3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines  (Read 22602 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines
« Reply #660 on: July 13, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
wow we covered about every bow make and model huh ? where's no neck Phillips ?????????????????????????? bd

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #661 on: July 13, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Hi Bowdoc

I'm not holding out on you, I was away from the computer for awhile. Here are the stats on my setup.

56” Centaur one piece longbow, 55# @ 29”
Carbon Express, Heritage 250 arrows cut to 31.5” with (3) 5” shield cut feathers and 50 grain brass insert, 125 grain Woodsman broadhead with a 75 grain steel screw-in adapter

Total arrow weight 650 gains
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline nyhunter73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #662 on: July 13, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Hey bowdoc, How bout you remind us what that bow was you used on the tackle box hunt or the arrows for the the river shoot. What's next "wheels"?

Jr.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #663 on: July 13, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Bowdaddy,
The tackle I used for BQ3 was as follows:Bow made by TRAD-GANG member MATT SIMPSON...
 *Custom Nel's Grumley repro laminated static tip Self-Bow of Osage/Walnut/Hickory 56#@27" w/ Banded water Snake skin (caught by Little Feather aka CURTIS KELLAR ).
* Arrow Shaft was supplied by TED FRY of Raptor Archery Doug Fir w/ Osage Footing & reinfornced Self-Nock,SHAFT was SKINNED,FINISHED & FLETCHED by Curt Cabrera (aka GURU) and Knapped STONE Head of PEDERNALES Chert from S.Texas by WOODY BLACKWELL (aka Knife River).
 ***  Thank You gents listed above for the works of Art that helped in harvest of my Bear ***
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #664 on: July 13, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
TP, that's an impressive crew right there to say nothing of the fine equipment! I'm glad you took such a nice bear with it! It must have been all that collective mojo!  :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #665 on: July 13, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
wow Tom thats pretty neat were all the items hand crafted by tradgang members ???? thats cool.
Jr the bow I used on the tackle box was some made in korea rice grinder thing wanttabe bow that did not know if it was a recurve or long bow with the korean built clear fiberglass limbs mounted to a metal handle and was like 88#'s at 26"..
Jr no joke all kidding aside if that tackle box had been shot at that distance with a Bear recurve the damage would have been way worse then it was.You can trust me on this one too it would have been a pass thru for sure and no tracking dog needed sorry Bill.The arrow I used that fatel day was made of a section of a fishing rod it sure looked like to me.Although I did hit the pickle bucket first and then the tackle box with one shot.Not bad shooting huh ? I went to hell fast that day from  shooting carbon arrows out of my 1959 kodiak to shooting tackle boxes with some rice grinder.
Fred was pissed at me that day for sure.Bill Sweetland was so pissed at me too he drowned himself in the river on the first shot.
Had those guy's have not egged me on I would not be typing this right now.I know your always pee'd at me when we lieve bear camp but look at that nice bow you been shooting.If I put one more dent in you bumper smash one more tackle box or wreck the quad one more time I will be sending you another E.B.Holcomb or better this time of course that would mean I get to drive on the roller coaster road.Plus you got the life time refinishes.My wife don't even get life time free-be's.I love ya like a brother thats why I wreck your stuff man.bd

Offline nyhunter73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #666 on: July 13, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Bowdoc, I'm just messin with ya. No hard feelings at all. You could take my truck for a spin in the river if you wanted. Love you too buddy. Some day I will be joining you in the Washington wilderness to see how you do things in your neck of the woods. May even have to borrow that 59 while I'm there. Can't wait to see ya next year

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #667 on: July 13, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Call it superstition but, ttt to get off of that number.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Randy R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #668 on: July 13, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Bow Doc,
Thomas and I were shooting Grey Wolf bows.  Thomas was shooting a 60 " two  piece recurve he helped me build.  His bow is 48# @ 28"   Thomas is shooting gold tip traditional arrows with two blade Phantom broadheads.  I was shooting a 61" two piece longbow.   The bow is 61# at 28", arrow was a gold tip traditional shaft tipped with a 4 blade Zwickey eskimo.  The 61" bow length is correct.  I built three 61" bows all 61#  to take to Africa in July of 1998.  The bow I took to BQ-3 is a favorite, it has quite a few character marks on it.  Both of our arrows were complete pass through shots.

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #669 on: July 13, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
OMG Bowdoc,

The TradTech bow in Question was 53# you might wanna check your Depends Undergarment, because it's full of something that doesn't smell very good. And the ARROW was a USA Easton Aluminum with a BIG Rubber Blunt(not the kind you smoke).And you said at the shot that this bow was WICKED FAST...I think this ACTION needs to be referred to the ALZHEIMER POLICE..AML...Bobby

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #670 on: July 14, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
LOL I didnt think anyone would care about my story so I just didnt take the time to put tit together, BUT. I will tomorrow and I'll throw some more pics  in there too.. Night yall

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #671 on: July 14, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
LOoking forward to it Matty !!
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #672 on: July 14, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Thanks RR I sure hope we have a chance to hunt together again real soon I truly enjoied you guy's company.
Matt I would love to hear the story and also really love to see a few more pics of your bow.I know shooting a critter with a 45 year old bow is no big deal to some but to me thats pretty darn cool and a great story.
Bobby actually that bow was a great shooting bow.Anytime I can pick up a bow I've never shot before in m life and hit the label on a pickle bucket at 25 yards thats a great shooting bow.However the nut on the handle may have been loss that day.....thanks dudes you all rock bd

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #673 on: July 14, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
yep, Matty, we're waitin' with baited breath....  :D  

Or maybe it's just that cheese that Simon brought...  :eek:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #674 on: July 14, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
hey no neck are we waiting on your story too ?? I gotta get this printed over the weekend.I believe most guy's listed thier bows and arrows used and thats kind of what I really like to read.
Simon where are you ? I would love for you to list a couple of the bows you were shooting around camp if you have time.
Once more thanks guy's bd

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #675 on: July 14, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Matty, having enjoyed so much of your first bear story with you, I'd say yours was a great story! I love hearing about anyone's first hunt of_____stories and I am sure most of us here do as well. Steve
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #676 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
crap matt I don't got all day whats shaken bud ? bd

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #677 on: July 14, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Hey, since I was not actually part of the hunt as per say, I kept a low profile on this thread. Add to that my poor quality English...

I PMed Tom for the first time in October 2008 offering my help or assistance if needed since I live 3 hours away from LaTuque. I explained that I was not an experienced hunter and that I could not sign up on QBQIII. Tom said I was welcomed at camp for a few days if I wished it. I accepted the invitation gladly and the thought of assisting in this special hunt made the winter feel a little longer than usual.

Tom then asked me if I had any access to pastries like Twinkies or baked goods as well as chicken carcasses and or beef scraps. Now, I know Americans can have a different diet than us French speaking Québécois, but I can tell you I was a little surprised about the meat scraps demand. I thought it might be for preparing soup or something like that. As for the Twinkies, we dont have those up here. I searched the internet to get a better idea on what Twinkies were and looked like and every time I went to the supermarket, I looked for a similar type of pastries to make all of you neighbours to the south feel a little bit more like home.

Where am I going with all this you ask?

Well, it’s not before late February that I finally realized that the pastries and meat scraps were in fact for BEAR BAIT! Just to tell you how clueless I am sometimes.

Some in the second week might remember the «May West» pastries I brought. I specifically brought them as a joke to myself.

Simon Dupuis
Montréal, Québec

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #678 on: July 14, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
I am a self employed graphic artist by trade. Just for fun, I started a QBQ III poster project that I would eventually submit to Tom for this years edition. I thought that since I had no meat scraps connection I could contribute in the only way I new how to the Quest. After a few drafts, the poster was finished and I sent the file to Toms printer. They also made the QBQ III T-shirt. (Thanks Tom). here is the finished image :

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #679 on: July 14, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
I left Montreal at 4:30 AM the morning of June 20th. This was the day of the change over from the 1st week to the 2nd week. Once I found the sport shop where the meet was set, It was pretty easy to find the group. English speaking and eating. Can´t be wrong. I had to eat too so I presented myself and ordered. To my surprise, Kip introduced himself to me in French. Kip is from Louisiane for those who don’t know him. We got to speak more in the few days I spent at camp, great guy for sure. After a while, the first week group arrived and I met Tom. I got to shake hands with many TradGangers in a short time span and standing on a pick-up truck got to use many many cameras for the numerous group photos.  Then, after a stop at the supermarket, we were off to camp.

The road was dry and dusty. Not to bad for the first stretch, a regular logging road. Well maintained. To get to camp from that road on the other hand... You see, I drive a 1984 SAAB 900. Not exactly the off road type of vehicle. Every one else were driving a truck or a 4X4. Anyways, I got to camp with all the others and the Swedish steal held up fine none the less.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©