3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broad heads in a back quiver  (Read 920 times)

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
Broad heads in a back quiver
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Looking for your advice and suggestions on how to keep broad heads, two or three blade, sharp and not rubbing against each other while in the bag, leather back quiver? Any hints on how to keep shafts from clanking as you walk?
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broad heads in a back quiver
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Heavy leather Hill style quivers work best when they're well broke in. The leather conforms to the curve of your back and holds shafts tightly so they don't move around. You might try foam in the bottom to locate the heads away from each other. Most don't. We just sharpen BH's when they need it in the field if necessary.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
I've never had a problem after 25 years of using a Hill style backquiver.  This style lets the arrows fall to the side, which pretty much eliminates arrow rattle.  I keep arrows sharp by using a file.  Broadheads should be checked daily for sharpness, no matter what style of quiver is used. Most people don't realize that when using a Hill backquiver,the feathers of the arrow are interlocking with each other, the shaft cannot rotate, or spin, which means that broadheads aren't rubbing against each other.  They might be touching, but it's not the problem that people  imagine it to be

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
I use an old "horse brush" cut to fit in the bottom of my backquiver. The brissels of the brush hold the broadheads in place and keep them from rattling around and dulling. I have used bird seed aswell, a few inches in the bottom of the backquiver and your good to go. When your done hunting or they get wet, just pour out and add more when the quiver has had time to dry.

Hope this helps!  :thumbsup:    :campfire:  

Raven >>>>>--------->

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I just touch them up when needed, and always check them before hunting.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Multiple blade heads were not made for backquivers. The key is a soft, pliable backquiver that conforms to your back. This will cause the quiver to "collapse" and keep the arrows from rattling around.

As for the heads, should check them every couple days and touch them up when needed.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
What everyone has already said, plus I put some soft foam in the bottom of the quiver and kinda stick'm in, not real hard but in so they stay. Can still pull out easy. As was said above ,check'm for sharpness!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Drop a handful of seed oats in the bottom of the quiver, plain old oatmeal works too.

Billy

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Uncooked rice is good too.

Billy

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
I have found that is I have my back quiver at a more horizontal angle the arrows won't rattle & it's easier for me to get to them, they kind of rest on each other.
  I usually put some melted machine tool protector on the BH. I melt the protecter & dip the BH in it, it will cool & stay on the BH & protects it really well. You do have to remove it before shooting though. Frank   :archer:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
When you think about it, there is most likely going to be contact on the three points of a two bladed broadhead at most, leaving the cutting edge in fine condition. I don't worry about it.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
What Sunset Hill said, the guy knows back quivers.  No need for oats, etc. if the quiver is working properly.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
And....when oats get wet, you get oatmeal.    :rolleyes:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©