3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Attention air travelers - T/D bows  (Read 978 times)

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Attention air travelers - T/D bows
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
I'm going to Ohio on Saturday morning to visit family.   I wanted to bring my bow to keep sharp while I'm away and was going to ship it.  Well just recently I decided to take it on the plane.  I recall an episode of Easton Bowhunting where Fred was saying he likes takedowns because he can put them in a carry on.  

I am just curious...how easy is this going to be for me?  I don't think they'll hassle me about some pieces of wood.  I'd like to hear from those who have done it before.  What about arrows? If I take the points off and throw them in my checked bag I shouldn't have a problem right?

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Attention air travelers - T/D bows
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
I'm curious about this too as I 'm traveling with my bow in 2 weeks and DO NOT want to pack it...

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
You will not be allowed to take the bow, even taken down, or the arrows, heads or no heads as carry on.  These days I wouldn't even try it if you are very attached to your bow.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:01:00 AM »
Yup. It either gets stowed in the belly of the plane, or you mail it. I sent mine to Albany, NY, and back via USPS Express Mail. It goes overnight, and is an "accountable" and least likely to get lost.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
"You will not be allowed to take the bow, even taken down, or the arrows, heads or no heads as carry on. These days I wouldn't even try it if you are very attached to your bow. " ???

Airlines don't require you to declare a bow. Put it in your suitcase, and don't worry about it.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
In the suitcase as checked baggage - no problem as long as your luggage arrives OK.  Shipping ahead is the safest option.  
You might get by with it in a carry on, but only because the person running the scanner didn't recognize it.  I wouldn't even think about trying and then having it taken away at the security check.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
Better check the airline regulations. US Air has rules posted right on their site for traveling on their flights with archery equipment now.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
It's not allowed as already stated. If you try it and don't make it through you will either lose it or have to go back and reclaim your checked bag and get it in. This is not always possible if timing is close and checked bag is enroute to plane. Be prepared to miss flight if you try it.
hunt it

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Don't even think about carrying on any part of a bow or arrows. Good chance you would never see them again or miss your flight or both.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Why take a chance? Check the airlines rules on their website. I have seen too many big trash cans filled with all sorts of stuff at airport check points.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
I fit my TD longbow into a section of drain pipe with caps that I think I could drive over without hurting. Stuck in the checked duffle with clothes and junk. I did ship arrows though.
Like others have said... won't do carry on. My guess is Fred mispoke but who knows.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
I live in Italy and travel at least twice a year for hunting the USA,I love to support your economy,never had a problem since I send my bows on checked luggage.Last time I am been back with 16 bows,9 one piece,no problem.If you have to change airplane and the time between the flights is short your luggage can arrive with later flights and sometime a couple of days later.Fred was not wrong at his time was possible to store on your carryon things that now don't pass though
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Ol' Fred ain't been on a plane in a very long time, times dey have changed!  Took alot o things on the plane back in the day, not no mo!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Do not try to carry any of your gear on the plane.. Too scary to think about what could be taken away by security.. Plan ahead and pack the bow deep in a big duffle buried under clothes (for safty).. If security needs to check it they will include a "TSA slip" in your bag stateing that it was indeed checked.. I've flown alot with my bows and never had any issues.. Archery gear is considered Sporting equipment (just like Skis)and included in your free baggage allotment.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
I'm certain that Fred was referring to checked baggage, not carry on. He will often get excited on his show and do or say something crazy. Ever noticed? You can always e-mail him with the question. Bet you get an answer too. With that said don't even think about putting your bow/arrows/broadheads/field points, etc. in your carry on.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
I've traveled with my takedown recurve several times.  You have to declare it and leave the case unlocked so TSA can inspect it if they want to.  The first few times, there was no problem.  The last time I traveled with it, TSA apparently took out the bow and then just tossed it back in the case, not bothering to put the limbs and riser in the special cutouts in the foam that fit them.  As a result, there were dings on the riser and limbs from where my bowsquare or something was forced against it when they closed the case.  I've decided that it's worth my effort in the future to send the bow ahead by UPS.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bushwackerbill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
What about just the riser as carry-on? I'm planning on going to Africa and am taking my takedown with 2 sets of limbs and 2 sets of arrows.  One set of each in each of my wifes luggage and one in mine just in case they "misplace" a suitcase. The only way this would work is for me to carry the riser as carry-on as I only have one riser. Basically, I would be only carring on a piece of wood!!
I hate winter.  Why would anyone live here?  Oh yeah, walleyes, ducks and large whitetails!

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
bushwackerbill,  I would be afraid that one of the TSA's would consider the riser as a potential weapon, a club, and not let you on with it.  I once was not allowed on a plane with a fishing reel because they said that the string could be used as a weapon to choke someone.

Offline bushwackerbill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
I was going to have it OK'd before I went. It seems a little over the top but whatever. My daughter flew home at Christmas with knitting needles and that was no problem.  Very strange.
I hate winter.  Why would anyone live here?  Oh yeah, walleyes, ducks and large whitetails!

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Bushwackerbill,  OK'd by who?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©