3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Attention air travelers - T/D bows  (Read 977 times)

Offline bushwackerbill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Attention air travelers - T/D bows
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
I was going to contact the airline to get their policy on carryons. I figured if she could bring a pair of 1 ft long knitting needles a 1 ft long chunk of wood shouln't be a problem. I brought back a 1 litre bottle of Kahlua from Mexico in Jan and had no problem with that. As far as being used as a weapon it would be far better than a bow riser in my opinion, far heavier and sharper when broken!
I hate winter.  Why would anyone live here?  Oh yeah, walleyes, ducks and large whitetails!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Even if the web site says it is OK the regs are up to the person at the counter who may not even know-and won't care if the airline even has a web site. Send it ahead by USPS or FedEx and don't worry about the airline.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Bjorn's right.  The TSA people generally won't even know what a riser is and whether it should be allowed or not.  They make a snap decision and whatever they determine is the "rule" of the day.  One might not look twice at it, the next might toss it out.  Trying to win that arguement while trying to catch a plane could turn into an excercise in frustration.  

The bottle of Kahlua probably shouldn't have made it through.  Just another good example of sometimes things do, other times they don't.

Shipping ahead is the safest, beyond that I would put it in checked bags and hope like heck it shows up.  A backup riser in your wife's bag would sure be good insurance.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
Good stuff guys, thanks a lot.  I'm going to check it, and bury it between a bunch of clothes.  I know how those airline employees take extra special care to handle suitcases gently.    :rolleyes:

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
If you put it in a suitcase make sure it locks, lots of thieves working for the airlines...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »
I hate TSA. I take lots and lots of plane rides. Here at my local airport I have no problem with the way I carry a firearm and ammo together. All by TSA regs. In Dallas though you get more TSA people with ZERO common sense I have to explain thier own regs to them and have them look it up.

My point is there is NO consistancy with the hires. If you have to question it, just check it. One might say it's fine and one might confiscate a riser or something.

I'll be flying with mine in a few weeks and I'll put the limbs and riser in the bags they came in and cousion with clothes so the monkeys that handle the bags don't mess it up.
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
I'll probably just end up mailing my bow then, In the last year traveling with the airline with all the animals on the rear end I have had SEVERAL things STOLEN from both me and My girlfriend, Including Christmas gifts and Boots..  Then the airline essentially does nothing about it...Once it's gone.. It's gone...

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
Back in the 70's I carried on a one piece Pearson Colt. No cover, just the bow and stuck it in the overhead.
Things sure have changed........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline inrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
I flew home from Eureka, CA a week and a half ago with a take down riser in my carry on without being asked any questions on United Airlines.  I don't know if my point of going through security would make a difference or not but, the Eureka airport is very small. I'm thinking if my flight would have started in SanFransico I may not been allowed to take the riser in my carry on.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matty:
I'll probably just end up mailing my bow then, In the last year traveling with the airline with all the animals on the rear end I have had SEVERAL things STOLEN from both me and My girlfriend, Including Christmas gifts and Boots..  Then the airline essentially does nothing about it...Once it's gone.. It's gone...
Don't even get me started. Grrrrrr!!!
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Yep I lost a digital camera a few years back...

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
Update:  I'm back from Ohio and I put my bow in my checked luggage.  No damage, and no hassle.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
you will have it checked in . otherwise it aint going to happen. marco
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline foamkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
In flying to tournaments over the last few years this is what I do. I have a small padded case for my takedown. My suitcase is large enough that I put the case in plus my arrows in an MTM arrow case. If you angle the arrow case just right it fits with no problems in the suitcase. I have never had a problem on any airline with this setup.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
My T/Ds fit in my arrow cases they are Hard Plastic, with Locking tabs Will that work? I think it should all fit in my luggage but just looking for options

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©