3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing paint from carbon arrows  (Read 716 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing paint from carbon arrows
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
My used arrow box is filling up with carbons with feathers torn or worn off.  Most of them had been capped and crested with paint and I would like to recycle them to new condition.  What is the best way to take the paint off?  On aluminums I used to just use paint stripper, but will that damage the carbon?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing paint from carbon arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I think you can use acetone, I have used it to take off the writing on GT'S
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Acetone would be the starting point for me. Mfg. specs call for wiping the shafts down with acetone prior to fletching.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
I'd scrape as much paint off as possible with a rather dull knife (in order not to cut into the carbon shaft). Then use a heat gun to warm up the rest of the paint, then wipe with a rag with acetone.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Goof Off will take off the paint without hurting the shaft. I use it all the time to remove manufacture paint labels on my shafts. Probably wouldn't hurt to follow hockey7's advice and scrape as much off as you can with a dull knife. This might make it easier with Goof Off.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I've used Minwax Antique Wood Restorer for a long time and never had any problems. It's basically a very low strength liquid stripper.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
Never thought of goof-off, that does work pretty good for a lot of other things. I usually use acetone and it's worked fine so far. However, no matter how much I pre scraped, it was a lot of elbow grease for a clean shaft. If someone comes up with an easier way to do it without hurting the shaft, I'm all ears.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
If they are dipped in Bohning paint, it is very difficult.  I dipped a rag in fletch lac thinner and wraped the shaft in it.  All it did was turn it into a googy mess.  I tried soaking some AD wood grains in it, the wood grain peeled off.  I found the best thing to do is scrape of the feathers, then sand the shaft with some lite sand paper.  You can redip or just fletch them up the way they are.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
I scrapped off the feathers and sanded to get as smooth as possible and put wraps on. I couldn't find anything to get the paint off with that I had around.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I just use a dull pocket knife, hold the blade perpendicular to the shaft and scape all the paint off.  Then go over it with fine steel wool.  Ready to paint all over again.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I just tried one using the back side of a knife as a scraper and it did a pretty good job all by itself.  A little clean up with acetone and it's good to go!
Thanks for the help.  :notworthy:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 03:56:00 AM »
Lacquer thiner is good, acetone is better, MEK is the best. It is also the strongest smell. Don't be going it in the back bedroom to use it or they'll find you passed out on the floor.Invest in a fletching removal tool and scrape as much off as safely possible. Or chuck in a drill and sand with 80 grit until you "bite" through the finish then remove with one of the above solvents.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©