3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "CHEEP"  (Read 1517 times)

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
"CHEEP"
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
I thought this title would get lots of attention, as its so often the main topic of so many threads on this site as well as other Trad sites.   :knothead:  

I'm amazed at how many are looking for the "Cheepest" of this or that, instead of items of outstanding quality at a fair market price. This has prompted me to do some research into the price of archery products of yesteryear and compare them to today's price equivalent, along with other goods that could be compared to. I did not include custom made bows or like products available today as custom products of that time were virtually unheard of.

I've been involved in organized archery since my early teens, so I picked the year of 1954 to compare prices to. I used a copy of Archery Magazine June 1954 and a 1954 Bear Catalog for prices of that time and the 2007 3 Rivers, Kustom King, and Jake's Archery catalog for current figures. Other prices from 1954 I used my memory to the best I can remember, so these figures are not chiseled in stone, but they are close.

Five different bows in 1954 averaged $51.18 ea., in 2007 five bows averaged $330 ea. price increase was (6.6 times)

Five arrow makers (wood) averaged $14.90 per doz., in 2007 five arrow makers (wood) ave $67.40 per dozen. Price increase was 4.5 times.

Shooting Gloves 3 types ave $1.85 ea., in 2007 six types ave. $13.59 Price increase of 7.3 times.

Broadheads/ doz. ave $4.06, in 2007 they averaged $43.10/ doz. Price increase of 10.6 times

Bitzenburger fletcher price ea. $12.75, in 2007 priced at $70.99 ea. an increase of 5.8 times

Gasoline per gal ave .17 cents, in 2007 ave price $2.75 per gal. Price increase 16 times.

Medium priced house ave $13,500, in 2007 $250,000 Price increase of 18.5 times.

New Car (ford or chevy) $500, in 2007 (ford or Chevy) $25,000. an increase of 50 times.

Coke or Pepsi from a vending machine, .05 cents, in 2007 price .75 cents an increase of 15 times.

When you look at the overall picture we really have some reasonable equipment to choose from, and although we all like a good deal, I think many have taken it beyond reason. I know that when I am looking for a piece of equipment I like to know its avaliable. Dealers and manufactures have to make a profit to stay in business. Being a manufacture myself I know the margin is not large.
It was certainly not the intent of this thread to offend anyone, mearly trying to point out its not as bad as it seems.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "CHEEP"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
A point most valid.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Cheap is what you were saying then. I thought this was going to be a bird thread. Yes things are more expensive and every dollar counts, nothing wrong with being frugal and cost conscience.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Too bad my wages haven't gone up with the ford and chevy crowd!!! I don't spend too much on stuff that I can make for myself tho,its part of the fun of trad! That said,I'd rather spend a little too much for something that works, as spend much too little for somethin that half-ass works!  :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
I have always believed you pay for what ya get. If ya want quality ya pay the price. Yeah I make some things but essentially if you make something you are investing in it with time and effort as well as cost of the base product, ie shafts to make arrows with you want quality shafts if you want quality arrows that goes with the fletching and the products you seal and paint the shaft with as well as the point you put on the end of the finished product. Cheap breaks, quality don't. Just my opinion.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
"Frugality" is a Practice of Mine, when and where it will do  ME , and My CheckBook, the Most Good.  :thumbsup:  
  I agree that  "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"  Money+Common Sense+Price Shopping = Frugality  so, I Price Shop, which is "prudent" and Try to get The Best Product, for a Price that wont Break the Bank.
  And if its something I can Make and Repeatedly get Good/Great Use of, I aint gonna buy that Item Again!!
  :thumbsup:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
Its unwise to pay too much, but its worse to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you loose alittle money, that's all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes loose everything, because the item you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balances prohibits paying a little and getting alot. it can be done.

If you choose to deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, If you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.

There is hardly anything in the world that someone can't make a little worse and sell a little cheaper. People who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey.
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 05:35:00 AM »
Don't forget supply amd demand. Archery isn't something one has to have to survive. Most everything one needs in archery can be made by hand. You buy archery product because you want them and don't want to talk time to do it yourself.

Things on your other list are either needs or addictions and can't be manufactured at home by most. The want it, need it, have to have it to survive and cannot produce it themselves so demand is high and you have to pay whatever the manufactures want.

Spent $50 or $100 and a weeks time with some hand tools you can have everything you need on the h archery side.

Let me see you do the same when you want your next car.

Look at the knife business. anyone with a hammer and a file can make a knife. There are millions of people and companies that make knives too. You can buy a knife that will get the job done for years that cost less than $2.00. That knife will also likely have better steel in it than one from the 50's that cost 20 times that amount. Today people buy knives because they a pretty, everyone has more than they need and it times are tough they either quit buying them or make their own. Comapnies that make them will suffer greatly.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
With most things you get what you paid for.

My house needed a new can opener. Not the electric kind, twist the wrist kind. They had one at the store for $11.00. And they had one for $3.00. No sense spending too much, right?

The FIRST time I tried to open a can it crushed in my grip. It wouldn`t even punch a hole in the can so I could at least smell the coffee.

Maybe I can get my three bucks back, and get one that works.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
I try to buy the best I can, IT MAKES FOR ALOT MORE FUN, PERIOD!!!!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline leon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
I like to buy the best when I can. But used.Leon
61# Acadian Woods Classic

58# Saxon American

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by leon:
I like to buy the best when I can. But used.Leon
An excellent approach to life....except when purchasing food or Toilet paper.

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
As a former economics teacher, I was constantly going over these things with my kids, talking about opportunity cost and inflation, etc.

A quick trip over to the Bureau of Labor Statistic's inflation calculator (http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl) shows that $10 in 1954 had the same buying power as $75.65 today, according to the CPI inflation rate.  Now, there are all kinds of holes in the CPI rate, and especially among our group here at Tradgang.  But, it is still interesting to consider the value of a dollar over time.  
Few things in life are set in stone, timeless; money definitely ain't one of 'em!
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline Dryrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
I've always differentiated between "cheap" and "inexpensive".
You just can't get old world quality at third world prices.
Larry

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
I agree with Bob!! Going too cheap is dangerous! I think Mac nailed it. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
I had that typed up on a paper when I was in sales, and when someone wanted something new at a used price or something unreasonable, I would give them one of the papers. It used to make them sit back and think about it.
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
What always got me was arrow shafts and spine testers. I understand that arrow shaft prices are due to the government, it's not due to suppliers or vendors. But still, I just can't see paying those prices. Back a few years when a dozen matched shafts cost 12 to 15 bucks, I might have thought about it, but not now. Sure, if you plane your own or use dowels, you end up with waste and it costs you some in time and work. But the time and work that it costs is enjoyable to me.

I always thought spine testers were over priced. Especially when you consider what they do and how easy they are to make. And over night one popular model jumps up 80 dollars in price.

But these things aside, I don't think most things in traditional archery are overpriced.

The nice thing about this hobby is that you can spend as little or as much as you want and still get your arrow to hit the mark.

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
I vote for quality. I would rather have fewer great things than more "so-so" things. Buy enough quality to get the job done. If you buy cheap stuff, you will probably have to buy it more than once and your savings go out the window. And on top of that, you won't have the pleasure of using a quality tool or shooting a well-made bow.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
so- I know how much I would need if I find a way to go back in time; but what could I take that would be more valuable then than now- so I could afford what I would want? They wouldn't take my credit card; and my money looks fake.
  What would I take back that was more valuable then - than now?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Jimbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »
Everyone now days is always looking for the "cheapest" and the "best". Most people do not have an eye for quality anymore. My Grandpa used to always tell me that you can get the cheapest, or you can get the best, but not both. I build custom longrifles on the side, and folks just getting into blackpowder about loose their minds when I tell them what I get for a rifle. I simply reply "let me see you make one from scratch." Ha! Most people have no idea what goes into building a custom rifle or bow, so maybe to them the prices do seem extreme.
Jimbob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©