3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally it all came together! Thanks Matt  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Finally it all came together! Thanks Matt
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
I switched to Trad archery 4 years ago and have hunted deer exclusively with my bow since then. Until this morning however, I still turkey hunted with my scattergun. I lost a good buck 3 years ago, completely missed a doe this past deer season, and I was wondering if it would all ever come together for me. Well this morning, thanks to my son Matt, it finally happened for me. Matt is an excellent turkey caller and has called a gobbler in for me on opening day for four straight years counting this morning. He recently bought a Double Bull blind, and told me that he was going to call a gobbler in so close  that even I could hit it. I was skeptical about turkey hunting with my bow, but he convinced me to leave the shotgun at home and take the recurve. We hit the woods at 7:00 AM packing the Double Bull, a huge decoy bag, pockets full of calls, my quiver with 3 arrows and my bow. We walked the top af a long ridge, stopping to hoot every 5 minutes or so, but we got no answering gobbles. So we decided to just set the blind up off the side of an old logging road we were on and try calling for a while. First we positioned our decoys in the logging road and then paced off 15 yards and set up the blind. It was just cracking daylight when Matt made a few light tree yelps, and immediately got an answering gobble from the next ridge over! The bird didn't gobble again for about 15 minutes, and then Matt said the bird was on the ground and gobbling at the base of the ridge we were on ( I can't hear a turkey gobble unless it is within 25 yards). LOL. Well, to make a long and nerve racking story short, the bird appeared at the top of our ridge about 30 minutes later, immediately started strutting and walked to the gobbler decoy we had placed with two hen decoys. He started strutting and pecking the decoy and faced it down for several minutes, but he stayed on the opposite side of the decoy from me. I was a nervous wreck, and was afraid that the gobbler would realize the decoy was a fake and leave without giving me an open shot, but then he decided to circle the decoy. When he got to a position that was quartering toward me a little, he suddenly dropped out of strut, and I released the string. I honestly don't remember drawing the bow. The arrow flew straight and true, entering the bird a few inches behind his left wing and exiting just in front of his right leg. He flew straight up about 5 or 6 feet, landed and ran over the top of the ridge which was only about 6 feet behind him. We started to get out of the blind and chase the bird, but we decided to wait a few minutes so as not to spook him any worse in case he was not mortally wounded. We waited about 5 minutes and walked to the decoy where we found several feathers, but no blood. So we took a few steps in the direction the turkey had gone and there lay my arrow covered in blood; a complete pass through! After examining the arrow, we walked down the side of the ridge about another 15 yards, and there lay my gobbler partially under an old blow down Oak tree. I've killed lots of turkeys and deer with firearms in my life, and I have a lot of memorable hunts, but NOTHING compares with the emotions and excitement I am feeling about this morning's hunt with my son Matt. My success this morning would not have been possible without his eyes, ears, calling ability, and mostly his unselfish desire to help his old man succeed at fullfilling his dream of becoming successful with the stick and string. "Thank you Matt". I love you son.

EQUIPTMENT: Browning Nomad Stalker I, 52", 45# @ 28". Easton XX75 2016, 29-1/2" BOP, 170 gr. Wensel Woodsman (not very fast, but deadly at 15 yards).
Double Bull Matrix blind. Carry-Lite Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl Turkey Decoy Set.
Woodhaven slate and diaphragm calls and a wing bone call by Bernie Dunn all saw action in the seduction of this gobbler.
THOSE DECOYS ARE AMAZING!
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally it all came together! Thanks Matt
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
Way to go Chuck!!! What a great way to have your 1st trad kill come together for you! It's awesome that you could share that experience with your son!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Oh, I forgot: 10-1/2" rope of a beard, a 1" and a 7/8" spur, 19-1/2 lbs.(bathroom scales). A set of wing bones for me, a set for Bernie, a lot of feathers to strip and use for spiral wrapped flu-flus, and of course some darned good eating!
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
Congratulations Chuck!!!
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Yahooooooo!!!!! Way to go Chuck!!!

You think Matt can call one in for me???? LOL
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
awesome that is a very nice story
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Congradulations!!! Hap

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
Outstanding!Cograts!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Man is that an awesome story or what. Congrats Chuck!! Excellent pics too.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
I want try that this year is it worth giving it a shot with a recurve?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
good job chuck!!!!!!!!!!, now its my turn!!!!!!!
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
And congrats on the pending grandchild!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
It don't get much better than that Chuck!!!!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks guys. This was definately the best hunt of my life and one that has given me memories that I will always cherish.
I am trying to borrow a camcorder so that I can record tomorrow's hunt. Matt is gonna try with his bow tomorrow and I would love to get the hunt on film. Just watching that gobbler attacking the decoy would have made my day; being able to make the shot was just icing on the cake. I would have never believed that a full size mature gobbler decoy would work. I had seen some videos, but I just wrote them off as being sales/advertising hype. I figured they were probably filmed in an area that was baited and overrun with turkeys, but now I am a believer.

Lewis, he would probably be happy to try to call you one in if you can furnish a place to hunt. We can't take any guests to the property we hunted this morning.

2Blade, YEP!

Ian, go get 'em.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    EXCELLENT     :thumbsup:
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
That is awesome Chuck, I can't think of a better way for your first trad kill to happen.  Congrats to both of you and good luck in the morning.  :thumbsup:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
Congratulations!  Great story.

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
thanks for sharing your story chuck and congrats on a great first.
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Absolutely awesome Chuck!!!!

Congratulations bud    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Father and son together    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
Ahh nice.Happy to see someone realize a goal and share with your son.Memories if a lifetime.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©