3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines  (Read 22687 times)

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines
« Reply #360 on: June 29, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Whoa there Kevin… you forgot a VERY important part to our morning drive. Kevin was at my house at 04:20 ready to go. We made our way to the airport drive and we were headed to long term parking cruising down the road about 55 MPH. Kevin is looking to the right at an exit and he starts drifting to the right…further and little further and a little further… I’m thinking what is he doing as we drift a little further  :scared:  HOLEY CRAP we’re up on two wheels like the Dukes of Hazard! Kevin had drifted into a concrete highway divider and the passenger side tires rode up on to the divider  :biglaugh:  ! I knew then that our adventure had started.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #361 on: June 29, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Just tryin' to make sure you were awake, buddy....  :smileystooges:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #362 on: June 29, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Upon arrival in La Tuque, we topped off the gas tanks and headed to the Sporting Goods/Diner, where the grill was just getting fired up.  Now, I had realized that I wasn't in Kansas anymore during the drive up when the signs switched to Francais...but culture shock hit me square between the eyes when I realized the waitress had a very fleeting grasp of the English language, and my French was even worse.  However, Kip's Cajun French allowed us all to be fed and coffee'd in due course.

Shortly, the Week One crowd began to show up.  Introductions were in order, and shared tales from the previous week served to heighten the second team's anticipation.  Once the First Week crew had checked in their bears and after a Group Photo, we mounted up and headed off into the Quebec Bush.  Pavement gave way to gravel, and civilization was squeezed out by birch and spruce.  Soon, we pulled into Rothman Pourvoirie...

Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #363 on: June 29, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
The changing of the guard.Good god it was bitter sweet to say the least.bd  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
The begaining for some and the end for others.bd  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #365 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
First off when you list the credits like at the end of of good movie.I'am going to start with someone who did not attend bq-3 and that would be a huge thank you to none other then salad bowl hat wearing Terry Green and staff at TG.They make this dog and pony show run like a well oiled machine.Thank you for giving a bunch of big kids a place to play Terry,staff,sponser and supporters of TG.bd

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #366 on: June 29, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
That's a great point, Bowdoc

Without this forum, not only would I not have had the opportunity to gather with kindred spirits from across North Amercia, but I would never have been united with all of my Trad Gang brothers right here at home.

Thanks, Trad Gang
   :campfire:      :archer:
Woodrow F. Call

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #367 on: June 29, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Here Here!

That sure is some purty country fatman!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #368 on: June 29, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Saturday morning's camp activity is kind of a blurr, as Diablo's whip caused us to snap, sh*+, and vibrate...trucks got unloaded, beds were staked out, gear was assembled and organized.  Shortly, a camp meeting was convened to draw for baits.  The lottery gave me the Cove Stand, one of three water baits.  Now, for a flatlander from the plains, the idea of hunting along the spruce-lined shore, accessible only by boat, added a touch of the exotic to the trip.  This was the Great Northwoods!

Shortly, everyone scrambled to don their "baiting clothes", and we began to load buckets both sweet and vile into our various conveyances.  "Pretty Boy" Lloyd Busch loaded Simon and myself in to the boat for our first exposure to the Cove.  The boat ride was smooth and we soon pulled in to the small tributary which gave our stand it's name...

Here's a shot from the back of the Cove, looking out to the lake:

Woodrow F. Call

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #369 on: June 29, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Big thank you goes out to my man Tommy no neck Phillips aka the bull who I love like one of my own.He busts his ass to make sure this hunt is the best it can be.Nobody will work harder then Tom does to make sure you get action on bears a dry place to sleep and plenty of cookie's after you eat all your dinner.
The bears are there and Tom knows how to make it happen thank you Tommy.
Trust me on this one too guy's.I did as mentioned above along with Dick get to film and take still pics of Tom packing out a critter weighing over 300 pounds maybe not the best film Dick wanted me to film but hope we did get some good footage.
A super big thanks you to my wife Linda of 38 plus years and family for undersatnding why papa is gone on fathers day.Its the best gift I get believe me.bd

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #370 on: June 29, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
After beaching the boat, we unloaded the gear and took a step into another world, the Canadian Bush:

Woodrow F. Call

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #371 on: June 29, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
A few yards down the path, we were greeted by a female ruffed grouse doing the "Broken-winged Boogie"....a quick inspection revealed a bevy of fuzzy chicks scuttling through the understory.  Now, Buschie is a big guy, but Momma Grouse clearly intended to kick his arse if he threatened to harm the family.  Lloyd squirted her a few times with the scent bottle, and we were able to pass along without injury to either party.  Soon, we came upon the Cove bait site, and I was able to view my hunting stand.  One thing that keeps being mentioned in these Bear Quest threads is the intimate nature of the baits;  "up close and personal" is heard from all of the veterans.  Here's a little tasted of the proximity from which I'd be viewing my surroundings (I'm 5'8")

The bait barrel was five paces from the base of the tree:

After baiting the Cove, we loaded up in the boat and headed over to the Moose Tower, scene of Doc Springer's historic bloodletting.  Lloyd spent some time adjusting the stand, setting up a trailcam, and baiting the site.  We then slipped on out back to the boat.

On the next leg of our boat ride, we came upon a family of loons with about a dozen little ones (loonlings?) swimming alongside.  Lloyd pulled over, and Simon took some good pics of the loon family before we continued on to the Hillbilly stand, which Lloyd ran up and checked.

It was then back to the cabin for lunch and preparation for the evening hunt....
Woodrow F. Call

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #372 on: June 29, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Keep it coming baby!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #373 on: June 29, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Well, this blows! I couldn't make it this year & the guy who bought my spot went & did this.....

The dadgum cheek of it!  :D

Seriously though, Bobby shot hisself a beauty of a bear (with a bow of his own making, none the less) & I couldn't be happier if it were mine!

Congrats Brother!  :clapper:

I'm sure he'll be along soon to give the full blow-by-blow account.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #374 on: June 29, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks for posting my pics brother Rob.I will figure it out someday!!! I shot this 180# boar at 5 yards my first night on stand,passing on a 100 pounder about an hour earlier.Our trip seems like it was so long ago already,but the memories will keep me until September.Thanks a bunch Tom, Allen and Lloyd for all of your help and avery special thanks to Bowdoc for keeping us well fed and ENTERTAINED!!!!!!.....Bobby

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #375 on: June 29, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
That was a nice bear, Bobby

Congrats!  :thumbsup:
Woodrow F. Call

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #376 on: June 29, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Great Stuff Kevin.

Keep those pictures coming! Looks like beautiful country.  I love getting out on a boat on those peaceful lakes.  We go fishing up in Minnesota at the boundry waters and it is always an awesome adrenaline rush. I can't even imagine what its like when you are going to see some bears when you get to your destination.

Glad you guys made it back safe, no thanks to your driving.    :biglaugh:
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Bahrzoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #377 on: June 29, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Rob, What bait did you shoot your bear off of?

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #378 on: June 29, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
....back to the cabin for the first of Bowdoc's lunch concoctions (sorry, Vance, I don't remember the details        :saywhat:    

I entertained myself watching the red squirrels spar for rights in the sweets bucket.With a full belly and a dry bottom, I eventually started to doze (a little).  At 5:30, the snap of a branch brought me to attention, and I heard some light shuffling on the trail behind me.  Heavy breathing from directly below had me stock still in my stand, avoiding the urge to look down.  Presently, the bear eased out in to the bait area below my tree....MY FIRST WILD BEAR!  Lloyd had told me earlier that the first bear would look huge, and he wasn't kidding...however, as he started to feed at the barrel, I began to go through the checklist of judging a bear...his back was only even with the top of the barrel, his head was thin, and the ears were sorta big and on the top of his head.  However, his coat was thick and luxurious, with no rubs.  In my mind, I thought, "Wednesday or Thursday, maybe, definitely on Friday."  But, on the first day of a seven day hunt, this bear would walk...

With that decision out of the way, it was time to sit back and enjoy the show.  He dined for a while at the doughnut barrel, ocassionally glancing up at me in the treestand.  He then switched over to the meat bucket, grabbing a long strip of pork fat and dragging it out of the bait area, behind a tree.  He would first wolf it down like a dog, then yak it back up and start over.  Twice, three times, he returned to the meat bucket, each time giving me a sheepish glance, as if to make sure that I wasn't going to challenge him for the bait.  After about 40 minutes of leisurely feeding on the pork, he shuffled across the bait area for some dessert.  Glancing once again at me, he began to stick his head in to the barrel.  Suddenly, he bolted like a shot, and sprinted directly away up a bear trail.  I followed his progress with my ears until he was gone....
Woodrow F. Call

Offline Bill M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #379 on: June 29, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Nice job Kevin wish i had your way with words now keep it coming.
And glad to see you all got home safe and sound.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©