3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need help selecting a longbow  (Read 806 times)

Offline moraito1

• Trad Bowhunter
need help selecting a longbow
« on: May 28, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
I'm looking to purchase a new longbow.  I have only owned 1 so far (martin bushmaster by howatt) and made a few selfbows as well.
It is very difficult to narrow the choices down since there are so many bowyers out there that make excelent bow.  Perhaps some of you could help me choose the right fit for me.
I'm looking for a 45# @ 28 LH reflex deflex bow with a pistol grip handle to hunt with.  I would like it to be quiet, smooth, forgiving, rugged and simple and fast enough.  So far I have narrowed the seach to:

Kota
great northern bows
thundersticks
dwyer bows
greeatplains
tomahawk
timber hawk bows
pronghorn
fox

Price is not much of an issue since they are all more or less in the same range depending on extras and so on.  What are your thoughts and why?  thanks in advance

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need help selecting a longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I have a Greatplains and a Tomahawk. GP is my pick. I came to this by taking an alphabetical approach. Looking for a Zipper so I can get done.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Dwyer Dauntless, mine shoots like a rocket and they are great people to deal with. I also ordered there Endeaver.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
I would look up Dave Dwyer ... his bows are excellent and priced well.   www.dwyerlonbows.com

joevan 125, you beat me to the punch!!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
There are some very nice bows on your list.  The RER Vortex is another that fits with what you are looking for.
By far the best is if you were able to attend one of the big shoots and get your hands on some of them.  Are you anywhere near the Denton Hill shoot?  Lots and lots of bows to choose from there!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I love my Turkey Creek longbow!
It draws so smooth, is light, and dead quiet.
The RER's and Treadways I've shot were great,also.

Offline moraito1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
yeah i was considering the Dwyer for a long time....that would be a good choice for me...however i'm not crazy about the Riser overlays on the back of the bow handle.....i would rather do without them.  I think the reason they have them in the first place is to smooth out the handle a bit.
I've seen other good bows without them so I'm not sure that having them makes much difference...

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Out of the ones you listed I've shot the Tomahawk and it was a fine bow.I would find a used one though as I've seen several sell for $400-$450.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Check out Chad Holm of Holmmade Traditional Bows, he's a sponsor on here, Very Good Bows, Im told ... Super good Man ...

Offline Blake Dustin Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
You don' have it listed but I would get a Buffalo Bow from Big Jim.  Very similar to a Black Widow PLX at about $500 you might not like the standard grip shape  but he will grind to any shape desired.  He also tends to send out a test bow to give a shot, best bow I have seen for the money and I hope to be getting one soon. He's a sponsor here and the website is bigjimsbowcompany.com if memory serves.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
I just took delivery of a Sarrels Blackhills Longbow, Bob is a TradGang Sponsor as well.

His bows are reasonably priced, delivery was about six weeks, and I can honestly say it's one of the smoothest bows that I've shot.

Just another to add to your list of choices  :bigsmyl:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Hill Country Longbows are great bows for the price. Roman doesn't have a web site but Tollgate Archery carries them. Your list will be very long shortly.    :eek:
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
If you really want a pistol grip I'd stay away from the Tomahawk. I have a 62" Diamond SS that I love but I had to take a dremmel to the grip to get it anywhere close to a pistol grip. It's a great bow and shoots well but I'd bet there are others out there that cost less and are just as good.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
You have a good list to choose from, which will make your decision difficult.  I have a Pronghorn 1-pc and 3-pc.  Very nice bows.... quick, very smooth, no hand shock, and VERY quiet!  Good luck with your decision.
The work praises the man.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
I have a Toelke Whip that I really like. Great guy to deal with. Fast service. I would definitely add them to the list.
 http://montanabows.com

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
I only ever tried a Tomahawk, and I love it. Even though 770$ sounds harsh, it's nothing compared to what some people pay for their expensive compounds and all the gear they need with it.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline kingrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
I'll second the Toelke Whip.I've shot aLOT of high end longbows and the Whip(for me)has the best of shootability and quietness of shot-out of all of them.

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
lost creek and kanati are 2 great bows that have pistol grips.they're also reasonably priced.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
and i picked up a Fox royal crown longbow just about a month ago that has a recurve grip, medium, like i like.  It is 48 @ 28 and 60 inches long.  It is smooth drawing, quick, and shoots like my others (where i'm looking).  it is less than a year old and i got it for about 60% of the new price.  An RER is on my list also.  i can't speak for the others, but they are all good.  It's just according to what fits you.
    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Crow Creek Black Feather
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©