3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines  (Read 22626 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Let me see if this works. bw

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Sounds like memories were made, can't beat that, but who's going to spill the beans and fill in the blanks?
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
I'm at my sister-in-laws and was't sure of this computer. I'm still unwinding but will start the ball rolling to say a HUGE thank you for all involved. All of you know Tom Phillips had several late cancellations on this hunt which opened the door of opportunity to attend. What a shame all those reading this couldn't have attended. I'll echo Jon and Dick's praise of this bear camp/hunt. It's as good as it gets. When you have twenty-plus guys in one camp there sometimes will be personality conflicts for whatever reason. This was my third straight year for this hunt. I have yet to see a single person that wasn't smiling from ear to ear. For those who couldn't attend I totally understand, but if anyone contemplated going and didn't because of uncertainty I truly feel sad they didn't get to experience this. I won't get into all the details yet as we all have great stories to share. I personally had a total of 33 bears under ten yards and many of them came in a half dozen or more times each. I've killed a pile of
bears over the years so I'm rather picky. Sometimes I'm probably too picky. But to whet your appetite I had three different bears climb into my tree with me, two of which sniffed the bottoms of my boots through the grill of the platform. I poured a bottle of orange pop in one's face... and he LIKED it. One evening I had to climb down from the stand with one bear at maybe 12 feet and another at fifteen feet and a third big boar at 15 yards all huffing and popping their teeth at me while my bow was still attached to the haul-line. Major pucker factor extreme. I threw my pruners at one, threw sticks and a bottle of water at a couple more just so I could get back to camp to eat some of Bowdocs cooking. I also got some great video footage I hope to share somewhere down the road for others to enjoy. As I said earlier, please have patience with those responding to this thread as we are all very, very tired. I'm sure those who didn't make the trip will be enjoying the tales in great detail shortly. Right now I'm going to take another nap with a smile on my face. Sweet dreams to all and again... a huge THANK YOU!  BW

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Oh well just another year at Bear Quest...same old same old.  Yea Tom worked his buns off but nothin' new about that.  Bowdoc was center stage and cook dejour...but shoot that's expected too!  Everyone got to see and shoot at bears but for the last 19 years it's been 100% anyway.  Those who tagged out early got to fish for walleyes, some 40+ caught for dinner.

But I got to admit there were some pretty cool first on Quebec Quest III.  We all had the pleasure of seeing 14 year old Thomas Reeves come of age, retired FDNY Kevin Shea become completely hooked into a new world of traditional bow hunting, Susie the German Jagdterrier of Bill Kissner making recovery of multiple bears with No Blood Trails.  The list goes on and on...guarantee there will be some stories to follow...plus the second week boys are at it right now!  Some of the pictures will have to be edited later   :scared:  

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Made it home and need a nap.  1300 mile drive gets to you before its done.  It doesn't get any better than Bear Quest.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Just got done catching up on some work, to late to get into details. T.P. puts on the best bear hunt I have been on. It was awesome to say the least!!!! BOWDOC you rock!!! Great group of people.
Yo nature valley, I think you should start posting those pics you were snapping all day, bet you have some great ones MATTY!!!!!!!!!!!
The video footage is cool....

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Myron and I got in about 6:45PM. We stayed last night in Buffalo and it was a long day. I will try to get a few pics uploaded tomorrow. I just want to agree with others above and say there are more bears up there than anyone can imagine. I believe everyone had multiple sightings.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
Nate, Well, what happened????????

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »

An exceptional trip with exceptional people!!! BQ just keeps getting better!

I shot her with my longbow from 8 feet away! She’d been right under my very low (again) stand (5 ft high?) woofin’ and clicking and popping her jaws before she settled a bit and paused in front of me. Looked at me just as the arrow flew! She ran about 50 yards then made not a sound. Susie The Wonder Dog helped us find her as there had been rain that night which left us a zero blood trail!
Quite honestly, the best of this trip for me was the camaraderie I shared with my new an old Tradgang friends! I particularly enjoyed helping in some small way the first time bear hunters. Hard to believe that I could offer some small tidbit of advice that I'd learned from experience and better hunters than myself in the three previous Bear Quest trips!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »

Few happy campers
Matty, Bowdoc and Kevin

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
3 of my favorite people!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
NRA Life Member

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
can't believe I Missed it !     :banghead:
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Matt, I talked one into riding home in my cooler.  I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Missed you Hogdancer! Kevin and I were trollin' along talking about all your fine qualities and the fun we had together on the Tx piggig.    :D
NRA Life Member

Offline Tyler Carlson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2009, 03:18:00 AM »
Tippit- Is that Randy Reeves and his son in the second pic on page 11? Man that kid has grown up...great couple of Texans right there.
"The desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold..."

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »
Tyler,  That picture is indeed Randy and that ain't no kid anymore!  Thomas Reeves...the Man from Snowy River oops I mean Spring, TX.  Got my movies mixed up  :D  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Tippit knives got a nice work out as Bear Quest once again proved to be the perfect R&D department for me.  It really helps a bladesmith to see what hunters like in a blade.  With 15 bears on the skinn' table, it don't take long to see what works and feels good!  That's like 10 years of huntin' work for a blade.  Plus I was able to get some of the hunters personal knives scary sharp too.

It always amazes me which knives come out on top for me personally.  These two were my '09 picks...7 inches OAL, 5160 hand forged high carbon steel, hollow grind with a thick spine for strength to dis-articulate the paws.   They made quick work of undressin' them bears  :)  

Now if I could just figure out how to sell a knife   ;)   Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
Those are a couple of beauties!  And I can tell you how to go about selling 'em.  You put a price tag on them. And then they'll be sold. It's that simple   :readit:      ;)  

I had no doubt this was going to be a great trip, and you fellows sure didn't disappoint.  Looking forward to hearing all the details of each and every story!!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
Doc, partly due to how they are obtained, your knives are much more valuable to their owners than any you can buy. Equally fine or better craftsmanship too!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
NRA Life Member

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Those are some fantastic looking knives. I agree with Whip....put a $ on them and they are gone! Hungry for more Bear Quest III details this morning.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©