3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood shafts question...  (Read 416 times)

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood shafts question...
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
Well first, I have no idea about wood arrows. Any insight would be great. first off what I was looking at getting a set of the Kustom king parallel wood arrows for 70.95 a dozen and give them a try. I was woundering what weight to get?  Icut my arrows to 28.5 and draw my bow to 26.5. I shoot 51 pounds and have 145 grain heads. Should I add weight up front to get a higher efoc? Have any idea the grain per inch? I would like to give them a try, but have not a clue on them. Any starting point ideas? thanx Travis
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood shafts question...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:16:00 AM »
The actual mass of wooden arrows varies. What you need to work-out is the spine weight.

This will give you a bit of a guide:

1. Draw weight plus 5.

2. Plus 5 if cut to or past centre.

3. Plus 5 if using a low-stretch string.

4. Plus 5 for each inch of arrow over 28".

5. Plus 5 for a point over 145 grains.

It's up to you whether or not you want to go up in point weight. It might depend on the size of the game you're after. Going up will certainly be a plus for penetration. As for the total weight, I recall that I had 30" cedars wearing 160 grain points that weighed 620 grains, so yours might be 550 to 580 grains at the length and point weight you mentioned.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:18:00 AM »
Spine weights come in five pound increments, of course; so 70/75# arrows might be anything from 70# to 75#. If in doubt, go stiffer.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Good idea to check with the folks at Kustom King for their recommendation when you order.  Not knowing everything about your setup, I'd say that shafts in the 55-60# or 60-65# range would work fine. Among other things, one rule of thumb is to subtract 5# of spine for every inch of draw under 28 inches.  In an 11/32 shaft at those spines and your arrow length, the finished arrow will likely come in around 525-550 with a 145 grain head, a good weight for deer size critters.  Your FOC with a 145 grain head will be in the 10-12% range, I believe.  That's an educated guess based on experience.  Would need a balance point measurement to calculate it exactly.  Good luck.  Woodies are fun.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Like Orion said check with Kustom King. They will be able to get on track.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
If you shoot a longbow, you'll need different arrows than you would if your bow is a centershot recurve. Good advice above about contacting Kustom King. They can ask a few questions and get you set up with the right arrows from the start.

For example, I shoot a Howard Hill longbow, 52#@28", and draw it to 26". I find that a 28" arrow spined at 45# flies well for me. On a 50# recurve I have, 65# arrows get the job done.

Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©