3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines  (Read 22585 times)

Offline Blue Monday

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest III >>---> Start Your Engines
« Reply #740 on: July 24, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Hey Bill, It was my pleasure. Just remember that feeling of your first real bow, glad I still have mine. I got it for my 8th birthday. Bowdoc ,I miss your humor, your cooking and your counseling.I wish you lived closer. Matty, I hope you are doing well. Give me a call when you can. No texting for me as I don't own a cell phone. Rob

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #741 on: July 24, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
I've been checking this periodically to buffer the long wait until opening day again. Rob.. anyone been poking you in the ribs recently while you're driving your new truck? Matty: bears are just like a big dog.. a really big dog like maybe a giant Rottweiler with claws. He'll likely lick your face and you can compare tongues. If he gets upset you just put him in a rear naked (optional) choke until he taps out. Uncle Barry

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #742 on: July 24, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
OK Barry,

I take it that, as the polar bear says "your not there for the hunting"?   :biglaugh:
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Blue Monday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #743 on: July 25, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Hi Barry, I thought my truck tenant went to Iowa with you. I haven"t forgotten about the dvd.I am having a hard time doing dvd to dvd. I have only done copies from tapes. I am very challenged when it comes to electronic stuff. I will talk to you soon. Rob

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #744 on: July 25, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Where's those pic's ? I ai'nt giving up any pics until I get some first.I got a CD or dvd or vdb or whatever they are from Kevin yesterday.Now all I gotta do is figure out how to view the darn thing.And you think your challenged ????????? bd

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #745 on: July 26, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
This is JR. on Dads pc again

Bowdoc all our sh.. is in a pod right now!
We sold our house, so Katie the 4 kids and I are sleeping on mom and dads playroom floor for the next 2 mnths until I finish building our new home.

I will not have any footage ready for you till winter, so hunt hard, eat well and stay alive my good friend!

I won't be around much boys, but git ready for fall and keep shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #746 on: July 26, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
(contd.)
So From here out it was time to get Shootin, I wasnt sure which bow I was going to bring on the trip, I had been shooting My A&H ACS for a few months and was having good results with it.

HOWEVER I had been Shooting My Bob Lee, and had been doing very well and winning lots of 3D shoots with it, SO I decided that that was going to be the bow to bring.  After this decision was made I was doing a bit more reading on the past BQ posts that the shots were VERY CLOSE which admittedly was making me more nervous. So I decided it was time  to Break out the 3D target and get shooting from my Tree stand at close range. (10yds) and 7' high tree stand makes for an extreme angle.  SO I took My trusty Longbows up in the tree and began to shoot. the results. were awful.  I was having a hard time manuvering a 62" longbow from a stand at that angle PLUS the arrow was simply not getting enough time to correct it's self with that same situation.  So on to something new.  After reading Alot of the boys were bringing their old bear bows for this was an anniversary year.  But I didnt have one of those BUT I have my dads Old Ben Pearson BP-H52 50#@28"  Bow doc aged it somewhere near 1965. It still has the original string, and I know for a fact nothing was ever harvested with it.  I thought this would be a good opportunity.  
SO I practiced with it a bunch because it's NOT my regular "go to" bow. I thought the arrow set up was a bit light. So I made up some 700gr 3555 arrows tipped with 150gr Wensel Woodsman broadheads, So yes the Bow was shooting slow but at 10 yds the weight should keep the bow real quiet and plow on through.  the short bow performed well from the tree and could manuver it around really well.
Now I'm not the best shot in the world and I had to think of an alternate plan for attacking bears or BEING ATTACKED by bears!  Knowing that I have this fear.. IT WAS TIME TO BREAK OUT THE MCKENZIE.
So...IF I MISS!!! Heres the back up plan!!
GROUND AND POUND!!

TO AN ARM BAR!

CHOKE FROM THE MOUNT

TO REAR NAKED CHOKE!

ON TO THE HIGH TRIANGLE!

WHERE INEVITABLY I BROKE HIM IN HALF WITH MY POWERFUL INNER THIGHS!

I figured this would be my best game plan, JUST IN CASE "Uncle Barry" and his broadhead .turned out to be FUGAZZI (look it up).
(end)

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #747 on: July 26, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Matty- for future warmups you might want to avoid the "between the legs" hold. Of course, it could save you lots of money and heartache down the road. Dedication is evident though; Matty Balboa for sure.    Grant

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #748 on: July 26, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Doc, your thread has morphed into WWW!!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #749 on: July 26, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Man oh man!!   :rolleyes:  I"ve seen everything now!! Come on Matty, show us the pics where the bear won!   :D
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #750 on: July 27, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
Oh yeah I knew my man Matty would come through.Keep up the good work kid.bd

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #751 on: July 27, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
This thread is growing darker by the second.  :)  Nice grappling form Matt!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #752 on: July 27, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
good start, Matty, keep it coming....  :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #753 on: July 27, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
I can't quite tell from the photos who is winning but I already know the bear is smarter!  :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #754 on: July 27, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
I'm fairly certain that "choke from the mount" is illegal in most states.  It might be ok in states where the bango is the official state instrument.  Other than that, the technique is spot on.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #755 on: July 27, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
elknutz,

I heard anything is legal in Canada.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #756 on: July 27, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
don't let em rattle ya kid keep typing.Hay Matty by the way one other thing when we were talking about mounting your bear ? thats not at all what we were talking about dude. bd

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #757 on: July 27, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Too late bd. Look at that third picture again-that's not wrestling. That's "spooning!"    :D
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #758 on: July 27, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Matty I think this is what you get for being last in the story telling dept.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #759 on: July 28, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
So is it the "Rear Naked Choke" or the "Near Naked Choke"? bw

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©