedding area and a field set-up next to the only appletree around.The deer like to check for drops under it and the wind was perfect for this stand that evening.Half hour before dark I hear something behind me to my left and here he comes.Did my best to compose myself and as he came up broaside at about 10 yds. I drew and let it fly...right over his back.He ran about 20yds. down the hill and stood there staring in my diretion for a few minites then turned and stomped off into the thicket below never to be seen again.Looking back,my mind went blank drawing on him and I just looked at the whole deer and never picked a spot.He would have easily been my biggest deer with a bow,compound or stick,but definitely not the first one I've whiffed on.Gotta remember to focus on the spot....   :knothead:

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
A good as place as any to say Hello to all. My first post.

Hardly new to trad, 57 this peak of the rut in Nov and started shooting at age 6 much to my Dad's angst, since he had never shot a bow in his life.

I 'bout drove the family nuts buying thost 25 cent arrows at the hardware....or harping for some.

Lots of "Oh MAN!" hunts since my first one but one that has to be a bit unique was one of the LAST TIME's I hunted in a tree stand some time ago.

Hunting what I only knew was NOT a year old buck due to rubs and hoof depth, I held out looking for a shot at him.

ON MY BIRTHDAY, Nov 13 I was determined that it was GOING TO BE that day and I was going to stay out ALL day in my attempt.

Knowing how my posterior feels after several hours on my home made stand I took a boat cushion.
A RED one.

By about 10 AM I was even more confident that day was going to be MY day to take him with my Bighorn recurve TD and hand made D.Fir. Deer were MOVING big time..and bucks were running those does back and forth.

Off to my right, I could see a larger deer coming straight at me through the woods heading for the swamp on the other side.

YEP! THAT WOULD BE HIM!! Nice long tall 10 pt, swollen neck, the whole bit.

Closer, Closer, CLOSER? oh MAN...he stops RIGHT under me but with his body on my right side.

Ever so slowly I stood up, knowing he would be passing under me and into my shooting area in seconds.

Last I saw of that seat cushion it was hanging on some long tines sticking above the horseweeds bounding through the swamp.

I hunt on the ground now, LOL! WAS NOT funny at the time but IS NOW!

Steve
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
I hunted unit 34 in New Mexico three years ago had three chances but could not close the deal. I had one bull come into a wallow with nine cows looking to kill something. He ripped out brush. He threw mud thirty feet in the air. He was screaming and pissing himself. That bull had my heart pumping so hard it almost blew the buttons off my shirt. He gave me a broadside and I shot over him at 31 yards!!! Can you imagine that, 31 yards? Without any exaggeration that bull was 320 plus with the widest antlers I've ever seen, they were flat with sweeps at the tips. I felt like a 15 year old on his first deer hunt. I had two more chances with no shot opportunities, one 3 by 4 and one 5 by 5. This hunt was amazing I saw and heard more elk than I thought existed.
 I just started to bow hunt a few years ago. I've hunted with a gun for 40+ years and harvested many animals. I have never had a rush like this one!!! This up close and personal, WOW !!!
 Good luck with your hunts!!! I drew the same unit 34 NM tags again (twice in four years, Maybe time to go to Vegas?) Hope I can keep my heart rate down this time? I know were they live  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
1967 missed a doe in Pa at 8 yards wide open shot, shot over her back.....  Go figure
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
My first shot with a trad bow was also they biggest buck I had ever been in bow range of. I caught site of him several hundred yards away I watched him come down the trail I expected he would. He stopped perfectly broadside at 5 yards or so I drew and shot right over his back. The worst part was finding his remains after rifle season the same year. I assume someone shot him during gun season and did not recover him. I missed quite a few with a compound as a teen also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©