3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines  (Read 22674 times)

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Great story telling Shaun. I really appreciate when guys obviously enjoy the hunts so much they are willing to share blow by blow details with those who weren't able to attend. The unselfishness to share is a big part of the group bonding. Those reading can be present in spirit and those who attended can re-read the writings many years from now to stir faded memories. Thank you, great job! After our initial meeting at Jeff's home and a gracious homecooked meal we got on the road for our great adventure. I had the pleasure of riding up and back with Rob Schultze in his new Toyota pickup. Two minor problems came up right away. About a mile down the road I suddenly realized it was a regular cab truck so the seats didn't recline to nap for the eleven hour drive up and back. No huge problem though as Rob fed me a never ending list of questions whereas I had absolutely no way of avoiding/getting away. I honestly think he felt guilty about hitting me with so many questions, but if the truth were known I didn't mind it at all and actually enjoyed it.. other than feeling somewhat hoarse. So problem number one was the seat didn't recline. THEN about an hour later, knowing I couldn't get away, I commented on his nice, new truck. He informed me he got "a good deal" on it because the previous owner committed suicide via carbonmonoxide fumes in the seat I was riding in! Wonderful... so much for trying to take a nap! So... whenever I drove I white-knuckled it the whole time expecting a semi to cross the imaginary line. Someone kept poking me in the ribs when I was driving. Rob said it was him trying to keep me awake but twice I turned my head real quick and Rob was sleeping.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
This just keeps getting better and better. Just think, the 2nd week guys will be able to continue this in a few days. Made me not think about my surgery repaired elbow and enjoy the hunts with all you guys. Thanks!!!!!!!

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
[QHe informed me he got "a good deal" on it because the previous owner committed suicide via carbonmonoxide fumes in the seat I was riding in! Wonderful... so much for trying to take a nap! So... whenever I drove I white-knuckled it the whole time expecting a semi to cross the imaginary line. Someone kept poking me in the ribs when I was driving. Rob said it was him trying to keep me awake but twice I turned my head real quick and Rob was sleeping. [/QB]
:biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Last year I saw the biggest bear I'd ever seen in my life from this same stand. Tom has it set up perfectly in my opinion. There's a very slight hill straight behind the barrel covered mostly in low brush and thinner trees. It affords incoming bears the ability to oversee the crib and still feel secure with the understory and slight elevation if they should need to run off. I'm convinced most bears know you are there when they enter the bait. The fact is dominant bears will tree subordinates. When they walk in and see someone in the treestand (even if it's a fat guy)they think they are dominant and they have you (the subordinate)treed. Then, it's just a matter of them classifying any additional incoming bears into the pecking order. A big majority of the fun for myself is seeing the inter-actions between the bears. If you watch close you will see specific personalities arise amongst them. That's one of the major reasons I don't like to tag out early. I knew it was going to be a great week when I saw eight different bears the first day. At 6:05 PM I had a big sow approach from my right. Then her boyfriend angled in just above and to the right of her. As I stated previously, he sat on the sidelines like a gentleman and let her feed. Then he started to circle. When he got directly behind me I heard a ruckus and a bear tree. It was then I knew he was likely keeping another bear at bay while his girlfriend ate. A few minutes later he stepped out to my left at about eight yards. Man.. this was a nice big boar. I mean.. really nice. The only thing that kept me from shooting him right then were flashbacks of King Kong from last year standing in the exact same spot. I let him walk by. He circled again making sure the other bear was still treed. Fifteen minutes later he again walked by at ten yards. The barrel/crib is about 13-14 yds. from my tree. When I rebaited, I would put 1/3 of the donuts in the barrel, another third in a small pile at about eight yards on the ground between me and the barrel, and another 1/3 about ten yards off to my left. My reasoning on this is to keep multiple adult bears within range feeding at the same time rather than having one take over the barrel. It also gives you the opportunity for varied shot angles when a single bear hits each pile. Anyway, after the big boar circled the second time I heard the bear he'd treed earlier slide down and haul butt. When he heard bear #3 leaving he waddled by me again to make sure the intruder was gone. He stood broadside at five yards looking the other way for almost thirty seconds letting me get some outstanding video footage of him. It was all I could do not to shoot him right then but I was still having flashbacks from King Kong. Finally he just slowly walked off. His girlfriend continued to feed. I could see a wound between her shoulder blade which was obviously a "love bite". That made me feel he'd already bred her. Then I questioned whether she was successfully bred and he'd absandon her for another or continued to pair with her for a few more days giving me other opportunities. After he walked off for the third time I asked myself some serious questions about my sanity. This was a great boar. Although the video footage doesn't do him justice because I kept it mostly on wide angle, he was over 300 lbs. live weight in my opinion, had a great pelt with no rubs, a good head with forehead crease, a double chin and walked with the waddling gait of a mature stud. I was an idiot!

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I've been told I probably should not put this on this thread but I think there's a lesson to be learned here and will subject myself to any ridicule in order to share the info so others won't make the same mistake. After having the long talk with myself on not shooting, here he comes again. He was slowly walking from right to left at six yards. A walking shot at that distance on a slow moving target is no problem. I purposely timed my shot with his gait so the close front leg was forward opening up the ribs.
I was shooting Paul Schafer's personal bow that I inherited after his death. It's marked at 70 lbs. at 28" but those who pull it seem to agree it might be slightly more. Regardless, just before I left home 3 Rivers sent me some of the new WW Elite broadheads to test. Because it was the day before I left home for the trip back east,I quickly mounted them on some new arrows and shot them at fifteen yards or so and they flew fine. No problem I thought. But the problem arose with the target now at only six yards. When viewing the video footage the human eye cannot hardly see it. But when we later put the tape in Bill Langer's camera and ran it on ultra-slow motion you can see what happened. Basically the feathers were not able to straighten out the flight of the shaft at such close range, whereas they would at 15 yds. My mistake for sure. The arrow hit him at a sideways fishtailing angle on entering. Becasue of the angled shaft it appears to have hit the back of the scapula rather than just behind it. I'm of the opinion it slid along the shoulder blade somewhat exiting just in front of the entrance whereas he reached around and pulled the arrow out likey with his teeth, shattering the carbon shaft length-wise but never actually entering the chest cavity. I was devastated. I was somewhat relieved when I got his picture taken with the same sow three days later with no apparent ill effects. Sorry guys. Hopefully whoever sits the stand this week will perform better than I, get him and maybe answer some uncertainty.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
After my loss and a resulting group search (six guys and Suzie the wonder dog) I decided to punish myself by not hunting the following day. The rest of the week was filled with action. And I mean filled! I ended up with seeing a total of 33 bears (I think) of which most came in multiple times each. I never sat a morning or evening when I didn't have a bear under me. By the way, after the loss Bill, Matty and I spined some new arrows for the close range shots. Anyway, the action was superb. Really superb.I had three different bears climb up into the tree with me, two of which sniffed the bottom of my boots through the grill of the platform. I poured a bottle of orange pop in one's face and he liked it. He proceeded to lick it off himself then paw the ground where it spilled over. Wednesday evening I had ten different bears come in. They were getting pretty bold watching me with no fear. When it got time to leave I had one on each of the little bait piles at 8 and 10 yds. and another pretty good boar standing next to the crib. By the way, I never saw a cub all week. Anyway, I had to get out while there was still some light remaining. They were tough enough to deal with in low light none the less after dark. I hissed at them... no response; then I clipped some branches from my tree and threw them at them.. no response; I growled; yelled "HEY.. GET OUTTA HERE". no response. I threw my belt pruners at them... then my bottle of water.. no luck. They just stood there huffing and popping their teeth. My move. I loaded up my camera (it was now too dark to film)and put my backpack on to make myself look even bigger; engaged extreme pucker factor and lowered my bow. They didn't like that and advanced closer. As with a dog who you don't want to show fear to, I climbed down the tree. When my feet hit the ground I raised my arms over my head and roared/yelled as load as I could and ran right at them. It worked as they ran off just far enough, but held their ground just long enough to let me get my bow off the haul-line, nock an arrow and back out. I noticed a lump in my throat. In fact, it felt like two lumps if you know what I mean. I love this stuff!

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
I don't want to hog this thread, but I really wanted to see 13 year old Thomas Reeves get his first bear with the recurves he and dad Randy built for this hunt. As I said before we left Jeff's house, Thomas was going to leave a boy and return a man! I decided to let Thomas sit my stand. Randy wanted me to sit with Thomas but I declined wanting Thomas to have his dad at his side rather than myself. Thomas came through with flying colors as you all know and I'll let he and Randy tell their story. I ended up passing up several more bears waiting for the big guy. I also had a couple more exciting close encounters involving shooting my judo tipped shaft into the ground to scare one boar off. He didn't care and proceeded to walk over and chew on my feathers to prove it to me. For anyone even remotely thinking of going on this hunt next year... don't even hesitate. Tom and the crew do an outstanding job of offering the opportunity to make memories you'll recall for the rest of your life. THANK YOU ALL! See you next year. BW

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: June 26, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Barry, as always, a real man, in real life, telling real story's.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: June 26, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
How do you get signed up for this hunt next year, i would love to go.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: June 26, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
WOW!
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: June 26, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
I don't want to hog this thread
please do so    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: June 26, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
I don't know Barry..but I looked at that video of the arrowed bear too.  I think he was 308#   ;)  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Blue Monday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: June 26, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Barry, I truly enjoyed driving up and back with you. You are a great story teller and  a great guy.I look forward to your book in the fall. All the people on this trip were great. Looking forward to next year already. I will be having more caffeine next year though. Jeff next year you don't get to use any of those river rocks on the scale.LOL Rob aka sleepy

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: June 26, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Well done everyone.As others have said great trip!!!!!!Second week coming up.

Rob we can stock you up on 5hr energy drinks at Derby line  :)  

Barry
 Great story telling as always.As for lessons learned I posted the same situation last year on this hunt. Not easy but well done!Pleasure sharing camp with you.

Doc
 There's plenty of room for any size bow in that blind. Hope to see you in it next year.Good luck with your PT.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: June 26, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Shaun and uncle Barry, thanks for carrying the story. Shaun great pics! Katie (me wife) has been trying to post pics for me on my parents computer, but has had no luck. Both our computers have major problems still. GREAT- GREAT group of people!!! Tom Phillips has the best bear camp I have ever been in-and I have been blessed to share some great bear camps over the years!
PV I am still sick over losing your footage...sorry man.
My story is always told best through film,I will try to get it together later this year. Thanks again to all that attended and made this such a great hunt.
T.P. and BOWDOC you guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: June 26, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Come on trail mix aka nature valley aka Matty, that camera was going all the time............

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: June 26, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Myron and I drove into LaTuque Friday afternoon and stayed at the "Motel 9" on the south side of town. We were fresh with plenty of sleep when most of the others arrived about 6:30AM Saturday morning.

After breakfast and stopping at the sporting goods store,we arrived in camp before noon. We moved into the cabins and got situated, then split up in groups to refresh the baits. The ones our group visited had been completely cleaned out.

After returning to camp I was one of several that decided to go out and sit a bait for the evening. I had only been in the tree about an hour when a bear surprised me when he came in from behind me and immediately went for the goodies in the barrel.  I had taken my climber and had sawed several limbs off and was considerably higher than most of the other stands. The downward Angle was steep as the bait was only about 7 yards from the tree. It is hard sometimes to judge the size of a bear when viewing at this angle but I determined he was too small and I did not want to kill out the first afternoon. That was the only bear to visit that evening.

Sunday afternoon I decided to take my video camera and at least get some footage whether I took a shot or not. Again, after only being in the stand for only a short period of time the same bear came into sight. I started the camera and videoed him as he spent many minutes walking back and forth before finally coming in and grabbing a mouthful of donuts. He knew I was in the tree and looked up at the camera several times. He came in a couple more times before disappearing into the forest.

Sometime later another bear emerged and did the same routine before coming in but this time he never looked up or seemed to notice me. I assumed this was the same bear. He went for the meat bucket instead of the sweets, grabbed a chunk and ran a few yards and stopped to eat it.

About now, I am starting to look at him a little closer and thinking he might be a little bigger than I thought. Someone in camp had mused the average bear killed here was about 135 pounds. After watching him a while, I decided he was at least that big. Part of my estimate was by looking at his feet.

Remembering Bowdoc saying that in years past a few guys had passed up bears waiting on a bigger one and ended up with nothing, I decided to take him. He was standing perfectly broadside and giving me plenty of time to make sure the camera viewfinder had him centered.

I could not have placed the arrow any closer to where I wanted if I had been able to just stab him with it. It zipped through and landed in the cribbage. He was dead in less than 5 seconds and in plain sight. I actually heard the blood sloshing in the chest cavity as he ran. This was something I had never heard before. I was plenty happy especially since I had the whole thing on video.

With help, he was carried out the next morning and brought to camp. He weighed 176 pounds which surprised me a little as I had revised my earlier guess to 150 . Only after viewing the video did I realize there had been 2 different bears. The one the night before and the first one that came in were smaller than the boar I eventually shot.

The others in camp were all very good guys and I would be glad to share any future hunts with any of them. Bowdoc makes this camp rock. Any of you that have not met him are really missing something. He is definately the genuine article!!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: June 26, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
That's cool Bill...congrats bud    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: June 26, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Congrats Bill. Thanks for the play by play.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: June 26, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
No sweat Bill. You got a lot of great footage.
Looking forward to seeing what you put together. Been protyping a new bow all week so I've only had time to see a few of your tapes. Best hunting videos I've seen.
How did you talk John into missing all those shots on his moose hunt?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©