3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines  (Read 22603 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines
« Reply #680 on: July 14, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Oh man thats a great poster and shirt both I love them.I never did wear my shirt home.Simon would you list the bows and the bows length and draw weight you were using around camp too please.Thanks bud and looking forward to the cheese next year.bd

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #681 on: July 14, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
While on TradGang, I mostly hang out on the collectors forum. I have been gathering old bows as a hobby for the last few years, mostly Bears. As you may know, one of the collectors forums finest is BowDoc. Master refinisher, his posts got me into refinishing projects of my own. So, with this virtual help, I refinished a 1959 Grizzly. In the process, I lost the original silkscreen decals as they were beyond salvation. Alan Harford Jr took over Al’s decals and is now the TradGang unofficial Bear decal guy. I PMed him asking for a Grizzly decal and said he was back order and that he had to recreate the file in order to get some more. He also needed to create Alaskan Decals. I offered him my help to recreate the files. In the whole process, I refreshed the whole line of Al’s decals as some minute details were retouched, getting them as close to the originals as possible.

Now, I knew BowDoc would be at camp. From all the descriptions I read about him and the sometimes foul language he uses in his posts, I was naturally a little scared. But Al Jr and I thought it would be a good idea to submit the final proofs to the Real BD and beg for his blessing. I gathered my courage and to my surprise, the decals passed the test. While everybody was out hunting (except Bobby that allready connected), and despite his inhumane schedule as cook, he took the time to match the colors of the original decals with the correct PANTONE colors from my chart I brought along.  

That being done, Bobby, BowDoc and I had a great discussion, about everything. We should of recorded ourselfs or at least take some notes because now I cant remember half of it and we found the solution to the worlds problems. Next year, for sure.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #682 on: July 14, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Simon,  You are a true sport to venture into this group of English speaking traditional bowhunters.  I'm glad I at least got to meet you at the turn over from 1st to 2nd week.  Hope to get to know you as a bear hunter next year.

Your design is magnifique!  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #683 on: July 14, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
BowDoc

In camp, I brought :

• Bear, Grizzly, 1959, 62", 45#, RH, (refinished by me)
• Bear, Grizzly, 1960, 62", 51#, RH, (refinished by me)
• Bear, Alaskan, 1959-60, 62", 45#, RH/LH (refinished by me)
• Bear, Kodiak Special Deluxe, 1960, 66", 40#, RH
• Bear, Kodiak Special, 1956, 64", 50#, RH
• Bear, Kodiak, 1966, 60", 53#, RH
• Bear, Kodiak, 1958, 64", 52#, LH (Sold to Tom Phillips)
• Bear, Super Kodiak, 1972, 60", 55#, RH
• Bear, Kodiak Hunter, 1967 1/2, 58", 56#, RH

Doc (Tippit)

Glad to have meat you too. We might meet again next year.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #684 on: July 14, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
My tale ends with a swim in the lake the evening before my departure. I wonder if anybody took a dive while they were at QBQIII? As I dove in, I knew that I would not hit any fish since all my attempts in catching one with my fishing pole resulted in nothing. The water was nice and warm, for the first 6 inches. Deeper than that... well you know, you heard about ground shrinkage while bear hunting? Lets just say I had less problem than usual to zip up my jeans after that swim.

Kip prepared crawfish à l’étoufé that night. Mmmmm good! I would eat some right here and now! Thanks Kip and I wont forget that invitation at Ville Plate. One day...

I left in the morning of the 23rd and the trip back to Montreal was uneventful. It’s always weird after a few days in the woods to find myself surrounded by concrete and cars.

I will always remember these few days at Bear Quest and I plan in making this trip next year for sure as a hunter on not. The contact with great people will always be far more important than the kill. A nice bear rug would be nice though...

Thanks all for the welcome and a special thanks to Tom for all the hard work he put in this event for witch I am grateful.

Over and out

Simon Dupuis
Montreal, Quebec

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #685 on: July 14, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
It was nice meeting you at the sporting goods store Simon! Great design for the poster and shirts! You are undoubtedly hooked for next year.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #686 on: July 14, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
Simon  I also enjoyed meeting you.Your thirst for knowledge about bows and bowhunting is refreshing.Hope we cross paths again soon.Kip

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #687 on: July 14, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Hey Kip  

Did they remember to have you take an extra tree climber to the Cardiac or did you have to stretch to to the bottom step? Nate

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #688 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Heck no Nate  No one told me and with my short legs I had to jump to reach it,not enough stretch in me.I hadn't thought about that excuse for shooting a small bear on the second evening but that is excuse number 9.Kip

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #689 on: July 14, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
I put the stand up and I didn't have enough stretch either.  I had to jump to the first step.  We were in a hurry.

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #690 on: July 14, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
Simon my friend,

It was great fun to have you and all those BEAR bows in camp.I will always remember our time spent pesting Bowdoc and our discussion of what is GAME....Keep shooting those great BEAR bows and know that a red squirrel can become GAME in the eyes of the HUNTER.....Thanks for the pics....BOBBY

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #691 on: July 15, 2009, 06:53:00 AM »
Simon, you're clearly an interesting guy with a fine sense of humor. I'm sorry you weren't in our camp. Then again, I wish all of the week 2 guys could have been in our camp. Sounds like a great group as well! Thanks for taking all those pictures on Saturday!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #692 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
The second week was great.I came away with a welth of info from Simon and I thank you for that.Looking forward to next year already.bd

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #693 on: July 15, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
So far 4 skulls are being cleaned I delivered all hides left with me to taxidermist,am waiting on call to pick up other skulls so I can get them cleaned up.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #694 on: July 15, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
great, my wife can't wait to have that skull sittin' on top of the TV  "[dntthnk]"    :rolleyes:    :D
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #695 on: July 16, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
Thats great diablo.Hey Kevin my wife can't wait for another bear skull to set on top of our TV.Well actually there setting on a cooler in my shop and not on the TV at all.She ai'nt going for no more skulls on the TV.bd

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #696 on: July 16, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
Simon, Nice to meet you and great job on the poster design!!!

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #697 on: July 16, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
where the hell is Matty?   :readit:      :saywhat:      :thumbsup:  

:campfire:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #698 on: July 17, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Tom & I went down to the Cape Cod to enjoy a day with Rob Schultz. Rob's bow building shop is really slick and I got to shoot his new HH like bow that has No Hand Shock!  After bear burgers we headed back to my place for ribs, corn on the cob, ice cream, and a little liquid refreshment before viewing video of Mr Big (the night before his undoing) & Tom carrying him out of the bush.  Great day...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #699 on: July 17, 2009, 06:16:00 AM »
where the heck is the video Doc ??? and what the hell happend to Matty.bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©