3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions Of Zipper SXT  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Gizzard

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Opinions Of Zipper SXT
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Hi Gang, I'm in the market for a 3 piece and these have caught my eye. I love the profile of the SXT lonbow, but would like some opinions from those who have shot them. I won't be able to shoot one before I buy, so any info will be helpful.

Thanks, Gian  :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions Of Zipper SXT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Get one with the Carbon/Foam limbs. You can thank me when you get it.

Pics of my backyard last week when Bill and Tracy came to play for three days.

TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Fourfletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Bob Thompson, the origional owner of Zipper Bows,made a better shooting, better looking, and quieter shooting bow than the present owner of Zipper Manufacturing. Purely an opinion.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I have been shooting a standard riser recurve Bob Thompson made for me in 1989. It's a quiet, forgiving, beautiful bow I've taken lots of game with in the intervening 20 years.

I am now shooting an SXT made for me by Bill Dunn. It's quiet (foam core limbs are selfbow quiet) forgiving, beautiful bow that WILL kill lots of game for me in the coming 20 years. The greatest thing about Bob's, and now Bill's Zipper is the handle- it fits RIGHT. Everyone that picks it up says so.

They aren't the fastest...but they are fast enough..I never had a critter complain with its last breath as it died " you killed me with a bow that wasn't fast enough".

I wouldn't agree with your remarks at all. I guess that's why they have more than one kind of bow out there.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
I have not shot one of the Bob Thompsom made bows, but the bows made currently by Bill Dunn are among the best bows a person can buy. Just my opinion.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
I have shot all the Zipper models including one not available yet. Bob did a great job on his bows, but was fairly limited in his riser woods and the Locust limb cores aren't fast(I agree with Ray's assessment above). Bill offers more woods, riser design choices and his carbon foam limbs put him right up there with just about everybody in speed, smoothness and quietness. I think he has done a wonderful job with the Zipper name and has improved on the bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline LBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
I am going to buy a Zipper from bill this summer. I personally think it is one of the best---CUSTOM BOWS--- out there I don't live that far from Bill and Tracy. Bill said I could come to his shop and he would make the bow I wanted. Of course he wants me to pay also----duh.Just my input-- thanks MIKE
Life is tough,it's even tougher if you are stupid. SEMPER FI (63-67)

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Never owned or shot a Bob Thompson Zipper but can't imagine them being better than the Zippers made by Bill....great bows.  :thumbsup:

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
The SXT is an outstanding bow. I shoot mainly recurves but my SXT with longbow limbs is fast becoming my favorite. I have the bamboo limbs and it is every bit as fast as most of my recurves. The only one that might be faster is my Morrison ILF with carbon foam limbs. You will not be sorry if you buy an SXT, they are beautiful,and the grip is awesome.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Call them now and place your order.Theres other fine bows out there but none finer.To speak to Bill and Tracy will convince you to buy from them.They are what America used to be and they are very accomodating. Guess they have to be after dealing with my cousin Ray, he calls them by the minute changing the options on his elk horn riser SXT.I have a Bob Thompson standard and Extreme and am ordering an SXT.If I could only have one it would be the SXT with foam core LB limbs.I shoot the foam limbs on my Extreme and it is deadly quiet and fast.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I had the pleasure of shooting a few of Bill's new bows (including Ray's)and he is doing a marvelous job with the brand. I liked the grip of the SXT very much, but because it shot so similarly to my full size Extreme, I couldn't make an excuse (other than pure desire) to order one. Now that's no slight to the SXT. It is actually quite a complement to Bill. He was able to keep the excellent performance and manners of a proven design and create a radically different (size wise)model. Now there are more choices for all of us Zipper fans...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline THE LYNX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:00 AM »
I realize that everyone is different, but I must say that the grip on a Zipper is one of the best made!  Maybe THE best! Great bow, feels good as you shoot it.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
DO IT,DO IT

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
I shot the SXT riser bow when Bill and Tracey were in VT for a few days, to say I was impressed would be an understatment! The sweetest shooting bow I have ever shot and I have gotten to shoot alot of different bows with Dave, it is smooth fast and quiet with the foam cores and I heard the carbon only makes it better, I have one of bills bows now with locust cores and the difference in speed is amazing. I will be getting a SXT riser bow from Bill in the future with foam cores and probally carbon. In my opinion they are the best bet for your buck in quality, shootability, and the Dunn's are a pleasure to work with. Buy one you will be impressed. If you do not want to wait buy a in-stock bow cause they are backed up till December. That should tell you something about the type of bow you will get. Chris

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Shot the SXT at Kalamazoo this year with Foam Core Limbs and I would not hesitate to buy one from Bill. The craftsmanship was excellent and I am a stickler for perfection believe me. Flint

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Theres nothing cheesie about the new bows that Bill and Tracy build! They are amoung the finest built bows out there. You want find a nicer couple either.

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
I shot a couple different modles for the first time at Denton hill last year. I think they are
 As fine a shooting bow as any I've shot or owned!  I just may have to put some money aside to buy one at Denton this year.
I reckon so

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
The SXT IMHO is a great shooting bow. I have a Standard Zipper, and a Standard with foam core limbs. It seems just a bit smoother and quicker then the bamboo core. When i shot thw SXT with carbon AND foam core it kicked it up a notch again. I have one on order and relagated my oldest Zipper to back-up carp and deer bow! The SXT is the Cadillac of the Zippers.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
I have an SXT on order, and I love all the positive comments on this thread.  Just a question; What exactly is the benefit of carbon in the limbs?

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Vermonster those are awesome looking zippers in thos photos.

Do you know what limb veneer was used in the first bow from the front on the bottom photograph?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©