3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines  (Read 22675 times)

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines
« Reply #420 on: June 30, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Yes Paul-good one! I told you we should have used the permanent marker, just think of how funny it would be now.

Jon, I think you should post the pic of sleeping beauty!!!!!!!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #421 on: June 30, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Fatman,Gatekeeper great story telling but, I wouldn't have expected anything less.Great pictures as usual. Sounds like you guys had a hell of a trip.Well come on and keep it coming.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #422 on: June 30, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Sure would be Bill!

Blue Monday did stay awake long enough to make a great shot on a bear and Rob would also wake up for meals but...........

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #423 on: June 30, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Wrong pic. Thought I had the photobucket thing fixed.

Sorry Matty

Blue Monday aka Rob Shultz

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #424 on: June 30, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Looks like it's time to go to sleep. I'm going out of town thur. night until Mon. so I need some more of the "crack" (story telling) to hold me over. Where"s this young lad who shot his first bear out of uncle Barrys stand? I'm awaiting his story.

Doc, I absoultely love that hat!!!!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #425 on: June 30, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
O.K. guys  finally got here.I will post some misc. pics first.I have to spill the beans on one of the funniest things to happen.A few of us were knocking around camp after the floating target and shooting across the lake was over.Some of the crew were hunting but 4-5 were sitting outside talking.Earlier Tom had got bowdoc to shoot a carbon arrow at the floating target(First time a mortal sin to him/Fred Bear will strike him down)We were looking at Bobs Trad Tec metal riser with longbow limbs and Tom said that he could not hit a 5-gallon bucket in front of the trailer with it.Bowdoc again commiting a sin shot the bucket and slid off one side.We all heard a strange sound thinking he hit the trailer but not to be. Allens tacklebox got in the way.When the hunters came in bowdoc ran to Allen and apoligized to him and said I shot your tackle box.Allen just looked at him kinda leaning back and a funny look and said "Why did you shoot my tackle box"but Allen being the easy going guy he is laughed about it. Six bear killers including picture taker lounging around midday telling lies.I have a few more pics but need to go for now.Kip

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #426 on: June 30, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
By Tuesday, we had settled into the routine of Bear Camp; coffee and a quick bite, off to freshen baits and check out the previous night's activity, then back to the cabin for a lunch that would founder a mule.  Then a little lounging, storytelling, and grab-assin' before suiting up and headin' to the woods.

Today's bait run is worth mentioning because Diablo Tom decided to send four of us campers out on our own, without a map, just some sketchy instructions hastily scribbled on a scrap of paper.  Big Bill Moran is at the wheel, with Larry "Caddo" Dix ridin' shotgun, while Gatekeeper and myself are tucked in to the jump seat.

Now, if Allen drives the backroads like an Indy racer, Big Bill is pure NASCAR.  His Chevy bounced down the road, touching down only occassionally.  Remember, we are navigating largely from memory.  Gatekeeper and I learned most of this course from the backseat of Allen's truck, in the rain.  We also are responsible for finding our own stands; again, mine was accessed via Allen's driving the previous night.  Anyhow, we finally found most of them...Bill had a unique way of marking the turnoffs, leaving a sweeping cat's arse in the gravel that we were sure to find the next trip.  When we finished (with only one bait left un-found) we bounced back to the cabin for lunch.  Lloyd and Allen had traveled out to check the Moose Tower and the Cove, and reported that both had been hit hard over the last 24 hours.  This gave me the confidence to again choose the Bowl for my evening sit.

Big Bill was to hunt the Group-a stand Tuesday evening, so he would be my ride to the Bowl.  Bill and I were both pretty pumped up about the evening hunt, and Bill said he'd be back to pick me up around 9:15...unless he shot a bear.

Bill dropped me off at the trailhead leading to the Bowl around 3:30,and rambled on up the hill and out of sight.  I took my time walking up the hill, climbed up into the stand hanging in the spruce, and settled in with my bow across my lap, with an arrow nocked.

Around 4:30, I noticed a dark form coming down the ridge to my left.  Upon further inspection, it was a big black bear, lunch pailin' it on down the hill to the bait.  When he noticed a figure in the treestand, you could almost hear a cartoon "screech" as he planted his heels and came to a stop.  His nose came up, and his head swung from side to side as he tried to gain a clue as to the intruder at the bait.  This was a different bear than what I had been seeing up to this point; his head seemed small in comparison to the body, but looked wider.  His ears rode lower on the side of his head.  And he walked with a sway and a swagger that was not possessed by the smaller bear at the Cove.  Slowly, he lumbered down toward the bait.  At a fork in the trail that would have brought him down to the entrance to the bait crib, he instead veered left, and skirted around behind the bait. He would occassionally look directly at me, swinging his head side to side, up and down, trying to get a whiff.  He came down close, first on the left, then around and down on the right.  You could tell that he WANTED to come in to the bait, but could just not bring himself to commit.  At last, he came further down the hill, right to where the trail branched, and began to turn in to the crib. "HERE WE GO!," I thought, and began to bring my bow up...but the bear hung up behind a small spruce, a mere two yards from the base of my tree, within view, but not presenting any kind of shot.  I could hear him snuffing, huffing, trying to gain the confidence to step on up to the barrel.  Finally, he pivoted on his heel and lumbered up the hill, right next to the same tree the cub had climbed the night before.  From behind the spruce, he started a spying dance, standing up with his paws on the tree to look around the right side, then down on all fours to peek around on the left.  He repeated this move a number of times before taking off across my field of view with a purpose, around to the back side of a small hill to the right.  Suddenly, his head popped up on a stretched neck above the hill, trying to catch me making a sudden move.  Again, he swung across to my left, and came down to the fork in the trail at the crib's entrance, within feet of the steps screwed in to my tree.  And again, he held up behind the spruce, not able to commit to those last few steps which would allow me to shoot.  Finally, he began to shuffle slowly back up the ridge, and when he reached the spruce that had served as his dancing pole, he broke into a trot, up the hill and out of sight...
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #427 on: June 30, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Wednesday 6/24/09

Counting this day there were three more days to hunt. My standards for the quality of bear that I was willing to shoot was starting to drop. A small bear with a bad coat is better than no bear.

The day started at 04:00 and I was in the treestand by 05:00. The Bird stand is ten miles from camp and Tom had graciously loaned me his truck for transportation. The night before my departure form the Bird Stand I hung my socks, a glove and my orange hunting vest from the trees surrounding the crib and I also left two used Thermocell pads in the crib area. I did this to keep my scent and the Thermocell scent in and around the crib area throughout the night when the bears were most active. If the bears were going to come in and feed they would have to tolerate these scents and hopefully become use to the smells in the area. I’m not sure if this tactic has merit but the game camera showed that that the bears readily fed in the crib with these items in the area.

At sometime during the mornings 8 o’clock hour I heard a bear blow behind me (to my east) and I could hear the bear moving through the forest to the northeast. This went on for about ten minutes and then the bear noises ended. I remained in the stand until 09:00 and then head back to camp.

Back at camp, and after a 30 minute nap, Kevin tells me that everyone is going out to shoot at a blue foam block that will be floating in the water. Well this is a fun game if your arrows float or if you know you can hit the block every time. For me the fun ended after four arrows. Tom, Bow Doc and I found out that our arrows sink. Game over!

At 4:00 I was back in the treestand and found that none of the bait was hit during my time away. This turned out to be a very slow night. My entertainment was a Nuthatch and her two chicks that would come in to feed. The mother would fly down into the crib pick up a few crumbs and fly back up to feed the fledglings. Every time the mother gave one of them food the fledgling with the food would shake its little butt. A couple of times they landed on a branch to my left at eye level. This gave me a great view into a small portion of their lives. Another bird that would come in was some type of sparrow. She would fill her beak with as many maggots as she could hold and the carry them back to her nest. One of the times when she was gathering I counted how many she could hold. The count was 16 of those squirming maggots. When she flew out of the crib she looked as if her beak was stuffed with a bunch of little french fries. Also throughout the evening hunt, I listened to a grouse to the north of me drumming. He moved from east to west and continued to drum until I left at 9:30.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #428 on: June 30, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
opps

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #429 on: June 30, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
opps

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #430 on: June 30, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Bowdoc you shot a c c c carbon arrow.  Its all downhill from there.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #431 on: June 30, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
...as I struggled to catch my breath, I began to play the last half hour over in my mind.  I had done nothing to scare the bear away, but his wariness had prevented him from giving me that little window of opportunity...or had it?  As I rewound and replayed the tape, I realized that I had had the big bear broadside at about ten yards on a couple of occassions.  DAMMIT!  I had been so focused on letting the bear come in to the bait, that I had blocked out the possibility of shooting at a comfortable distance outside its boundary.  I mentally flogged myself for blowing what could be my only chance at a truly big bruin, which I guessed would have broken the 200# mark.  But then I remembered Tom's advice to us all as we headed out to our stands: "Let them settle down and get comfortable at the barrel".  I had heard the stories about unrecovered bears, bad hits, and shots that looked perfect but ended in disappointment.  I decided that prudence was the better part of valor, that it was better to take the perfect shot than try to manufacture one.  I would wrestle with this dilema on and off for the next 24 hours...

However, I wouldn't have long to stew over my misfortune, as another bear moved across a clearing 40 yards in front of me, and passed behind the same hill as the big'un.  She too popped up over the top and looked at me, then pivoted and went about her business straight away to my right.  Now I was beginning to think that my orange vest was really becoming a liability...but after Bowdoc's run-in with the Forest Lords last year, I was not eager to chance hunting without it.  Suddenly, I spied ANOTHER bear passing left to right, hot on the trail of the last one....AHAA!  A boar following a sow in heat!  As he passed out of sight, I spied the sow going up a distant hill, looking back on her trail.  After staring back in my direction for a couple of minutes, she suddenly turned uphill and broke into a lumbering run...I'm assuming she was playing hard to get...

After awhile, I looked at my watch and found that it was close to 9:00.  Since Bill was coming around 9:15, I decided to stand and let the circulation get to my nether regions.  As I stretched my frame, I looked up on the hillside and saw a very black, stationary spot through the trees.  I stood still, and presently the form began to float down the ridge.  It zigged and zagged all the way down to the ridge on the left, and I suddenly realized that the big'un had returned.  Could it be that I'd get another chance?  By now, darkness was pouring in to the Bowl;  there was no chancing anything other than a perfect shot at the barrel - but was there time?  Big'un had held up at the base of the spruce, still 25 yards out. He took a few tentative steps forward, then shuffled back.  After a bit, he again started slinking toward the fork in the trail, and my bow came up as he passed behind a tree...then back up the hill he went.  As he was making another motion down the hill, we could hear Bill's truck bouncing down the trail toward my pickup point.  The bear wheeled and sprinted up the hill, the darkness swallowing his form before he passed over the crest.  Too dark to shoot anyway.  Time to meet up with Bill and head back to camp for supper....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #432 on: July 01, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Some good stories flowing here!
Keep 'em coming!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #433 on: July 01, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
Funny SOB's.. Thanks Paul.. LOL
Pictures flow tomorrow.  I think I have 300...LOL

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2009, 06:53:00 AM »
Hey Matty, Looks like someone was trying to give you a Wet Willy as you dreamed of those bears   :D
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #435 on: July 01, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Bob and I trying to catch some walleye.We had more luck with the bears. When I left La. we had 100 degree temps.no difference when I got back.It was very relaxing to fish with the sun overhead and not really too hot and no bugs.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
A few more camp pics.A bad storm came up while hunters were on their stands and Tom getting the fire going.

Shooting the floating target.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
holy smokes it looks like we had a good time.Man Matty and Rob could not help but grim or pass out when the bowdoc was finished with them two.I guess to make light of the whole thing Rob and Matty said to me later that night hey Ward you were a little hard on the Beaver last night.
As for the tackle box deal(kip I just knew you were going to roll over on me) ie carbutt arrow that metal riser made in Korea whatever bow was all staged for you guy's bennefit.Tom offered to pay me extra that week to do that stuff to intertane you guy's.That was all a staged big joke.Heck one year I wrecked Jr.s truck just for laughs.What the hell were only going to go around once and whats a few thousand bucks in damages to me to make you guy laugh ??? You guy's all made me laugh too and it was all worth it in the end.I just showed my family the pics of Bq-3 and my son Troy also said hey dad who's the dumb ass that shot that guy's tackle box.I told him it was some more-on..bd

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Kevin, you got me on my tiptoes trying to see the end. Thanks for a great read.

Tom- Your story is playing well with me too.

And of course Doc's chiming in tells me about the camp sarcasm(sp?) you all talked about. but yet the soft side too.

Thanks guys and keep em coming.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Man I guess I'm gonna have to quit buying so many bows and save my pennies for next years Bear Quest.Looks like a blast!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©